Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'alleged" illegal fishing techniques by commercial fisherman caught on film  (Read 17921 times)

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website

Footage released by conservation group appears to show non-target salmon from sensitive stocks being left to die then callously discarded

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/20130815handoutfishermensalmon720p3000kbpsmp4/article13796100/

MoeJKU

They are FN they can do what they want.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Really sad. Those guys don't give poop about the fish living or dieing. DFO once again showing how useless they are.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

trot

Might as well all start going vigilante since DFO will never grow a pair.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

They are FN they can do what they want.

Why do you say they're FN?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

TacoChris

We need to put most of the blame where it belongs with the Federal government. Cut backs and political interference have made the DFO's job impossible.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

"The Prime Minister, the Fisheries Minister, and the Pattison Group, which controls most of the seine fleet, need to bring these salmon fisheries into the 21st century.”

From Chris's link which more fairly distributes the responcibilty of who's involved. Not to mention the useless guy's running the boats who should be heavily fined and have their boat confiscated.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Might as well all start going vigilante since DFO will never grow a pair.

And what do you do when someone stabs you? Or you hurt someone. The courts don't like vigilantes ~ and you'll pay out pocket a ton of cash for a lawyer in a case you WILL lose.

Think about what happens 60 seconds ahead of your actions and you will appear a lot more intelligent.

TNAngler

Why can we not put a webcam on every deck of every commercial fishing boat?  Something only the DFO is able to watch.  Even if they are not monitored closely, the fact that there is a camera right there, recording what you do, will straighten out a ton of misdoings.

Caught without a camera or tampering with the camera and you lose your commercial license and pay a huge fine.  Camera can even have a GPS on it so they know where you are fishing and if you are legally able to do so.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

There already are cameras on most of the long line commercial boats, and actual human observers on ALL the Trawlers. I dealt with the human ones since they started Archipelago and  most of them were hippy kids who wouldn't do any dishes evenbut ate the boat out of grub or either puked cause they couldn't get over their sea sickness, friggin panty wastes anyways. Their numbers were so far outta wack it was insane, what they thought was say 20,000 lbs of fish was more like 5,000 lbs, that sort of thing happened all the time and the fishermen were paying LARGE cash to have them on board too. Then you go to unload at the dock and you have to pay another "Port Monitor" $75 an hour to redo all the mistakes that the on-board observer made. And even though you still need the guy in town to tally the proper weights, it adds up to an exuberant amount of money every trip to pack around some ex logger protester/ dread lock queen with an attitude that thinks he knows everything about anything when it comes to fish, but can't tell the difference between a dover sole and a friggin turbot, brutal I tell ya, just brutal. The camera does a good job as they also have to have mandatory boards mounted on the side of the boat with color codes and such, and they can tell if the fish coming aboard is legal or not {in length, species, yaddda yaddda etc etc . Much more cost effective as well.

edit to add,

I should also mention that there was some good observers as well that helped out a lot with the goings on while aboard and as the program progressed it got better {just like most things do}.

And contrary to what many on here believe, the commercial fishermen don't all want to go out and slaughter the entire stock of the specific species their after, if they did they would be out of a job in no time, most just want a decent price for the bit of fish their allowed so they can keep their livelihood and support their families.

Now that "brailing" is mandatory on all seiners and it does slow down production and when you only have a 12 hour opening then every minute out there counts and you get sloppy with discarding fish as seen on the telly but in the end the mandatory brailing is much better for the fish as before we used to be able to stern ramp the works and powerful boats could ramp as many as 6 or 7 thousand pieces at a time which was not too good for species like coho, chinnook <{most of the time}and steelhead that were non retain-able to the commercial fisherman.

