Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinions needed:Gear-Float/Drift fishing salmon/steelhead  (Read 6130 times)

Hoop71

Opinions needed:Gear-Float/Drift fishing salmon/steelhead
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »

I know this has been asked many times but I would appreciate opinions.

Looking at getting into Salmon/Steelhead fishing as stated above and need to purchase gear. I am attending the course offered at Sea Run this Thursday and can get a 10% discount on anything I buy that night so why not take advantage of the discount.

I am thinking a CP setup as this method is very intriguing to me. I know there is a learning curve with the reel but I am willing to put in the practice as my research has shown that those who use the CP rave about it.

I also have read that I should purchase the best gear I can afford so I was looking at the Islander Steelheader which is $379. Otherwise I was looking at the Okuma Raw 2 which is about $260. People have said to buy entry level and you can always upgrade but I don't really want to go through the hassle of selling and buying again. If for some reason I don't like the Islander and/or this type of fishing I have read that they are fairly easy to sell used if in good condition. Does this make sense or am I just crazy at  possibly buying an Islander as my first reel?

As for the rod this is where (for now) I will try to save some $$. Was looking at the Trophy XL for around $100 which is right around my preferred price point. I want a rod that can handle most of the fish I may encounter in the local rivers.
Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Could possibly spend up to $200 for a rod that comes highly recommended.

The last item that i feel is a must have is a pair of waders. Again while doing my research I have read that the Simms G3 Stockingfoot are a good wader. I would rather spend the money on a good pair and again if for some reason I need to sell they may be easier to sell. I don't think I need to get into the G4's but opinions wanted. Could I get by with a lower "quality" pair of waders?

Lastly boots. These I am not too worried about as it will depend on what fits me best/most comfortable with the waders on.

Any other "must haves" with regards to this type of fishing?

I have some gore-tex jackets that will do me until I can get a dedicated fishing jacket.

I am open to any/all tips,suggestions etc.

Thanks for the help!

EZ_Rolling

Re: Opinions needed:Gear-Float/Drift fishing salmon/steelhead
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »

I love my Islander and the trophy was also my starter pin rod .... Great set-up !! Have since upgraded the rod.

The Sea Run crew are great they will set you up proper

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »

never tired trophy xl but have heard mixed reviews that its best bang for the buck or inconsistent and the poorly constructed ones shatter.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »

Seems like you are putting in some good research. The islander is a good reel, but not the only one out there.
Talk to the guys at sea run. They are pretty honest guys and will set you in the right direction.

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

Frogg togg makes some really good quality waders at a good price, jackets as well I got their waders and jacket highly recommended.

fisherforever

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »

X2 on the Frogg Toggs jacket. Great jacket for the price.

Hoop71

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:56:21 PM »

Any local dealers with decent stock of Frogg Toggs?

Drewhill

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:09:19 PM »

Islanders are great. Might want to look at a Fenwick HMX or G Loomis GL2 pin rod.

kindalonismo

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »

x2 on the Islander & trophy set-up.  I could see an upgrade on the rod down the road, but still have been very happy with the set-up

Joeb

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »

Just know that gear with price does not account for fish hookups. Spend the money on gas and time and then upgrade your gear.

Pin-nook

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »

If this is your first season float fishing I would highly recommend going with a baitcast setup rather than a centerpin. Master that or get used to that first before getting into centerpins. It's great that you are doing the research but understanding how floatfishing is done is probably easier with a baitcaster because it's a little more versatile.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 11:37:54 PM »

For what it's worth, it's not necessary to go out and buy all the bells and whistles if you're just starting out salmon/steelhead .... even at a 10% discount. Get yourself a used setup and upgrade when you really know what you want.

Animal Chin

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 02:59:19 AM »

For float fishing, personally I think the rod is more important. Actually in general, the rod makes a bigger difference I think. And get good hooks, I like Owner cutting point #2 and 1 and Seaguar flurocarbon.

Sea Run is an awesome shop with great staff, Andrew and Cody will set you up right.

I ordered all my wading gear from LL Bean.. $79 for waders and going on my third season (breathable stocking feet) and just got my Goretex Paclite wading jacket from them ($149 on sale). The jacket is awesome, all the features I want and it looks good enough to wear around town. I am very happy with their stuff. Whatever you get, go breathable and think modular, as in layering system.

Buy good boots.

I'd get a low profile baitcaster, but nothing wrong with getting a centerpin. May take you a while to bomb casts so you can fish more spots, especially when you may not have too much choice with where you can drift because the river is busy during salmon season.

I'm still at the stage where, by any means necessary to get into fish... then good line and hooks so I don't lose them.

Good luck. And if you have the cash, buy whatever you like. Nothing wrong with being a gear who*e.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:02:05 AM by Animal Chin »

wonder

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 06:40:52 AM »

I ordered all my wading gear from LL Bean.. $79 for waders and going on my third season (breathable stocking feet) and just got my Goretex Paclite wading jacket from them ($149 on sale). The jacket is awesome, all the features I want and it looks good enough to wear around town.

I was looking at their jackets. How do they fit? I'm 5'7 was gna get a medium.

zap brannigan

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »

Don't get turned off by all the guys saying go with a baitcaster setup first, if you want to fish centerpin then go for it quite easy to cast after a day or two on the water, I will say though that a bait casting setup is more versatile as you can fish spoons/spinners with them.

As for stores stocking frogg togg gear there's not much selection sadly, sea run had their tech toad jackets as did Fred's, and army and navy had some over priced low end waders, don't know why local stores don't stock their stuff but they don't best bet is to order it off their site directly or an American site like fishusa.com.