Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, June 30th 2013  (Read 5831 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Capilano River, June 30th 2013
« on: July 01, 2013, 01:44:13 AM »

Fishing was good this evening. Hiked deep into a spot that I have never been to with a friend of mine, took us about 40 minutes in some tough ground, but worth it! Fishing was solid with not a sole in sight, and boy those Mr. Twisters snapped through a run like the guys on Sports Fishing BC did really works! Im completely sold! Went to Cable on the way back to the car... snag fest. Every cast, snag. It was the guy that killed the steelhead and posted it on Sharp Hooks, snag snag snag, when will these people learn.

swimmingwiththefishes

Re: Capilano River, June 30th 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:28:41 AM »

Too bad about the snaggers.what type of twister were you using?

kid fisherman

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:38:30 AM »

Well done! I have seen that video also and have wanted to give it a go and now I think I will. Thanks for the report.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »

Fishing was good this evening. Hiked deep into a spot that I have never been to with a friend of mine, took us about 40 minutes in some tough ground, but worth it! Fishing was solid with not a sole in sight, and boy those Mr. Twisters snapped through a run like the guys on Sports Fishing BC did really works! Im completely sold! Went to Cable on the way back to the car... snag fest. Every cast, snag. It was the guy that killed the steelhead and posted it on Sharp Hooks, snag snag snag, when will these people learn.

Good to hear you had success on the jigs.  Assuming you were fishing slower, deeper water?

There are so many twisty tails on the market, even scented, but the good old Mr. Twisters have always seemed to have the best colours and action.

Re the sketchy sharphooks snagger: I remember he got called out for killing a steelhead in the EXACT same spot him and friends are poaching now.  He (they) will get caught if they keep it up.  They seem to be there on a nightly basis lately.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:17:38 PM »

It was a jig I tied with a little twister just put on the end for a little more action, it was the yellow and yes It was a little slower pool but I will put up some pics soon. Just on a spinning rod snapped through the run. Fished a fly first and had one follower, then roe with two brief hook ups. I was packing up to hike out but my jig box fell out so I thought "why not". 3rd cast fish on, such a cool take. About the snaggers, keeps messaging me saying how hes not snagging even if he is using a 6 foot 15 pound leader with a 2/0...

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:46:46 AM »

Where is DFO if people are reporting the snaggers to them? If they release foul hooked fish, does DFO have the ground to ticket them for violation? I have seen multiple fish thrown back at the high rocks and the fish took the huge impact shock and just bellied up at the top of the water. Pathetic. They are doing this at the tail out section of Cable Pool, and all new fish staying at the back can stand to be snagged this way. Talking to some of the regular fly and roe guys, they said the fish are reluctant to bite this year. The way the snaggers are at it every day there, they spoil fishing for all others besides hurting the fish. They should be stopped. I have also heard of some natives snagging fish with treble hooks right at Cable too. I have not seen that myself. But unless DFO does something, this will continue to ruin legitimate fishing there as well as hurting the fish.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:56:35 AM by liketofish »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »

I haven't seen or heard of any people snagging with treble hooks there this year, and I'm there 4x a week...

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »

The last story I heard is that they did this real early like 4-5 AM before too many eyes are on them.  ;)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »

I snorkel the cap maybe 3-6 times a summer for the first time last year, I started finding capilano specials (oversized trebles with pencil lead wrapped around them) .  I guarantee it was happening last year, worst trip I recovered 13 of em.

I wish dfo would show up and chase these clowns off or at least put enough pressure on that the stop snagging.

Dont know if me calling dfo prompted a visit but the main goof ball in the band of snaggers switched to a spinner after I said that so maybe a few fish were spared?

Tee

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »

I snorkel the cap maybe 3-6 times a summer for the first time last year, I started finding capilano specials (oversized trebles with pencil lead wrapped around them) .  I guarantee it was happening last year, worst trip I recovered 13 of em)

I am wondering if this terminal tackle is allowed if used by the native people.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:45 PM »

I snorkel the cap maybe 3-6 times a summer for the first time last year, I started finding capilano specials (oversized trebles with pencil lead wrapped around them) .  I guarantee it was happening last year, worst trip I recovered 13 of em.

I must have ran into you last year...not to many people snorkeling the canyon pools.   I have the snorkel set this year but still missing the wetsuit.

I found about 1/2 dozen of those huge trebles with lead.  They almost look like grappling hooks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 12:10:42 AM »

Beside phoning DFO and hoping a couple of officers to show up, you should also consider attending the Lower Mainland Sport Fishing Advisory Committee meetings (two meetings per year, one in the spring, one in the fall) where you can converse directly with a DFO officer (usually the supervisor). You can then start developing a plan together to tackle the issue (eg. education, a sting operation, etc).

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 06:32:47 AM »

Stings and increased presence sounds great but when it comes down to it, DFO has a huge task and they cant afford to babysit the cable pool. 

So until the day when everyone respects the resource, rules, fish, etc I'll try to educate where I can.  If that doesnt work, like I said, Im not shy I'll verbally harass a snagger/poach until he gets the point.  If more people acted like that, then the snaggers would get run off very quickly or they'd be forced to change.

Someone else asked if natives can snag...I don't think the have free reign over the entire river.  DFO came to my house last year to collect the trebs and he indicated they had an idea of who was doing it.  I also know that on the fraser, natives are required to fish within DFO sactioned openings so I assume something like that is in place on the cap.  I think we have a couple FN fishers here, maybe they'll confirm one way or another?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »

I thought FN were only allowed to harvest fish by any means on their own reservation lands, but I could be wrong. They do have a constitutional right to harvest fish for food, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was allowed anywhere.

Pin-nook

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »

Only DFO can stop Natives snagging above PR bridge as I found out a few years ago when a young native kid was slaughtering chinooks and coho at the Keith Rd run. People told him to stop but he wasn't listening and was actually being hostile and when I phone DFO as I was leaving he had about 15 fish dead on the beach and was still at it hard. I came back hours later and talked to a couple guys leaving that were there earlier and apparently  the kid had well over 20 fish and had family members come down to help him haul the fish out. I never did see any officers come an investigate!