Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trebles allowed in ocean?  (Read 5887 times)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Trebles allowed in ocean?
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »

Just want to confirm that you can use barbless treble hooks in most tidal waters. Some guy today was adamant that you can't. He even phoned a friend and asked him/her to call DFO and find out. Apparently DFO said single hooks only for salmon.

However, on their website is clearly says:

Gear
•Only barbless hooks allowed for all salmon fishing.
•Single and treble barbless hooks acceptable except in the tidal portion of the Fraser where gear is restricted to a single barbless hook.

Thanks!

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/salmon-saumon-eng.html
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Trebles allowed in ocean?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »

That's correct, treble barbless hooks are allowed for salmon in the ocean unless otherwise stated in the regulations specific for an area.

For example, area 28.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

Aug 1 - Dec 31:

It is illegal to.... use more than one single-pointed hook in the tidal waters of the Seymour River from the BCR Railway bridge downstream to the fishing boundary signs located on the west and east shore of the river.
It is illegal to.... use more than two single-pointed hooks in tandem in Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River to Prospect Light on the seawall of Stanley Park to the North tower of the Lions Gate Bridge.

zabber

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »

Thanks Rod.

Just to be clear: trebles are allowed in most of Area 28, other than those two areas you listed (and, of course, RCAs and other areas closed to angling for fin fish), correct?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »

Those two points are just examples I found, so you may want to read through the entire page to see if there are others. I just skimmed through the page really quickly so not completely sure.

1stlite

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »

I think you can use barbless treble hooks in "area 28" till August 1st. Then it's a single barbless. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »

Just to be sure, I would contact one of the field officers near where you plan to fish and ask them for the exact information.

Personally I just use a single barbless at all time. Since either single or treble has to be barbless, a single would fair better as the each hook on a treble has a much smaller gap, easier to lose the fish in my opinion.

bunnta

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:50:06 AM »

was told by the fishing store and my friend that cap and west van area are single barbless in tidal. so if most ppl are trolling with single barbless, im assuming its the same on the shoreline

zabber

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  :)

MoeJKU

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »

I agree with Rod on this one. I always use single barbless hooks. The gap is smaller on the trebles. I have also found that they pop out with head shakes sometimes  and if your fishing from shore if seen coho dive hit the hook on the rocks and it pops out. Singles are easier for them to swallow and you can get a better hookset.
Only time i used them and prefered them is bass fishing in Arkansas, Missouri and other southern states.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »

was told by the fishing store and my friend that cap and west van area are single barbless in tidal. so if most ppl are trolling with single barbless, im assuming its the same on the shoreline
I have always said on this forum to never trust what other other people say and always go to a primary source for your information. People, including members of this forum, can be well-intentioned, but wrong.

In reading the regs I can see no single barbless hook only requirement in area 28, particularly in area 28-9 along the the West Van waterfront   

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »

I have always said on this forum to never trust what other other people say and always go to a primary source for your information. People, including members of this forum, can be well-intentioned, but wrong.

In reading the regs I can see no single barbless hook only requirement in area 28, particularly in area 28-9 along the the West Van waterfront   

You missed this:

Aug 1 - Dec 31:

It is illegal to.... use more than one single-pointed hook in the tidal waters of the Seymour River from the BCR Railway bridge downstream to the fishing boundary signs located on the west and east shore of the river.
    It is illegal to.... use more than two single-pointed hooks in tandem in Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River to Prospect Light on the seawall of Stanley Park to the North tower of the Lions Gate Bridge.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »

You missed this:

Aug 1 - Dec 31:

No, I didn't. In the synopsis that regulation alternatively reads "Two single barbless hooks in tandem, each no greater than 15 mm from point to shank may be used in Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14 St. Pier to Prospect Light to the north tower of Lions Gate
Bridge"
1) That regulation does not preclude barbless treble hooks. If it did, the regulation would need to include the words "only", or other words to that effect. You can still use one single barbless hook, or a barbless treble hook, you just can't use more than 2 single barbless in tandem.
2) Only applies to a small piece of water in front of the Cap, not the entrie W.Van area.       

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »

Anyone in this day and age who uses a treble hook and is not shipwrecked and starving, has no right to sport fish.  JMHO

zabber

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »

Anyone in this day and age who uses a treble hook and is not shipwrecked and starving, has no right to sport fish.  JMHO

Hmmm... the prior discussion makes it sound like trebles make landing a fish more difficult. You seem to disagree. Interesting.

Zackattack

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 12:06:14 AM »

ask the guys fishing at Furry. theyèll tell you that trebles are allowed, theyll also tell you barbs are to.....
I wish the guys at the tackle stores would maybe at least mention or remind some basics like no barbs etc. when setting up complete novices to fish (especially when the tackle of choice comes with a treble inside.. ie buzzers)