Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fukushima Sashimi?  (Read 12059 times)

blueback

blueback

Re: Fukushima Sashimi?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »

As I posted with some concern, when the radiation was first reported in the media (a few years ago) to be leaking into the Pacific, that I am somewhat concerned for my family because we consume alot of salmon. Back then people on the board bandied ideas back and forth about whether there was a safety issue or not. After reading the article attached to the link I posted, I am anxiously awaiting the results of the tests done on migratory salmon caught in our local waters. Unfortunately, the governmant claims to be still wrestling with the data, and that's why it's not yet published.   

Burbot

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »

I would not eat anything from the pacific right now.

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »

I would not eat anything from the pacific right now.
I eat Pacific Salmon a couple times a week/Halibut once a week and now Tuna as well and report no ill effects-that's just in my home not counting my regular Sushi feeds in & around the city.

The simple fact is that the people who are the most fearful are the ones who've rarely left the trailer park-once a person flies to the other side of the planet a few times they understand how large the Pacific really is.

blueback

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:44:15 PM »

We eat salmon a couple of times a week as well, Dogbreath. I am glad that you don't notice any ill effects in yourself, however mutagenic effects are often only noticed after a period of time (sometimes years). I myself have suffered two different varieties of cancer and finding 'causation' is notoriously difficult (beyond generalised mutagens we find everyday in life). As one of the accredited authorities in the article says, no amount of radiation safe, given the additive effects included with the background radiation. Again; I anxiously await the latest local data.

Suther

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »

There isn't make-you-lose-your-hair levels of radiation or anything,  the problem is symptoms often take years to materialize at which point it's too late. That said,  not going to stop me from eating. Just remember that bigger fish have higher levels of radiation and mercury because they eat little fish who are radioactive and it builds up In the large fish. This is why dfo says don't eat dogfish over 60cm. (Its mercury specifically for them, but same principle)

fishbandit66

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »

Just remember that bigger fish have higher levels of radiation and mercury because they eat little fish who are radioactive and it builds up In the large fish. This is why dfo says don't eat dogfish over 60cm. (Its mercury specifically for them, but same principle)

One of my friends used to do a lot of sport fishing in the polluted waters of Hong Kong. According to him Mahi Mahi was fairly safe to eat as they grow so fast and don't have time to build up pollutions.

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »

Halibut again tonight-not dead yet......

mojo7

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »

If uber environmentalist David Suzuki isn't concerned with eating local fish then I'm not going to be concerned with eating locally caught salmon.

"  Recent testing of migratory fish, including tissue samples collected from Pacific bluefin tuna caught off the California coast, assessed radiation levels and potential effects on marine food webs far away from Japan. Trace amounts of radioisotopes from the Fukushima plant were found, although the best available science puts them at levels below those naturally occurring in the environment around us. Natural, or background radiation, is found in many sources, including food items, medical treatments and air travel. "

http://www.straight.com/news/499616/david-suzuki-despite-fukushima-scientists-say-eating-west-coast-fish-safe

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »

Gotta love those fear mongers...if it werent for them Id have nothing to laugh at. ;)
Take the T out of Morton.

Suther

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »

One of my friends used to do a lot of sport fishing in the polluted waters of Hong Kong. According to him Mahi Mahi was fairly safe to eat as they grow so fast and don't have time to build up pollutions.

Fairly safe. Lol
Fish that live shorter lives are less susceptible. So salmon that lives up to 5 years won't get the same levels as a dogfish that lives 20.
It should be noted that fukishima is still leaking radiation,  and the fish out there have only been in contact With the source for a short time.  We might come to realize this problem actually gets worse before it gets better.

Edit - just read the straight article,  and it says the radioactive plume won't be here till next spring,  and 300 tonnes of contaminated water per day is leaking into the ocean. So this problem is far from resolved.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:46:58 AM by Suther »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »

Will probably start seeing nine eyed Japenese people born pretty soon though.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ambassador

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »

If you are really concerned - keep an eye on cancer rates among BC's First Nations that are in close proximity to salmon-bearing streams and rivers. They eat far more salmon than most on a per-capita basis and will be the canaries in this coal mine should there be any salmon-based radiation issues here. 

I'm with David Suzuki on this one. "Fish will stay part of my diet, as long as they’re caught locally and sustainably, and will remain so until new research gives me pause to reconsider".

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Burbot

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »

Eleven minute piece on the ongoing calamity, and future horrors, of Fukushima. Yet again Tepco is not disclosing anything like the full story. If you don't want to do 11 minutes, spin forward to the last 5. Watch it here. Hold onto your balls.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=040_1384817880

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.