Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser May 30th  (Read 3878 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser May 30th
« on: May 30, 2004, 07:53:25 PM »

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon fishing near my place. Water clarity is down again from the rain last week, but still sitting at around 10 inches. :-\ I hadn't tried spinning for these bull trout yet this year because freshet started earlier than previous years. Today I thought I would give it a go for 30 minutes or so before outgoing tide. Ten minutes into it, One fish slammed on the copper spinner and immediately peeled the line out fast. It almost felt like pink salmon fishing once again. :D Five minutes later, fish was netted. While getting ready for the photo, I picked the fish up but it slipped out of the hand and went straight into the water! While we thought the fish was lost, I looked closer and found the fish sitting still on the bottom. I proceeded to put my hands out, scooped it up and a couple of photos were snapped before it went back into the water, again. :)

After that fish, one small bull trout was landed, then one larger fish was lost just after hookup as I pulled a bit too hard while it started to kick.

Biggest one so far this year, around 5lb. :)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Lower Fraser May 30th
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 07:55:29 PM »

nice looking fish rod ;D

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 07:58:30 PM »

awsome looking fish rod, do you know if they inhabbit the pittmeadows/mapleridge area. id love to cross that species of my list  ;)
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 08:17:05 PM »

Sure sounds like fun Rod, I'll have to get out there and check it out.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 08:21:18 PM »

Sure is a great fish!!!!!!!!!! Atleast someone didnt get skunked this weekend :o

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 08:21:55 PM »

Nice one, Rod!  My son and I tried the North Arm yesterday afternoon for about an hour with nothing to show for it.  Lots of weed there.  My son bottom fished with roe while I tried spinner.  Good to be out there though.  Haven't touched the fishing rods for 8 months!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 10:49:20 PM »

The lower Fraser can be the south AND north arm.  It's a generic term used to describe the Fraser anywhere downstream of the Portullo Bridge.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 11:05:24 PM »

Hey FA, what about the section from Portullo to the Pitt mouth or are you trying to keep that area to yourself? ;D Just kidding. I use the term "Lower Fraser" when I am referring to the Tidal Fraser. It's a huge piece of water to fish, and there really isn't a particular "best" spot for them because:

1. It's tidal, water moves up and down, fish are being moved around all the time, they don't congregate at one spot.

2. Bull trout are highly migratory, they go where the food goes. There are many times when I sit for hours without a bite, then there would be 30 minutes of feeding frenzy.

Check the article archives on the website and look under fishing locations as most of the spots are found in the "Lower Fraser" and can be excellent for bull trout.

Some notes:

The time span between 2 hours before and after peak tide is best.

Catch and release only.

Use large hooks when barfishing, ie. 1/0, 2/0, they have a big mouth. A fellow who landed a fish 8 years ago, and I could easily put my fist in its mouth. :o

For lures, both spoons and spinners would work. I tend to stick with 1/8 to 1/4oz ones. Experiment with colours, big factor especially when clarity of the water is always changing.

Good luck! :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 12:06:29 AM »

Hey FA, what about the section from Portullo to the Pitt mouth or are you trying to keep that area to yourself? ;D

Sheesh  :D