Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY! May 30th  (Read 5898 times)

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY! May 30th
« on: May 30, 2004, 11:03:42 PM »

Man, after last nite's dream i had to go fishing today at ambleside... everything started well. caught a mid size greenling and 2 english soles... then some dude on a sail boat.... came in close caught my line... and broke my rod then dragged into the water.... i lost everything. *dont worry about the rod* >< i was down, but not out... got my convergence from my car and fired out there... before the sun set... BOOM! the biggest greenling ive ever seen. maybe aleast 2-3 lbs. it was so heavy... it fought its way off the hook once i got it right beside the pier. i was really mad then... then i retied my rig and fired out there.... within 30 sec of casting! KABOOOMMM!!!!!!...... WAM fish on. when i saw the line dangling in the water, i didnt know what it was. then i saw its head/fins at first i thought it was a greenling... then i noticed the short body... AH HA! a quilback rockcod!!!...

2day was everything combine... 1 heck of a fishing trip. im not mad about the money but the thing that really got me... was he pretended to not hear me then trolled my rod out there and tried to do circle back to the sailing place being undetected... sneeking bastard *pardon my language*
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 11:50:24 PM by Rodney »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re:The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 11:17:41 PM »

Wow - exciting day! :)  What is it with some boaters, and others, that don't understand that fishermen need a bit of SPACE!  if not for the simple fact that the fish need some "privacy", to keep line from getting snagged, and in your extreme case, the rod from being ripped out of your hands :(

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
Re:The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 11:34:46 PM »

it was in the rod holders on the pier... as soon as i reacted... snap! and my rod fell in the water.  meh, my mom is getting me another one from japan this summer when she goes back.  but this guy came in way to close!

but that rod was my #1 greenling set up, then i lost my big greenling so sad :(.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY! May 30th
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 12:03:56 AM »

Bet those so-called sailers will beat a hasty retreat when they see a 3 oz buzz bomb fired across their bow ! >:(

otto

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 12:27:32 AM »

one of the beach anglers last year on the Cap mouth got his rod busted up by a boater in too close. the guy beside him cast a 2 OZ round weight and nailed the boat, right on the dash. i think he shattered the fishfinder on the dash. bit of a heated exchange, with the end result being the watercops showing up, and fining the boater for liquor violations, unsafe boating and some other stuff. the angler got a warning but also got his rod replaced!!! happy endings

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 12:29:27 AM »

well the guy said he would sent me a M.O after some jig head bitching... if he doesnt. then ill make BBQ out of his boat...

otto

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 12:53:45 AM »

???   M.O.      ???

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 01:24:05 PM »

Nice work fishing.  What was the bait of choice.  Greenling can get pretty big, I caught one around 7 pounds or so.  How big was the rockfish?
I like ROE

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 05:24:09 PM »

sounds like you had an interesting day. Jighead, was there lots of people there?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 05:27:55 PM »

Hey Jighead.....
A 12 foot rod right?  I'm the jackass who was trying to catch perch out there but came away with only one little sole...

good luck with that guy replacing it....if he doesnt, its true that buzz bombs make excellent deterrents, though I prefer the 4" variety for maximum battle damage.  They should know better than to get between a man and his rod.

marmot

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 05:53:32 PM »

oh hey :D... haha i got his boat number anyways. if he doesnt sent me money in a week something mite happen :)

too bad you left early, missed all my action ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 08:30:43 PM by JigHead »

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 09:37:57 PM »

the big mutha *BEEP* greening took a old cruddy peice of prawn. and the quillback took a sea worm... both time ive heard and experiance about rockcod being caught from ambleside pier are with worms.

but funny thing is, in chinese we call this shrimp/prawn  rockfish... because they are usualy caught on shrimp/prawns/fish and the greenlings are known to eat sea worms from the kelp bed they hide in but this time it swtiched :) it was all luck :D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 12:19:31 PM »

hey, sorry to have missed the action.....wish i could have stayed longer.  How long can you keep sea worms for?  Just wondering....do you guys get them at low and then just stay till the fishing picks up or can you keep them at home until the next time if you keep them with seaweed and some salty water for a couple days...??  I know of some INSANE bait for greenling too, but i dont think you can find it around here, at least not where i looked.

marmot

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »

yes, i can keep my sea worms alive for over a month. you dont need sand, just sea weed. make sure the worms gets a good rinse with fresh salt water every week then. let them be in the salt water for above 5 minutes, and put them back in the damped sea weed.  then just store them in the fridge. you dont have to go throught the rinse process. but it will just live for weeks. just make sure you keep them in a fridge, thats the key.  

my set up at home. bucket of sea worms in a bait fridge, as for salt water. i get about 2 bottles then i bring it home. then i just keep it moving with an air pump that keeps it nice and fresh and stuff.

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 04:15:09 PM »

cheque came today :)... agian this isnt about the money but i got the fair amount for my setup. just so you guys dont have to worry again!