Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Of A Life Time? Fishing Report June 3 to 4  (Read 5556 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fish Of A Life Time? Fishing Report June 3 to 4
« on: June 05, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »

Sent Fish A. his brief report of 12 words this morning and he wrote back wanting more info.. ???

Anyway, for those interested here goes my report on a trip to the Merritt and Kamloops area on the 3rd and 4th of June.

After trying for springs unsuccessfully on Wednesday and the Fraser on the rise again I could not refuse the invitation of Lew and Terry to join them at Maple Leaf Lake. As well Leaf Craft was still in sick bay so what better time to roll up the Coq. Highway.

I would not have my guide Nick this trip that got me into some rainbows a couple of weeks ago including that 3 pound 12 ounce beauty that now wetted my appetite for more of those acrobatic trout. This had been my introduction to seeking out these,one of most beautiful of a fish species.

I would have to rely on Terry and Lew for some tips and hopefully they would tie me some hot flies as I was baffled with all the different ones to use at different times, depening what hatch was on at a certain time.

As well I had studied the 1 hour 30 minute video Nick and I had shot on the previous trip which I thought was better than most fishing you see on TV. If I was younger I would not mind the challenge of doing one as Nick is such a super fisher. He has so much knowledge and skill to share and can he every catch fish. We often say he could find one in your bath tub.

With no chironomids or flies I stopped at Gwyn's place on the way as he had told me he would  kindly lent me his. He also sent some of his fresh hot house tomatoes along for us to enjoy.

As I hit Hwy 5 on the outskirts of Hope I was determined not to rush for a change. Time to just take in the sights of nature on a beautiful June morning. The sun was bearing right into my eyes and had to put on the sun glasses on as she peered over the Cascade Mountains.

With good weather in the forcast it should be the rain free trip I had hoped for.

Just before the toll booth I passed a sign saying the Summit was 1244 meters (4,081 feet) above sea level, never had noted that before. Also observed last seasons snow along the forest edge and wonder if I should pick up some to put in the cooler to lay a rainbow in.

I decided against it as that would most likely would jinz me. I am confident about catching most species of fish but I had to remind myself I was a rank beginner at this type of lake fishing. Also as I said earlier Nick would not be there to correct my mistakes. :D

I decided against the snow idea but did stop just past the summit to stretch the legs a bit and give Betsy a bit of a rest. Figured she would appreciate it after the long climb up that 12 % or whatever the grade is as we climb out of the valley floor. All along the steep grade on the climb up I kept noticing were a number of vehicles had left burn marks on the paved shoulder. Going too fast I thought and overheated.

During the walk about I saw bottles and tins everwhere that I could not leave behind. In about 30 minutes I had almost enought to pay the $10 toll. ;D (actually amount was $9.30. The trouble was where to put them as I always take too much stuff on these trips, might need what ever it is. ;D My truck is never very clean or organized as Lew, Gwyn and others love to bug me about but that what happens to a busy guy that most likely also fishes too much. ;D I filled every nick and cranny with my new discovered wealth and happly paid the toll. No, not with the sack full of bottles etc., but would have been good for a laugh if I tried I thought. ;D

As I hit Merritt I stopped for an ice cream cone, some groceries and picked up a copy of the fresh water fishing regulation that was one thing I had left at home or could not find in the rubble of the truck. :D

While coming out with an arm full of groceries I ran into Federal Conservative candidate Stockwell Day who was campaigning in the parking lot. Had a nice visit with him, a real relaxed type a guy. I wished him the best in the upcoming election. I said if we do not send the Liberals to the penalty box for all the mishandling of our hard earned tax dollars this time there is something wrong. He liked my Maple Leaf T shirt and hat but I am sure he is pulling for the Flames tonight .

As we parted he thanked me for stopping and spending my money in Merritt.

I pulled out the directions Terry had given me to Maple Leaf Lake but decided first to take a run out towards Corbett Lake on 5A  for a look see.

On arriving I saw lots of boats on this private lake and pulled out the video camera for some shots of the boats. Soon after a fellow was into a big one, so he said. I filmed for a while but must of given him bad luck as he finally broke it off. :'(

Back on the road again towards MLL but had to stop beside a golf course and found 3 golf balls to go with the bottle fund. Hey, if I keep this up the whole trip will be financed. However I did come to fish, some anyway.

I arrived at MLL around 4 and was warmly greeted by Terry, Lew and his wife. They both have lovely 5th wheels, a home away from home. They both had every thing very tidy and orderly not like my setup. :D

Two other friends from Chilliwack, Don and Ed dropped over and all 4 of them gave me some ribbing about my dis organization. They also laughted at my oversized fish box and rather large net. For big fish I thought I should tell them but wisely kept my thoughts to my self. Don and Ed being regular from the Long Table at Riverside Rest. ribbing and tall tales as long as the table reins supreme each morning.

