Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder canal?  (Read 11134 times)

staffy

Vedder canal?
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »

Wondering is the Vedder canal open for fishing? Just want to spend a day for fishing with my son before his school start and any salmon over there yet?
Thanks for any information>

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder canal?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »

Yes the canal is open to fishing. And there should be salmon slowly but surely coming in. But remember if you don't like the crowds feel free to take a  short walk to get some solitude from the busy spots on the Vedder.

scottm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »

I was out Friday after work and in the hour and a half that I was there I saw only 10- 12 pinks go by in 2 different schools if you can call them that but it was good to see some fish going by. I would also say go for a walk and see if you can find a pool that they might be in as it will be a few more days at least before they come in strong numbers.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

staffy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »

Thanks Rodney, but I have no idea about this:

"from a line between two fishing boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m from the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream including that portion of the Sumas River from the Barrow Town Pump Station downstream to fishing boundary signs near the confluence with the Fraser River. "

May be just too old to for me to figure out the zoning or area issue.... ;D

notracy

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »

For the Boundary, just make sure your above the Highwy 1 overpass and your totally safe.
As for fish, I was out at 5:30 am this morning, fished from the canal upwards, until about 1:00. Only aw one fellow at the KWB get 1 hook up on Krill. All fishermen out that i encountered had nothing. no bites, didnt even see an fish rising. I myself saw one pink rise. While I was watching down on the bridge I saw 1 wee pink holding and he was pretty coloured.
At 5:30 this morning i counted 34 guys all up and down the canal portion, both side, both above and below the Keith wilson Bridge.
Our newsletter from GO Fish BC informed us that when the test catches they do get into TRIPLE digits the its time to go fishing for pinks on the fraser. But seeing as its closed, I dont know what pink portion on the fraser are destined for the Vedder.
I too want to get my boys out before school, and i will just try to do it before the long weekend gong show and hope for the best I guess :)
Hope this helps

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 10:49:18 PM »

^^ If you're fishing the Vedder Canal, make sure you ID your fish before killing it. there are also wild coho and jacks moving through right now, can easily be mistaken as a pink or spring.

bunnta

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »

coho this early in vedder.......holy bananas. i know you can get very early springs...by september but hoes this early is ....... well someone prove me wrong or maybe your just generalizing the whole river about other species that come into it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:55:02 PM by bunnta »

staffy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:56:16 PM »

Thanks for the information, I usually C & R, just for fun and relax.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 11:32:25 PM »

Coho salmon can be in the Chilliwack/Vedder River as early as late August. Head up to the hatchery in the third week of September and there's a good chance that you'll see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH8i780CI70

koifish

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »

whydo they close vedder even tho theres no fish in there

FishingKing

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »

whydo they close vedder even tho theres no fish in there

The vedder isn't closed.

koifish

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »

i mean when they do close i t

MoeJKU

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 02:29:43 PM »

From my understanding this is when a lot of the fish are going back down the river such as young steelhead and salmon. I have heard they want to let them go down the river and get out of the river without any angler pressure.
Someone else might have something to say on this as well. But i have heard this from a couple guys in the loop.

sumasriver

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »

Guess where i like to fish ?