Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing this morning  (Read 5662 times)

Chuck

fishing this morning
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »

Took a sick day off work and headed to sturgeon slough this morning.  caught a couple of small large mouths on a rapalla lure, then switched to a green worm jig. had a lot of interest and lost something bigger than the other two 5 inchers. then my ugly stick came apart mid cast, snapped the line and sent 4 of its 5 pieces into the slough, leaving me holding the handle.  I guess I should have gone to work  >:(

Shawn6o4

Re: fishing this morning
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

karma's a bitch sometimes.... ;D

Chuck

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »

Any light to medium action compact rod recommendations to replace the ugly stick would be greatly appreciated! It's fathers day soon  :D

Shawn6o4

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:55:04 AM »

im happy with my Fenwick HMX picked one up last season for around 70 bones.

Chuck

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:10:19 AM »

Cheers, I was looking at that one actually.  The Ugly Stik was ok, but two of the pieces got stuck together on day one and it took me the best part of half an hour to get it apart, then it would frequently come apart during casting.  I did like the fact it broke down into 5 pieces though so I could tie it on my backpack and go anywhere with it.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:55:57 AM »

what fish are you targeting mostly?

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »

Well, mainly I have just been going to the stocked lakes for rainbows, but i've started venturing out in the hope of catching some larger bass, and will also be trying my luck on the rivers this year too.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »

Well, hint for the hmx for fathers day. But for now go to walfart and buy a telescopic rod for 15.99 or whatever it is. Works great for the local lakes since it fits in my backpack or a bag or whatever. Also if you need a cheap reel go to army&navy in new west I got a small amundsen reel for 11 $ 5 bearings.

Chuck

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »

Hint dropped! Is yours the 5'6"? They have that at army and navy for $70

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »

Berry's having its annual Fathers Day Week Sale starting on Monday btw.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/2013-05-24-berrys-bait-and-tackle-fathers-day-week-sale.html

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »

I love the Cabelas Salt Striker Travel Rod.  3 piece, strong yet fairly senstive.  I have two different models.  Caught a 14lb Permit on the 7' medium verson a few weeks ago.  And a mess of Cuda's on it.  In addition I use to chuck spoons for Ho's and Pinks. 

When not travelling south with it, I keep in the trunk of my (very small) car at all times, comes in handy.

I would suggest shopping locally first to see if you can support the little guys and find a suitable solution.

skeeter44

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »

Just a heads up ! Cars are getting broken into down there and they are punching out the door locks.
Evil Prevails When Good Men Stand By And Do Nothing

buzzbomb

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

I was under the imprerssion Ugly Stiks were guaranteed against everything but stupidity and the car door for life...  is that not the case?  Maybe you deserve a free rod.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:36:00 PM by buzzbomb »
5% Alc./Vol.

Chuck

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »

Thanks all for the advice. 

I love the Cabelas Salt Striker Travel Rod.  3 piece, strong yet fairly senstive.  I have two different models.  Caught a 14lb Permit on the 7' medium verson a few weeks ago.  And a mess of Cuda's on it.  In addition I use to chuck spoons for Ho's and Pinks. 

When not travelling south with it, I keep in the trunk of my (very small) car at all times, comes in handy.

I would suggest shopping locally,  first to see if you can support the little guys and find a suitable solution.

I'll definately shop locally, I too often get sucked into Army and Navy because of the convenience. I've already spied a couple on the site Rodney mentioned that I fancy, although the more I look, the more expensive my choice gets!

Just a heads up ! Cars are getting broken into down there and they are punching out the door locks.
I didn't feel overly confident leaving my car parked where I did, and I was surprised to see it was still there, let alone in one piece, especially after the morning I had!

I was under the imprerssion Ugly Stiks were guaranteed against everything but stupidity and the car door for life...  is that not the case?  Maybe you deserve a free rod.
I forgot about that!  I will contact them.  Although I couldn't say where the receipt is.  The only proof of purchase I have is the handle and the case  :)

BCLAX

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 05:44:36 PM »

Fished the slough this afternoon and didn't have the luck you had  ;)