Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trolling the lower Fraser  (Read 4541 times)

kanuckle head

Trolling the lower Fraser
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »

Chinook retention just opened in the early Sept. month
Water clarity is a teal green, not mercy, almost  a steel head green
In this situation has anyone had hookups trolling a Chinook offering with any success

Just want to see if it is worth the effort targeting un-harassed migrating Springs up river, bar fishing boar's me!!

Kh       

kanuckle head

Re: Trolling the lower Fraser
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 12:37:05 AM »

Will this technique work in our waters??
Columbia river brothers, doing well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhCckFm0ekE

Yes they are anchored & the current is moving faster, but tolling will simulate that .........no?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:59:21 AM by kanuckle head »

RiverRunner

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »

Dont see why it wouldnt work

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »

Chinook retention just opened in the early Sept. month
Water clarity is a teal green, not mercy, almost  a steel head green
In this situation has anyone had hookups trolling a Chinook offering with any success

Just want to see if it is worth the effort targeting un-harassed migrating Springs up river, bar fishing boar's me!!

Kh     
Smart guy! Yes trolling will work very efficiently...

SteelHunter

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »

Would fishing be possible in a 8ft inflatable in the lower fraser with electric 30lb motor?

What gear do you need on board or do you even need a boating license to operate should a small craft on the water?

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »

Would fishing be possible in a 8ft inflatable in the lower fraser with electric 30lb motor?

What gear do you need on board or do you even need a boating license to operate should a small craft on the water?
I wouldn't f around with a electric motor on the Fraser dude. Its a big river with strong currents. Save that for the lakes. If u had an out board of say 9.9 horse, then yah. it would be feasible.

Mayor McSkunk

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:31:11 PM »

A pleasure craft operator card is required.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »

I have a ten foot Achilles with an 8 horse Tohatsu and it works fine in most place.  I am usually up around Langley, but had it out around Ladner last week.  Just watch out for those large freight ships and their wakes.  Yes, you do need a boater card with any power boat and if you have one you know what gear you need (Pfds, floating rope, light, noise maker, etc.).
Not all those who wander are lost

SteelHunter

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »

Ok so even small low powered  inflatable boats need all the same required stuff that a big boat would need?

Or do i only need the basics like pfd, ropes , airhorn , etc?

Im thinking about just staying only 100ft out and troll back and forth probaly in the north arm it alot calmer there .

tfishy

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »

If it has a motor you need a Pleasure Craft Operator Card and if you go to http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-equipment-1140.htm#minimum_safety_equipment_requirements  this page will tell you what minimum safety equipment you need.  It mostly depends on your boats length.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »

Have caught various salmon via trolling the main arm of the Fraser R.
Even anchored & hooked into salmon via bottom fishing.

If ya have an inflatable with say 4-10 HP sujj. ya only be on the main arm or N Arm on a high slack tide.
Tide changes & the river can get nasty.

Also I'd troll at high tide across from Steveston on the south side of the river. To escape ship or tug or pleasure craft wake just reel in your line & race over by Westham Island. There's a rock jetty that will take the wake waves.
As far as the North Arm goes some big tugs can make some huge wake waves.
Even had them go over our bow & over the windshield & thus our cloths got wet.
Most tugs will slow up if they see a small boat or inflatable but sometimes not.

Once across from Steveston Island on the south side of the river got into such huge tall waves literally our 16 ft boat fell over the backside of the wave like an elevator going down.
They were very steep & tall.
Like my guess 10/14 fters.
NW fast wind, tide change & lots of current or water flow. ( guess it rained alot in BC day(s) before) Scared the living h---. out of me. ( & my wife )
Whatever ya do be wearing a life jacket or PFD.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »

Ok so even small low powered  inflatable boats need all the same required stuff that a big boat would need?

Or do i only need the basics like pfd, ropes , airhorn , etc?

Im thinking about just staying only 100ft out and troll back and forth probaly in the north arm it alot calmer there .

No, it is not the same, but even a small inflatable with an electric rolling motor requires you to get your Pleasure Craft Operator Card, and to get the card you need to know what equipment you need to have.  The equipment is based on size of the boat, so a PFD, oars, a floating rope, a bailer, a whistle and a water tight flashlight, should be all you need in addition to your PCO card for a boat your size.  You can buy a kit from Steveston Marine that has all the basics in it (the kit itself acts as the bailer).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:25:13 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost