Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to cook trout  (Read 14453 times)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
how to cook trout
« on: June 04, 2004, 09:01:46 PM »

hello. I was wondering how to cook trout that are about a pound, without having to worry about the bones? last time I tried, it was very difficult to eat with all the bones. thanks for any help :)

otto

Re:how to cook trout
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 09:08:41 PM »

yo Chum man!! gut the fish, remove the head. rinse in cold water and stuff cavity with sliced garlic, parsley, green oinions, salt/pepper, add a few lime & lemon slices and a couple thin curls of butter. place in hot cast iron fry pan or roasting dish, place under the broiler on med heat. turn in about 15 minutes or when the skin starts to peel away from the meat. when meat is cooked (looks like cooked chicken breast) pull it out, slide the skin off and take a fork, and "pull the fish meat along the rib bones. should slide right off in chunks. open beer and enjoy meal!! 8)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 09:14:30 PM »

thanks otto ;D

Yopesco

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 09:41:14 PM »

If you like fried stuff, then you should try this:

To a clean and beheaded fish add:

- Salt to your taste
- Some garlic powder (one teaspoon is OK), you can use fresh garlic too if you prefer.
- A touch of black pepper (optional)
- Squeeze half a lime
Marinate it until next day in the fridge (optional)
- Cover with all-purpose flour (optional too)
- Shake it to get rid of excess flour and fry it at medium-high heat in about 1cm deep of oil (can use less if you like). It takes about 3-5 minutes on each side, depending how crispy you like it.
This is what I always do with small trouts and men they are great!!!!
Hope you like it  ;D

Yopesco

otto

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 03:05:27 AM »

now thats what i call a trout recipe!!! thanks man! i did that with one of the 3lbers i had in the freezer, marinated it while it was thawing. used whole wheat flour though. yummmy!!  8)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 08:20:10 PM »

Hey Yopesco!  I think  I may have tried that one before.  ;) Its really good.  

Yopesco

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 06:16:35 PM »

Sure you have Jonny5!!!!!  I'm glad you guys liked it, that's my mom's old recipe for less glamorous fish back in Cuba.  :)

Yopesco

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 08:40:36 PM »

if youre that bored maybe you should go fishing ;D

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 10:27:10 PM »

can you skin a small trout? ???

otto

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 12:22:52 AM »

yo matt......no, its very difficult.....but what you do is panfry the trout and when it is done the skin peels clean away from the meat, use a fork to pull the meat chunks away from the bones.....!

Joe Fish

• Here fishy, fishy!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 10:44:47 PM »

Otto, another method I use is similar to yours, except I drizzle some lemon juice over the outside, wrap the whole thing in tin foil, cook on my BBQ on medium to medium-high heat for about 8 minutes, turn the foil pack over, cook another 8 minutes, then dig in!

The skin peels away really easy, and the easiest way I find to take it off the spine is to start at the back tail, and pull the spine out after I've picked off one side from the bones.

otto

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 11:19:29 PM »

i would do the same, or sear a steak, but the "strata" council in my building prohibits BBQ's due to the building having wooden balconies....... >:( :'( :(

however i have done the tinfoil method on hot embers while camping. very nice!!! delicate flavour, goes well with beer and a after dinner pipe of dark smoky Latakia pipe tobacco!!!

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 10:41:15 AM »

I like them filleted (skin on).  Place lemon or lime slices over the flesh side and BBQ with the lid on.  I prefer the lime as it goes better with Corona.  
p.s. Bring a pair of tweezers to remove the latteral line bones for boneless trout.  It takes a little time, but better than the gag reflex.