Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting in The Snow  (Read 3319 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Hunting in The Snow
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »

Was in snow most of the day and came upon a covey of willows with 4 falling to the 16 gauge.

Then 4 mule deer crossed in front of me a short time later with one being a 2 point. The disappeared into the timber so I followed and after a bit there they were, standing looking at me. I pick out the buck and the cross hairs find the target, in a range of about 30 yards. Just as I take off the safety and prepare to squeeze the trigger a doe walks right behing my target, ouch not taking a hence of hitting her.

As I wait for her to move the 4 decide they have seen enough of this strange creature and move into thicker brush. I follow but no more sight of them.

Oh well I did not want to go home on the second day of my hunt and want to meet up with the Master who is lake fishing not too far away.

Toprod

Re: Hunting in The Snow
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 08:35:47 AM »

We were in region 8 Oct 1 & 2 and snow hunted also.

I took a fat 3 point while hiking some bluffs, he stood up from his bed at 80 yards. Last move he ever made.

The next day Oct 2 my hunting partner took his first deer, a two point. We ranged the shot at 296 yards, he was sure glad we spent a lot of time target shooting out to 400 yards over the summer.

Saw one big blue grouse that escaped us and also a small black bear. It was a great trip in to BC's interior, what an incredible place we live in.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Hunting in The Snow
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »

Snowed real hard while hunting today, in about 4 to 5 inches, glad I had good snow tires on. Only saw a doe and her 2 young ones. A few tracks. Forgot to mention I bagged a coyoye a few days ago that was chasing some cattle around.

Got some good pictures and video of a black bear on the Nicola yesterday that was feeding on the dying pinks. Has been a good 9 days away and tomorrow is the last chance for a deer on this trip, time to get a few coho I guess.