Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: male vs female pinks  (Read 7025 times)

jacklam999

male vs female pinks
« on: September 13, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »

I had been fishing for pink the past few days in richmond, and just wondering why so many people release a male pink salmon and not a female pink?Is it because itz not good to eat?

Thank you

RiverRunner

Re: male vs female pinks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:07 PM »

Males taste the best, especially the Hump part. I would compare it to lobster

Humpy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »

They are both good to eat as long as they are not coloured but that depends on how you cook them. I have seen people keeping coloured ones that they probably smoke. But in general, female pinks taste better then males, because males store there fat in the hump, sometimes the you can't tell there is a hump. Not to say males don't taste good. A couple times this year on the mamquam/squamish system, I kept two males, which I thought were females and they tasted just fine. I have kept males with a hump and they taste fine too. The majority of the people prefer a female over a male. Hope this helps.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

JPW

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »

If you need roe, kill the female.
If you are not interested in roe, only in the meat, let the females live and kill the males.
Male salmon are far better table fare than females - in all species.

Of course, the above only applies to migrating salmon, which deteriorate rather quickly in fresh water.

bluenoser

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »

Animal Chin

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »

Roe.

I like to eat salmon though, so I'll keep whatever is in mint shape, meaning majority of scales present or silver..silver..ish. However, earlier in the season, I'd be more apt to keep a female in not so perfect shape because I wanted the roe.

And for those that don't use your roe, please be so kind as to offer it to your neighbors before chucking it in the water. At least chuck it on the rocks (it's pretty much ruined if left in water).

I see Milo's point though that it'd probably be better for the species to release the females and keep only males.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »

I will keep males if they have almost no hump. I find their meat to look and taste better. I kill females if I want to stock up on a bit of roe for coho season. This year so far I have kept 3 males which all tasted great for a camping dinner feast between 7 of us  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »

it doesn't really matter as long as the fish is clean. Females convert fat to their eggs so I doubt there is much advantage even if the male has a hump. The hump simply looks less appealing. But I always fillet my fish anyway.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bbwong

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »

Both tased the same. Hate people get the roe from does and discard the fishes.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »

If you need roe, kill the female.
If you are not interested in roe, only in the meat, let the females live and kill the males.
Male salmon are far better table fare than females - in all species.

Of course, the above only applies to migrating salmon, which deteriorate rather quickly in fresh water.

This is correct. Roe pigs are bonking every female where i fish. then promptly offering the fish to anyone else on the shore. ::)

Tight lines to all

bbwong

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »

Offering the fish to others is fine, at least they make another family happy. But far too often those roe pigs just throw the fishes back to the river after getting the eggs. >:( >:(