Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser Salmon Closure.  (Read 2503 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Tidal Fraser Salmon Closure.
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »

If you chuck a pink spinner or spoon into the tidal Fraser you might catch a Pink but you probably won't catch a Sockeye.

In the Strait if you want to catch a Pink you troll something small and pink, the same method you might use for Sockeye.

And yet the river is closed for Pink and the Strait isn't.  Something wrong with the logic here IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:03:55 PM by VAGAbond »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Tidal Fraser Salmon Closure.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:14:59 PM »

Gotta be pretty desperate to be trolling in the gulf for a pink salmon, my guess would be most guys out trolling are targeting either chinnook or coho. The river is where you find most of the idiots who could care less about what species they catch, as long as they are catching. In DFO's picture right now, every sockeye counts so let the mass by without any anglers harrassing them and then see how she goes from there. You might miss a couple of good weeks bar fishing in the non-tidal and a couple good weeks pink fishing n the tidal but that would be about it IMO.

Keep calm, it's only fishing bud. 8)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »

Gotta be pretty desperate to be trolling in the gulf for a pink salmon, my guess would be most guys out trolling are targeting either chinnook or coho.

I sold my boat when the coho population collapsed in the Strait quite a few years ago so I can't report from recent experience but in the the prior years when the Pinks were in there was always a fleet of boats chasing them near the QA buoy off Point Grey.  I don't think that has changed because I was past the MacDonald Beach ramp the other day and there were a lot of boats out and not much else to fish nearby.

TNAngler

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:27:05 AM »

I sold my boat when the coho population collapsed in the Strait quite a few years ago so I can't report from recent experience but in the the prior years when the Pinks were in there was always a fleet of boats chasing them near the QA buoy off Point Grey.  I don't think that has changed because I was past the MacDonald Beach ramp the other day and there were a lot of boats out and not much else to fish nearby.

Sockeye and pinks often run together in the salt so they might be targeting the sockeye with them, if there are any.