Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67033 times)

bunnta

don't get how ur mainline is weaker than your leader? shouldn't it be reversed? so u don't lose ur entire set up?

losos

Hey guys, just curious to see if somebody can help me out. I want to fish for pinks in the vedder. Would pink jigs and spoons under a float do the trick and if I do get my limit, should I bring roe just in case for the coho and springs? Also, Would a small baitcaster work or should I bring a small spinning rod? I have a fly rod too. Thanks

I wouldn't recommend anything shorter than 9' when fishing with float just because of the depth of the river in some pools. Small baitcaster will work fine for pinks and coho just remember that there are springs  there. As for the lure pinks will attack anything. I used Colorado blade and later some wool on app. 18" leader of 8 lb.with exactly same results. I was catching fish at the rate of 1 fish for not even 2 casts and all fish were caught right in the mouth.
Just out of curiosity why would you retain pinks at their state in Vedder?

Drewhill

I wouldn't recommend anything shorter than 9' when fishing with float just because of the depth of the river in some pools. Small baitcaster will work fine for pinks and coho just remember that there are springs  there. As for the lure pinks will attack anything. I used Colorado blade and later some wool on app. 18" leader of 8 lb.with exactly same results. I was catching fish at the rate of 1 fish for not even 2 casts and all fish were caught right in the mouth.
Just out of curiosity why would you retain pinks at their state in Vedder?

There are some chrome pinks in the vedder.

1son

Which part of the river is producing now? Not looking for honey holes or anything, Upper river? Mid? Lower? Or would fishing the river mouth be the better option but I imagine with the rain it will be the same? Thanks guys.

LOL wow so many pointless questions just go fishing and you'll find your answers.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

LOL wow so many pointless questions just go fishing and you'll find your answers.

Like it or not the thread title is about the fishery info for the Vedder as well as the water conditions, "some" on here forget that. Not everyone has the knowledge needed already and wether we like it or not we need to remember that. There's probably a lot of people on that were once in the same boat as this new guy.

sumasriver

Go Fishing and find out the conditions yourself. I saw coho , pinks  and springs landed today.  Go and find them.

The hunt is the true  joy.   Catching a fish once in a while is  just  the dessert.

FishingKing

Like it or not the thread title is about the fishery info for the Vedder as well as the water conditions, "some" on here forget that. Not everyone has the knowledge needed already and wether we like it or not we need to remember that. There's probably a lot of people on that were once in the same boat as this new guy.

No one should ask 100 questions about every fishery and expect answers. Get out there and try it yourself. You know where the river is.

1son

I know and get what your saying we all started somewhere but have you seen his post? I'm all for helping but you gotta wonder does this guy even fish with all the ridiculous question that can be easily answer if he'd just put in the work and go fish or search on the web properly do some reading and research it's all there rather then asking 10 questions back to back all in 1 post I dunno just has me puzzled. Best knowledge you can get is if you go out there and experience the flow first hand and try new things rather then sitting behind a computer picking people's brains.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

As the thread title states... anyone with a water condition update?
Was fine today, I even caught a jack and broke a chinook off.

Many pinks being taken by the BB and fly guys. :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:26:24 PM by chris gadsden »

milo

• Old Timer

Which part of the river is producing now? Not looking for honey holes or anything, Upper river? Mid? Lower? Or would fishing the river mouth be the better option but I imagine with the rain it will be the same? Thanks guys.

A friend of mine has developed a fantastic Android based app for the Vedder system that tells you everything you need to know - water levels, visibility, temperature, approximate number of fish entering the system, even the average number of anglers on most popular spots. He is taking orders, let me know if you are interested. It's not cheap, though.

I am beta testing it and it tells me that the Vedder has been in fine shape today. Levels are holding, and so is visibility. Lots of fresh coho in the system, as well as springs. Fewer fresh pinks that last week. There were eleven springs landed at the Keith Wilson Bridge  today.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:44:01 PM by milo »

losos

There are some chrome pinks in the vedder.

I caught 20 maybe more pinks in one session and none was chrome.

1son

A friend of mine has developed a fantastic Android based app for the Vedder system that tells you everything you need to know - water levels, visibility, temperature, approximate number of fish entering the system, even the average number of anglers on most popular spots. He is taking orders, let me know if you are interested. It's not cheap, though.

I am beta testing it and it tells me that the Vedder has been in fine shape today. Levels are holding, and so is visibility. Lots of fresh coho in the system, as well as springs. Fewer fresh pinks that last week. There were eleven springs landed at the Keith Wilson Bridge  today.

Very interesting will keep my ears open if I hear any more good things about this app wouldn't mind taking a look at it keep us posted if it's as good as it sounds this thing will explode and you got a potential buyer right here thanx for the post.

losos

How is it that the same kindness we or some of us have toward handling fish is not extended to fellow anglers?
Jewelz has legit question and not everybody has time to drive an hour to Chilliwack to find that water conditions aren't good for a decent day of fishing.  It cost money too considering gas prices of today. However I agree with some that one needs to find for himself
good holes to pull fish out of.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Yes we were all in the same boat once but I never had the internet to show me how to fish or where to go.  I just went to the river and paid my dues.  Lots of fishless days but I learned a lot.  Also learned that people are more willing to share info when you talk to them on the water.  This internet thing in some ways has gotten out of hand (sorry Rod).  Want to know if the river is low enough to fish? Go to the river level site and check the levels.  Then go out to the river and take a look at whether its fishable.  Make a mental note for the next time.  There are plenty of resources here that teach newbies how to fish the proper way.  Find out how, then go out on the river.  Spend a day and observe where people are successful using these techniques.  Make a note of where these spots are and hit them the next time.  This "I don't want to waste gas" thing does not sit well with me.  I realize there are some experienced fishermen here that want to be helpful and that's good on them but you are just feeding these guys that in some cases contribute little or nothing to the rest of the forum.  IMHO, while there are benefits to posting fishing reports on this forum, giving out specific locations does more harm than good.  Especially when this info is posted in the General Discussion section. 

Rant is over now.  Must go fishing.

Sandman

• Old Timer

Go Fishing and find out the conditions yourself. I saw coho , pinks  and springs landed today.  Go and find them.

The hunt is the true  joy.   Catching a fish once in a while is  just  the dessert.

No, the fishing ("the hunt") is the pie (dessert). It is the sweetest and most scrumptious of past times.  You need to be able to enjoy it, just by itself, like a good apple, or strawberry rhubarb.  If you are enjoying your pie, and you just see a fish while you are fishing (an occasional rise, a silvery flash in the depth of the run/pool, a shadowy log cruising the shallows) that is the ice cream.  Having one of those fish show any interest in your fly/lure (a quick tug, the splash behind the skated dry, a shadowy bullet chasing it right to the boat/shore) that is the whipped cream.  Actually catching a fish (the sudden hook up, the battle between you and the prey, the balancing act between the need to land it before it tires too much and the stress on the line/hook set) that is the cherry.
Not all those who wander are lost