Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67016 times)

dennyman

• Old Timer

The major dump of rain as predicted has started for the Valley. River should rise and be much more colored over the next few days. Bring your rain gear you are going to need it if you are going fishing.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer

High and dirty. Always amazes me to see anglers fishing dirty water... :o

mvelasco

got word from a friend out this am and he said he can still see fish moving through but the water was still rising

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

water has certainly risen, couldn't get to my nice spot on the lower part, just to high now. Friday I could walk all over the area. We went a bit higher, clarity about 1 1/2 foot but still managed fish consistently. no idea what the lower looked like after 1030 but based on the rain we were into higher up I wouldn't be surprised if its toast or pretty close.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

Sure would be handy to have a motorized camera that could pan and tilt under KWB, could get vis updates as well as record all the snaggers out there!
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

mvelasco

Sure would be handy to have a motorized camera that could pan and tilt under KWB, could get vis updates as well as record all the snaggers out there!
lol, that wouldnt be such a bad idea

Sandman

• Old Timer

There used to be a live streaming web cam on the Chilliwack river.  I think it was vandalized though.
Not all those who wander are lost

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visibility in the Lower 6 to 8 inches 1 hour ago but saw some coho salmon on the beach when I changed the garbage bin on the KWB bar that I rescued before the rising waters claimed it.
A fly guy was having some success. :P

Humpy

Hey guys, just curious to see if somebody can help me out. I want to fish for pinks in the vedder. Would pink jigs and spoons under a float do the trick and if I do get my limit, should I bring roe just in case for the coho and springs? Also, Would a small baitcaster work or should I bring a small spinning rod? I have a fly rod too. Thanks
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

FishingKing

Hey guys, just curious to see if somebody can help me out. I want to fish for pinks in the vedder. Would pink jigs and spoons under a float do the trick and if I do get my limit, should I bring roe just in case for the coho and springs? Also, Would a small baitcaster work or should I bring a small spinning rod? I have a fly rod too. Thanks

Just get out there and give it a try bud, give us a report when you get back.

Sandman

• Old Timer

That's all you will ever need.
Not all those who wander are lost

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Float fishing using pro cured krill for pinks.

bigblue

• Old Timer

Pinks primarily feed on krill while growing up in the waters off Alaska and I have found them to be very receptive to bait or artificial which are similar in appearance to a krill. I think one of the reasons fly guys do so well with pinks is it is quite easy to make a fly that looks and move like a krill.  In case of spoons and spinners, small size (like 1/8 or 3/16 oz Crocs or Dicknite spoons) are more effective for the same reason. I have never tried pro-cured krill, but I would assume they would be deadly on pinks. One thing that has always dumbfounded me was the propensity of pinks to hit buzz bombs in the beach. 

soliak

G'day guys,

Going to hire a car and head out to the Vedder for the first time this weekend since moving to Canada.

Planning to fish w/ 8-17lb St Croix Rod, 5000 sized Shimano, 20lb braid and 30lb flurocarbon leader w/ Crocs, Spinners etc.

I have waders and know the basic entries points to the vedder from googling. Planning to pop the Croc/Spinner on underneath a float, let it drift down a bit then reel it back against the resistance since I don't own centre/baitcaster gear to properly drift.

Am I missing anything here lads? Any tips appreciated.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Going to hire a car and head out to the Vedder for the first time this weekend since moving to Canada.

30lb fluorocarbon is a mite heavy - most people will use leaders in the 8 to 12lb range. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.