I'm retired now and i don't like seeing any of these fish go to waste and i never did while i was working either as i think there is a market for all the fish we caught, but only in a perfect world would you be able to catch exactly what is allowed, there will ALWAYS be some by-catch, it's inevitable, but supply and demand allows it and will continue to allow it as long as the world wants to eat fish that you buy out of the grocery store, whether it be here in Canada or anywhere in the entire world. It's just the way it is, and for the average sportu that has never stepped foiot aboard a commercial vessel and seen it in action it will be hard for them to understand the goings on and why it is the way it is.......and i totally understand that as well so I tend to lose my bias attitude nowadays and just rant the ODD time, LOLLOL, ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:54:25 PM by Bently »

TNAngler

I would assume cameras could be followed by just a couple people in a central location instead of paying some hippy kid to be on each boat.  Commercial fisherman have a hard enough time making a living these days.  It wouldn't be a real time deterent but you get a couple people watching the videos in fast forward to see if there is anything odd going on.  If there is, it gets escalated to someone that is able to look at it in more depth.  Dead salmon being tossed overboard is a fine.  If it is a species that is hurting and can be positively identified from the camera, like a sockeye, the fine is higher.  Have the cameras to where they turn on as soon as the electricity turns on and as long as electricity is on it records.

Would be a fairly cheap and effective method to monitor the fleet.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

I added to my last post just so know  ;)

Having cam,eras on seine boats would not be that hard, you'd have to have one that shows the enitre deck ahead of the drum, one behind the drum and one in the location that ALL the fish have to pass through {one at a time}. The only thing with this is that the DFO would have to lengthen the commercial openings as this would take a very long time and what used to be a day of fishing would turn into mere hours so to speak.

TNAngler

I added to my last post just so know  ;)

Having cam,eras on seine boats would not be that hard, you'd have to have one that shows the enitre deck ahead of the drum, one behind the drum and one in the location that ALL the fish have to pass through {one at a time}. The only thing with this is that the DFO would have to lengthen the commercial openings as this would take a very long time and what used to be a day of fishing would turn into mere hours so to speak.

I wonder if the last one, the one where all fish have to pass through one at a time couldn't be eased by stating all fish released must be released on the (port) side, and have a camera there.  If there are too many fish going in that don't seem to be making it, that is when you take a closer look.  That way it doesn't cause a huge increase in time.

Alternatively, you could allow sets of a certain length of time instead of hours open.  The net can only be open (catching) for x amount of time.  A boat is allowed 2 or 3 sets on a specific day but they can be done anytime on that day.  Then they could make it more responsive to conditions.  If # retained or weight retained or so many cubic yards are retained (however is easier) is greater than X after your second set, you don't get a third.  Cubic yards would be easy to follow and monitored with a sensor in the fish hold at a certain height.

During your time as a commercial fisherman, I'm sure you have experienced openings when the goal was a certain number of fish and everyone killed them and the take was so much higher than expected.  Had that down in WA on chum one year.  Only a certain retention was calculated for gillnetters (which my dad did with my help).  The Natives went first and by the time they were done, they had caught their allotment, our allotment, and both our allotments for the next year too.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

^^ Tide, where the fish are, the number of fish in the opened area, these are all concerns that would make a time allowed set to be non productive to your idea. The places seine boats set a lot of the time are determined by what the tide is doing, how many boats are fishing the area, etc etc, it would be a huge fiasco to try and do all that.

Seiners have what they call revival tanks on board, where all non retainable fish are suppose to be put if they look like they need it. It's basically a tote with water in it that has a hose attached so there can be water always coming in and out {for the proper oxygen}, but when you have so many fish that your not allowed to keep it becomes redundant as they can't all fit, so the besat thing to do is get them back in their natural habitat {by cradling them like you would for a proper fish photo, not like you saw on TV where they just start hucking them back by the tail. This is bound to happen though, and as I said above in my edited post, unless you are there doing it it is hard for the sports fisherman to understand, which is completely acceptable as they've never done it before and would seem shocked to encounter the daily process of being a commercial fisherman.

As i try to describe all this i find it's really a no win situation in what I'm doing, some will say but what about this and that, why didn't you do this instead of that and so on and so on. I'm just trying to help some on here understand what is happening more than they already do, nothing more