Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3 Questions about hiring a local Guide  (Read 6845 times)

Dr. Backlash

3 Questions about hiring a local Guide
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »

Since the Fraser is closed, I'm hoping to hire a local guide to take the wife and I out on the saltwater for a day on a weekend (we live in Delta).  It will be my first time hiring a guide and I have a few questions:

1) How much do you tip a guide?  More specifically, if we have a stellar day out there and catch our limits or close to it, what would be a good amount to tip the guide? ($50, $100. $200 or more?)  I'm not a cheap guy so I just want to get an idea of what is appropriate in all scenarios.  What if we have decent day where we only catch a couple fish? (should I tip less in that situation)?  And what if we get skunked? (what do you guys tip your guide if you get skunked)?

2) Do most guides boats have toilets on their boats in case we have to go to the bathroom?

3) Any suggestions for a decent local saltwater guide? (for salmon and/or halibut)

Thanks for any/all replies in advance!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 3 Questions about hiring a local Guide
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

I'll let others to answer No. 1... ;D

No. 2, most saltwater guide boats have a toilet. Some boats have an actual toilet compartment inside the cabin. Some boats' toilet is in the actual cabin, so can be a bit awkward for girls. Best to ask the guide prior to booking.

No. 3, locally, either Bon Chovy Fishing Charters or Pacific Angler are good choices. Fishing for chinook salmon is excellent right now at the Fraser River mouth according to the reports they've been sending over. We were out a week ago, managed to hook into two but lost them both, in four hours.

Travelling a bit further, Ucluelet and Tofino are good options, for both salmon, halibut and groundfish. Big Bear Salmon Charters in Ucluelet is a good option. Their boats are fully equipped and good toilet facility on board.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »

Awesome Rod - thanks for the quick and detailed answer to most of my questions!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:39:04 PM »

If they have a nice toilet I would tip them more.....even if no fish were caught.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »

Save some money. Arrive at he boat launch nice and early with a case of beer, a smile and gas money in hand. Ask the guys launching there big gas guzzlers what your after and Im sure youll find some takers. A lot of guys know just as much as any other out there. But this probably wouldn't be the best idea if your bringing ur wife.
The Bigger The Better!

Plasticworks

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »

I was in tourism about 6years ago and we did groups out on various boats.  Usually we tipped $20/skipper if I recall.  It wasn't a ton and we as a company generally tried to follow the high side of generally accepted averages (at least for groups).  Individuals of course can vary a great deal.

I would think $30-50 would be very well received from a couple.  My 2cents.
It all revolves around the crab!

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:54:13 PM »

For both of you I'd say a $100 minimum tip would be adequate, whether the fishing is good or not, but I'm sure you'll see some action out there, especially if you go with a "proven outfit".

Rodney gave you two great leads, I suggest you take either one, you won't regret it. The last thing you want is to go out there with some half a$$ed outfit that has significant differences IE: smaller boat, lower quality gear, no private head and is constantly watching their wrist watches all day long, chomping at the bit to get the hell back to shore.

Spend a bit more money and get the full meal deal I say, and remember, the attitude of the guide{s} makes the day an enjoyable one or a more or less uncomfortable one in the big scheme of things, although most are jolly good guys/gals anyways

just my opinion
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:58:40 PM by Bently »

Plasticworks

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:19:55 AM »

I should mention the $30-50 was a guess for a 3-4 hour trip.  $100 sounds about right for a full day as a good tip.
It all revolves around the crab!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 12:45:50 AM »

Just to add a few items to my above post. If you decide to go with Big Bear Salmon Charters in Ucluelet, you may want to combine it with the two night stay at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort. I'm not sure how much it is, but it should be a bit cheaper when you combine the accommodation and fishing trip. Black Rock is pretty awesome for couples BTW... Big Bear has four grady whites and a larger Weldcraft, so lots of choices...

Another one I'll add is Jeff at Braedy Mack in Tofino, who I was fishing with back in May. He's another guide who really pays attention to how the clients feel (sea sickness, preference in target species, etc). He and Crystal Cove Resort also have an accommodation/fishing package thing going. I think it is 10% off for the trip when booking with the accommodation. With that said, most likely he is booked up already, especially on weekends, as he is the owner/operator of one boat. Crystal Cove is more of a rustic log cabin style accommodation compared to Black Rock, but it has a nicer beach for walking.

salmonlover

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 01:17:42 AM »

Might get a lot of flack for this, but you don't have to tip. You shouldn't feel like you are being cheap or disrespectful in any way. You are paying them to take you out to fish and that is their job. You are already paying good money, and anyone who owns a business is satisfied you chose them. I own a company and I don't expect a tip every time I complete a job I was paid to do. For some reason people feel they are entitled whether it be a pizza guy or waiter ect...they all get paid to do a job and for some reason they automatically think they are deserving of your hard earn money.  With that said it is a personal option and you can never go wrong with what your heart is telling you. Appreciation should never have a set amount.

joshhowat

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »

Might get a lot of flack for this, but you don't have to tip. You shouldn't feel like you are being cheap or disrespectful in any way. You are paying them to take you out to fish and that is their job. You are already paying good money, and anyone who owns a business is satisfied you chose them. I own a company and I don't expect a tip every time I complete a job I was paid to do. For some reason people feel they are entitled whether it be a pizza guy or waiter ect...they all get paid to do a job and for some reason they automatically think they are deserving of your hard earn money.  With that said it is a personal option and you can never go wrong with what your heart is telling you. Appreciation should never have a set amount.

Are you Dutch?

The guide is paid hourly, so he makes peanuts. If he does a good job he deserves to be rewarded. And doing a good job is not catching lots of fish. As sometimes even the best get the big zero.

How was the service? Did he work hard ect ect.

Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 07:09:17 AM »

Salmon lover's reply reminds me of the tipping argument in the movie Resevoir Dogs, lollol.

Fishawn

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »

Salmon lover's reply reminds me of the tipping argument in the movie Resevoir Dogs, lollol.
Haha, x2

mko72

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »

I second this. A tip is given for work done ABOVE and BEYOND the call of duty.  I worked in the food service industry for years and if I just cruised around casually doing my job, well, I didn't deserve a tip.  But if I worked really hard, and provided service that made your evening just that much more special, well then yeah, tip away. 

Arguing the person "works for peanuts" is irrelevant.  That industry pays what it pays and that's determined by the market, a market which is full of people who want to spend their days on a boat, in nice weather so there are a lot of people trying to get in and therefore is not a very high paying job; if he doesn't like the hourly rate he should get out. 

Tipping automatically only encourages sloppy work and hurts the service as a whole, if the service sucks, don't tip.

trot

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »

Are you Dutch?

The guide is paid hourly, so he makes peanuts. If he does a good job he deserves to be rewarded. And doing a good job is not catching lots of fish. As sometimes even the best get the big zero.

How was the service? Did he work hard ect ect.

I usually tip 200 for a full day however I understand that some people cannot afford to give a tip or just don't think it is needed. I guided for several years and certainly did not make "peanuts" as an hourly wage-Tips are great but I got along just fine on my base wage.