Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canned smoked salmon?  (Read 6091 times)

Animal Chin

Canned smoked salmon?
« on: August 26, 2013, 02:42:45 AM »

I'm being optimistic this year about the number of fish I'm going to catch  :D.

Anyone have any experience with canned smoked salmon? I plan on hot smoking in something like a little chief. Do you brine first? How should the smoking process be augmented (shortened) to not have an overly dry finished product?

Lastly, how long does canned smoked salmon last?

I also have a foodsaver, so could just freeze after smoking. Would that be nearly as good?

Thanks.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Canned smoked salmon?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:34:12 AM »

I'm being optimistic this year about the number of fish I'm going to catch  :D.

Anyone have any experience with canned smoked salmon? I plan on hot smoking in something like a little chief. Do you brine first? How should the smoking process be augmented (shortened) to not have an overly dry finished product?

Lastly, how long does canned smoked salmon last?

I also have a foodsaver, so could just freeze after smoking. Would that be nearly as good?

Thanks.

If you're planning to can smoked salmon be aware that canning exaggerates everything about smoked salmon. If the smoked salmon is heavily brined it will taste very salty once canned. If you smoke it for a long time with lots of smoke it will be very dry and smokey once canned. Therefore cut the brining, smoking, drying in half if you plan on canning. A great alternative is to add a couple drops of liquid smoke into your canned salmon and can a you normally would.

As far as vacuum sealing smoked salmon, it works very well. I've eaten smoked salmon after more than a year in the freezer and it tasted nearly like fresh smoked.

Good luck with catching!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »

If you're planning to can smoked salmon be aware that canning exaggerates everything about smoked salmon. If the smoked salmon is heavily brined it will taste very salty once canned. If you smoke it for a long time with lots of smoke it will be very dry and smokey once canned. Therefore cut the brining, smoking, drying in half if you plan on canning. A great alternative is to add a couple drops of liquid smoke into your canned salmon and can a you normally would.

As far as vacuum sealing smoked salmon, it works very well. I've eaten smoked salmon after more than a year in the freezer and it tasted nearly like fresh smoked.

Good luck with catching!

Just came across a pack of pink from 2011 and tried it - don't know that i'd say like FRESH smoked, but I dun ate it and liaked it juuuuuuuust fine!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »

I used to can lots of smoked salmon.  Its easy actually.  Just prepare the fish as you would for canning but throw it in the bradley or little chief for about 2 to 3 hours.  Try keeping the smoker a cool as possible (even cracking open the lid) so that the fish does not cook too much or at all.  Then you Can it like you normally do with a pinch of salt and a bit of vinegar.  No need to brine the fish at all as the salt during the canning process takes care of it.