Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first look at Furry Creek.  (Read 13924 times)

TheFishingLad

My first look at Furry Creek.
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »

So there I was, driving home from Squamish to Ridge and thought I would stop off at Fury Creek and see what it was all about. Turns out its a beautiful place to be. Seeing how I was just sightseeing and didn't bring my rods down I decided to get up and go.

On my Trek back to the car I noticed a blackberry bush with some big ready-to-pick blackberries. Being someone who loves these things free I began picking and eating from the closest branch, which soon ran out. As I scope the rest of the bush out I see lotssss of nice ones on the other side of the tree (did I mention this bush was beside a tree?). Starting to shimmy and maneuver myself over prickles, logs and brush I maintain eye contact with my next victims, mouth watering with soccer shorts and a Tee, unaware of the mistake I made.

Without realizing it I, the hunter, became the hunted. With all my infinite wisdom and foresight I did not foresee any reason why all other branches appeared to been picked at whilst this one, perfect, branch, looked like something you'd see in a Martha Stewart magazine.

Turns out the only accessible spot for a human to pick these berries lies a wasp nest right where ones feet would go. Now, I would be the host for that ones feet to be. That's right, I stepped right on a bunch of wasps that are pricks the best of times. At the same time I reach up and grab the first delicious blackberry and put it in my mouth all hell breaks lose on my legs. With my left hand now free and my right clenched with my Cellphone in hand I freak out and start swatting everything that stings with my phone only to drop it in the bushes I carefully arranged myself around and start running for freedom, not realizing the second mistake I made.

These bloody wasps chased me for a good 100 meters where I had a chance to reflect on the events that just took place. Having noticed I dropped my phone in the crap storm that is the bush I quickly hatched a plan. I went back to my car and took 2 reactin, then searched for every piece of clothing I had. I wound up wearing 1 pair of PJs, a pair of sweat pants, long sleeve shirt and jacket accompanied by a large towel for my head/neck area and started to descend upon the bush.

What happened next was rather anti-climatic. I searched, sweating my bag off, for 15 minutes, avoiding these now docile nest of wasps to find my phone next to the tree, 4ft away from the nest under the branch of hate and deliciousness.

Moral of the story is don't get greedy, or don't be a Numpty like me.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:05:33 PM by TheFishingLad »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: My first look at Furry Creek.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »

I wound up wearing 1 pair of PJs, a pair of sweat pants, long sleeve shirt and jacket accompanied by a large towel for my head/neck area and started to descend upon the bush.

Nice visual. Do you always bring a pair of PJ's when you go fishing ? ;D

brandooner

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »

hahahaha i enjoyed reading that! ;D
The Fishin' Musician!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »

Sorry dude but that was freaking hilarious ! At least you got your phone back  ;D

TheFishingLad

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:30:02 PM »

Nice visual. Do you always bring a pair of PJ's when you go fishing ? ;D
Just happened to be in my over night bag in my trunk. Have rigging gear, clothes, rain gear, tool set and MREs in it ;) lol.

But aye, so many stings! Glad I wasn't allergic  >:(

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »

Great read lol ! Now there'll be 30 people tomorrow morning trying to find them berries

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »

NATURE!

;D

chronicfisher

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:01 PM »

Ooh man that was a good read thank you for the  post.glad you found your phone.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:27:37 AM »

Funny story and there are a lot of wasps this year.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »

Now THIS is a report!!!  LMAO!!!!!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »

FWR member report of the year !!! Glad that you are safe and have your phone back.

Scooterguy

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »

Thanks for a good story. I have to warn my kids about it when we fish in Furry Creek. She is 8 yrs old and likes to pick blackberry when she is not fishing. 8)
No doubt, it has a beautiful scene.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »

Thanks for a good story. I have to warn my kids about it when we fish in Furry Creek. She is 8 yrs old and likes to pick blackberry when she is not fishing. 8)
No doubt, it has a beautiful scene.

You're now fishing outside of Richmond?? ;)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Ouch
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »

that was a great read, thanks~ have seldom had more than the odd sting picking berries or what not . so far so good.
It is a Great, although early blackberry season this year, and if you know where to go you can get this in an hour, maybe two:

and watch for pinks lol, non yet that Ive seen

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »

great read and glad it worked out in the end. Pickles like that are timeless and no doubt will be great campfire or for the youngster alike story.

again thanks

sandy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:42:21 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!