While they sorted out my so called fly gear I attempted to make things more presentable, inside and in the trucks box, at least be able to find things, maybe.

Lew points out to me I have 2 sinking lines and graciously gives me one of his floating lines he puts on one of my reels with the backing that was on the fly line I purchased some time ago. They also join up the 15 foot tapered 5 pound test  leaders that Nick had recommened I use to the fly lines which I do not know how to do. Told you I was a rookie at this in the 10th degree.

In thanks I give them some fresh strawberries I had brought up with me and Gwyn's delicious 'tom e toes'.

Also brought Terry a dozen Titelist golf balls so to secure a bed for the night in his trailer. ;D

With every thing now set up for me Terry, Lew, Don and Ed headed out for the afternoon bite. I complete my cleanup, sort of and launched Leaf Craft 2. I tried to cram way too much into her 9 foot lenght which I would find out later spoiled her maiden fly fishing trip.

Will continue this story shortly as will finally get down to the fishing part. Also I am sure Fish A has not got this far as he has rolled gone out for pizza and some pops to go along with this read or was that Randog. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 05:08:14 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Fish Of A Life Time? Fishing Report June 3 to 4
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:31:21 AM »

Part Two, Will try to finish.

As I threw the 22 thrust electric motor into gear, Leaf Craft 2 responded quite nicely and quickly left the campsite quickly behind. I joined the others on a shoal or Island as the boys called it and saw Don was into a fish. I pulled out the video camera to film a little of the action.

This will be easy to fill out the 2 a day limit I thought as I threw my make shift anchor ( an old Railway steel plate ) over the side of Leaf Craft 2 as I anchored a little ways away fom Lew. I hoped I was not embarrasing them with this make shift equipment where they have every thing first class.

Fish are breaking surface feeding on an ant hatch. "Not good Lew says as they will feed on these and as they take a long time to digest fishing could make for a tough
 few days of fishing". Thanks for the good news I thought.

With a couple of hours of fishing time I pull anchor and move across the lake and see a few fish rising but they would not rise for my offering. ??? Boy is it tough pulling the anchor out of that Marl bottom.

The weekend warriors start arriving early including a expert from some Vancouver Fly shop one fellow in a float tube tells me.

All of them keep asking me as they pass me "anything",
"have not been out long was my weak reply".

I am sure they realized by my poor casting ablity as I could not hid my inexperience. Also I was constanly getting that 15 foot leader with the indicator around the net, an oar, sweater or the spare battery I had brought out, too much stuff.

Why a spare battery when you had a good pair of oars I thought as the comedy act continued as I spent more time untangling the leader than fishing. Boy does that tapered fly line every get twisted around things. :'(

As the fish continues to rise I spend some time filming, getting a good shot especially of the setting sun through the trees along with a nice reflection from the surface of the calm lake being a bonus for the other wise fruitless day fish wise for me.

As I find my way to the launch the new arrivials from the city are launching their circular water craft and I hear some of them say" hope for a full moon and we can fish to 3 am" ??? They say they will use leeches what ever that is. I have heard of blood sucking leeches, but to fish with them??

I entertained coming out to join them after a late supper but I would make about one cast and then how to untangle in the dark. Lew says they use head lamps which I have used to collect dew worms with but did not bring along. Terry tells me I made a good decision to stay ashore.

Anyway, I retired to the comfort of Terry's kindly provided sleeping quarters and was asleep with the CKWX news echoing in my ear piece of all the bad news in the Big City. Why do we hear and read so much about bad news. If we heard more good maybe the world would be a better place to live in. So glad I am in God's country and I tell him so before  I drift off to sleep.

Before I knew it my inner clock said it was 5:30 and I quickly slipped into my clothes and grabbed my video camera to see if I could capture some bird life.

To my surprise I was the only one up and the 3 am fishers were sleeping under the stars in their sleeping bags as I slipped by them so not to wake them as I headed to the lake.

I was luckly enough to get a shot of a hen golden eye with her day old brood who I surprised having their breakfast along the reeds at the edge of the lake.

Terry was not far behind me to arise and the smell of some freshly brewed coffee waffling fom the 5th wheel was an invitation to join Terry for some sausauge and eggs as well. Also enjoyed the strawberries and corn flakes. You can not fish well on a empty stomack.

After breakfast Terry headed to the lake as he only had a short time to fish before returning to Chilliwack.

