Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adding star hard-bite cleats to your vibram boots  (Read 1956 times)

scheng53

adding star hard-bite cleats to your vibram boots
« on: June 11, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

just bought a pack of 16.  After secure them underneath the boots, I walked for about an hour in the bushes and rocks.  Came home, check the screws, half of them are in the insecure to loose condition.  Is this normal?  or I have to just re-secure them everytime when i wear them.

Thanx

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: adding star hard-bite cleats to your vibram boots
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »

did you add them in new boots or worn ones ?

your supposed to add these when your boots are new so they fit properly. I haven't heard of people having to re-tighten them after each outing, after the first time maybe but if I had to tighten them constantly I would get choked and annoyed
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »

Yes, I have had that problem before. Hook is right, it is usually more common with worn boots, but I have seen it with brand new ones too. I install my star cleat secure screws with a dab of super glue. Then I tighten them down. However, over time they will occasionally get loose, so you will have to retighten them.

I hike alot and have seen the hole in the star cleat wear out to the point that it falls off. The securing screw is still left in the rubber sole, but the star cleat has actually fallen off. I know the first year with my Simms Guide vibram boots I actually went through two sets of studs/cleats (first set was studs, then added star cleats in combination). I find the studs wear out to the point where I have to use vice grips to remove them. So it can get pretty expensive if you fish alot  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:11:48 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

Pin-nook

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 07:31:31 AM »

I haven't had any issues so far and I have had my Guide Boots with vibram sole for 3 years now. Like CM I use both studs and cleats placed strategically depending on how I plant and grip when wading. I don't necessary use all the studs and cleats in the packages because you don't really need to.

One thing I am finding though is that the Vibram sole is close to being completely flat and I wonder is anyone has had their boot re-soled yet. I still have my G3 boots in great condition but have had difficulty keeping felt on it since I first had it re-felted and wonder if it would be best to get Vibram put on instead.

I have heard though that it's best to put hardware in when the Vibram is brand new.

scheng53

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:19:15 PM »

the boots' fairly new. i would say they were worn less than 5 times.  Just tight them up tonight, and see how they do again on the next outing!
Thank you