Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gillnets on the squamish  (Read 2366 times)

Lyall

Gillnets on the squamish
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »

Went up to the Squamish the other day and some guys came in below me and set up a gillnet...can anybody please explain to me exactly what the rules are re gillnets and food fishing on the Squamish?

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: Gillnets on the squamish
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »

Squamish First Nation have the right to fish for food, social and ceremonial needs. Usually they have a 3 day opening Wednesday noon to Saturday noon. At this time of the year it is a very limited fishery for chinook with only a few members netting. The river height and amount of debris make it a fair bit of work to keep the nets fishing properly.Most of the local FN are very concerned about the status of the chinook so they don't fish them very hard. I know it's a cliche but it is generally for the old timmers who want fresh fish.

They also target chum and coho in the fall but are more interested in the chum for smokeing. Pinks are a bycatch as they are not intentionally targeted as the FN generally are not interested in them.

Hope this helps.

Lyall

Re: Gillnets on the squamish
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »

Thanks bkk, that helps a lot. I had a brief chat with them, really nice guys. I was just curious as to the rules, general etiquette, and process as I hadn't seen anybody with a gillnet on the squamish before. Not looking to start a hot topic or anything just curious and wanting to learn more. Looks like it would definitely be a lot of work with the river flowing like it is.