I got my things organized and then Lew invites me in for tea and a muffin while he tied me up a damsel fly (spelling) for the sinking line and a chironimid for the floating. We get a call over the 2 way radio from Terry that he has got a nice one of about two pounds. Well done. Lew's wife Anita shows me some wonderful crafts she has been working on. The lovely setting of this lake certainly brings the best out of us.

After Lew has done up the flies for me I head for where I left off the night before and fish are rising but not taking until Lew comes over from the shoal. I no sooner say to Lew I have had nothing and finally sucess as I feel the pull of a fish on the damsel. My thrill is short lived as the fish gets off without even showing itself.

At least I have some confidence now. Lew and Don are both into some fish but my line remains limp. I see a grebe nesting along the reeds and I move in for a shot of her lone egg and some good footage of her mate as he comes in very close to tell me to move on.

I also see the loon that has ben patrolling around my boat hoping for me to connect with a fish that he may have attempted to steal but he gave up and caught his own and swallowed about a 14 incher. Spellbound watching this, forgot to film it, maybe once in a life time shot.

With all this wildlife around to film I thought I should pack up and head to the Lake Nick and I were at a couple of weeks ago and see if the loon that was on the nest there had hatched her young yet.

As I bid Lew and MLL goodbye I check the watch and it reads 12 noon.

On the return trip towards Merritt I stop and film some more birds that I had not seen before in a Ducks Unlimited project. My boy Gordon will enjoy the species of bird life I captured on film.

I am then stopped by a police road block and the officier makes note of the 2 empty beer bottle case I have in the front seat.

"No beer here" I tell the suspicious officier as he leans through the open window for a sniff. "I use them for storing items in," "All in the cooler' he adds with a grin. I tell him I seldom have one, glad he did not see all the empties I had picked up or I would have some explaining to do. ;D

The talk turns to fishing as I answer all his questions without a slur and he tells me about some hot lake I had never heard of or knew were it was.

Free of my brush with the law  ;D I reach Merritt and slip into the Home Rest. for a piece of apple crisp swirled down with 4 cups of coffee while talking the time to read a couple of papers to catch up on the news of the day.

As I jump into the car it is like a oven, the temprature is hovering near the mid 30 the announcer on the Merritt radio station NL says.

I reach the lake about 4 after getting lost taking the wrong turns a few times.

Some other anglers are there and say it is pretty slow today, those ants I think back to Lew's comment he made yesterday.

I quickly launch and spot the pair of loons not far from the launch with one young riding proudly on her mum's back. What happened to the other egg I had seen in the nest 2 weeks ago?. Maybe the eagle that was circling around got him.

I get some great footage and some sounds from the parents as they warn me to keep my distance. Worth coming for this even if I find no fish I think.

The winds dies down after a couple of hours of not a bite.

I see some large fish rising in the middle of the lake, those darn ants I think.

I start the electic kicker and head over to the spot traillng the 2 rods and their offering. I no sooner cut the engine at the spot of the rising rainbows and the sinking line starts screaming off the reel. As I just grab the fly pole a rainbow in the 5 to 6 pound range clears the water by about 3 feet. A guy in a float tube near by shouts" thats a dandy" You are telling me I think as its repeats the jumping performance 3 more times.

After a few minutes The fish seems to settle down so I grab the video camera for a shot of the now arched pole and hopefully the jumping fish for evidence. Ever try filming while fighting a fish? I hope he comes up again as I ready the large net, hey might have been not a bad idea for the large net and the large cooler to put him in I think. ;D

I put the camera down and just then off he goes, I peer down at the fast disappearing fly line, I see no backing and only a few turns left. No time to start the engine to try and follow this monster for I did not inticipate this, let alone hooking anything. My only option was to try to stop him by clamping down on the reel a little.

Wrong wrong as the 5 pound line parted so quickly it would make your head spin. O no I think as my hands are trembling sso I could hardly reel in the line to check the damage.

I find the Lew's hot fly he had tied for me gone as it appeared to have broken right at the hook.

With time running out I search Gwyn's fly box for something similar that I find and are able to tie on as the shaking of the paws is stopping some what.

Maybe moving a little quicker than I was before may work so I tow the newly tied on fly by rowing. The fly had been wet for a couple of minutes at most and another one on.

This fish not as big as the first, does not take line or jump but swims around the boat and then falls off after couple of minutes into the fight.

Wow maybe I am getting the hang of this but that was to be it as the fish continue to mock me by continuing to rise after the ants that were littering the surface all around the boat.

As I row to the boat launch the loon's now distant calls serenades me away from their lake. I am sure after that brief action with a battle with the biggest rainbow I may ever hook I will wait for a day not that far away when I will ask permission to enter the loons and those rainbows world once again.

