Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: JUNE 5TH CAPILANO  (Read 3130 times)

FishKid

JUNE 5TH CAPILANO
« on: June 05, 2004, 02:56:21 PM »

Fished the cable pool today and hooked into one 3 pound coho after loosing it in a 2 minute battle or so.  i had a liitle bit of trouble with it cuz I was using my 7 foot spinning rod.  Also had a lot more follow my sppon and hit it out of aggression.   Saw a nice school of coho's in the cable pool anywhere between 30-50 fish, atleats.  The water was perfect for using spoons today.  Usually when the water is too high spoons aren't that effective.

25poundSmiley

• I'm a llama!
Re:JUNE 5TH CAPILANO
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:01:32 PM »

Hooked into a 2.6 pound coho just below the suspension bridge today...don't know what the area is called but my buddy lives around there, so we just go down his back yard and climb down the trail to the river.  I used a small 2 inch army issue buzz bomb with a single barbless hook since the pool area was long enough for me to get a decent cast in, but i had to reel quite fast. i was almost half joking around with the retrieval when i hit. I couldn't believe it as i've never caught anything on a buzz bomb there, but was having no luck with my crocodiles. dinner is gonna be nice. caught a few decent sized rainbows, but threw them all back.

FishKid

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 03:48:28 PM »

I forgot to mention one thing in my report.  I was fishing off the cliff at the cable pool.  My 7 foot rod wasn't long enough to bring the fish around to a spot where i could sfely lift it up.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 09:29:00 AM »

Thanks a lot for the reports Robert, greatly appreciated. I might try and head out there later on and knowing even the smallest amount of info is very helpful. Good Fishing All.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 12:06:41 PM »

correct me if I am wrong 25lb...but I think what you caught were probably smolt steelhead..not rainbows....from my days at the hatchery, I can't remember there being resident rainbows.
You don't make friends with salad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 01:19:56 PM »

There are resident rainbows in the river, although they are stunted. You can tell the difference between a smolt and a rainbow by their colour. Smolts are generally chrome in colour. Rainbows are in their spawning attire ie. coloured.

25poundSmiley

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 01:41:40 PM »

Fish Assasin, yes, thank you. They were indeed rainbows...i do know the diff between steelie smolts and resident rainbows. They are very chubby and quite dark...and put up an nice little struggle on light casting gear. Fun for the inbetweens when you don't get any coho nibbles.