Looks like I am now seduced and hooked by yet another type of fishing I knew nothing about a few weeks ago, the challenge of the rainbows.

If you have not tried it do, its frustrating a lot of the time but the hours of trying, learning and waiting are well worth the sight of the fish of a lifetime suspended in mid air, an imagine frozen in my mind for ever.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 09:48:15 AM by chris gadsden »

otto

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 03:19:51 AM »

Excellent report Chris.....makes me want to jump into my truck at 0300 hours this morning and leave the city crap behind.  used to drive all night (no traffic) in the interior and go fishing in the morning, cook my catch then sleep during the heat of the day......man o man i wish i was'nt here right now!! Many thanks for getting me jazzed up about summer trips!! 8) 8)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 07:31:30 AM »

great report,was like I was right there the whole time.Thanks for taking the time to post,you should save these and make an on line journal ;D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 09:01:17 AM »

It was 3 pounds...not 2 and you had another breakfast !!!!! Shame !!!!
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 06:51:44 PM »

O.K. Chris, read the whole report. Quite exciting but you realize Lew will take all the credit as he tied the fly. I suggest you don't tell him.

The trout caught at Maple Leaf Lake on a size 14 black with red wrap chronomid proved to be delicious cooked up on my recently purchased barbie.
 ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 08:40:49 PM »

Sounds like you had a great time!  If you stick with it and start tying your own flies, its really REALLY rewarding...I was up at Buck Lake near merritt fishing on saturday.  I'd been up visiting my family in Kelowna, and my dad and I decided to go fishing for the day.  Because of the recent full moon and the hot weather, we werent anticipating much action.  We dropped the bellyboats in, fished deep with some dragon patterns we'd tied years ago, and waited.  Around 2 in the afternoon it was bite after bite.  I caught two, one around 2lbs, the other a little smaller.  I imagine in a few days it will be crazy fishing there!  I'm thinking of heading up to Lundbom lake this weekend too, my mum once caught an 11lber there!!!

marmot

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 09:48:14 PM »

Lundbom is one of my favourite lakes but haven't been there for awhile. A size 10 halfback used to be deadly there as were damsel and dragonfly nymphs along the reeds on the north shore.
Have a good time.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 04:19:26 PM »

thanks Terry, might not get to go, work's getting hectic!!! we'll see though.  The halfback is one of my old standbys....mimics so many insects.  I love fishing big dragon nymphs...big ol ugly monofilament eyes!!  It just seems that I get bigger fish with 'em.  Those and scuds.  

Randog

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 06:04:14 PM »

Great report Chris, I just have to say that the trout are much larger on Canucks lake ;D

Dynamite kid

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 09:13:50 PM »

They don't fight that well in may ,just like the fish at maple leaf lake  ;D.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 09:57:37 PM »

what a great report chris must say reading it was better than watching the hockey game tonight .you should put all your fishing adventures into a book and publish it one day. keep it up its guys like you that make this forum a real joy to be part of and be a member of fwr.com      pepsitrev 8)

Lew Chater

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 10:40:59 PM »

Great report Chris.  Glad to see that you are starting to enjoy the fun of still water fishing. Every time I go, and that's for quite a few years, I watch and learn something new. Just when you think you've got it down a bit, something changes,, weather, turnover, ant hatch, wind etc, and you are humbled again. It never ceases to amaze me how the fish can be on the bite and then it's like a switch turns them off and you might as well go tie flies. The bird life, wild flowers,  and various other animals make the viewing great and it really doesn't matter if the fish aren't biting for a while. Really enjoy the quiet and the clean air at 4000 ft. Just got home with the truck and 5th wheel, did all the cleanup, paid the bills and will be heading up for another 10 days as June is the month to hit the lakes. Will tie up some specials for you and you are welcome to join us anytime. Will look for a Walter for you and keep him busy. Terry trying to get up again also. My good lady baking cookies and muffins at this moment, so we will eat well again ! Sure glad the kids are at home  to cut the lawns. ;D ;D
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 05:21:00 AM »

Thanks to you, Anita and Terry for the hospitality.

Getting together for the tea, muffins and the good friendship before heading out for a fishing adventure is nore enjoyable than catching a fish although I would have enjoyed catching Walter on Friday on the fly you tied me.

I have forgot the name again but I will continue to call it the Lew Chater special. If you have time tie me a couple and leave wth Ken incase I can get away and see if that fish I lost will have another try at the "Lew Chater' special.

O and I will take your advice and put that new sinking line on with as much backing as possible. Got to be ready for Walter.

Randog

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 08:04:15 AM »

You retiered guy make me jealous :(   I can't stand to think about 25 more years before I get to join the "Geritol jet setters" ;D