Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Belize - 2013  (Read 9180 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Belize - 2013
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:11:09 AM »

Again, I am not a photographer.  But I hope you enjoy these snapshots from my recent trip to Belize.

Green Heron

Many more to come, just noticed its past my bedtime.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Belize - 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:18 AM »

Cool - Green Herons are RARE sightings here in Vancouver, but they can sometimes be seem around Grant Narrows/Widgeon Slough.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »

Tropical Mockingbird.

banx

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »

wheres the fish man?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:39:48 PM »

My pièce de résistance hero fish-shot is coming.  It was taken with an old waterproof disposible camera, so I must be patient.

In the meantime, here is a Slaty Tailed Trogon.  No justice to this pretty bird is being done by this pic.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »

Pale Billed Woodpecker;

banx

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »

great pics.  how did you like your time on caye caulker?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »

It was outstanding.  In the last 6 years I have been to Cuba, Panama, BVI, Mexico a few times, the Dominican a couple times, Hawaii etc.  Caye Caulker/Belize is the first place that I would happily go back to again.

Caye Caulker is absolutely wonderful and somewhere I would cash my chips in for and go live there ,permanently.  Go Slow.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »

A tick off my bucket list;

Yeah yeah, it was caught on spinning gear and not on the fly.  It was so windy and casts had to be perfect.  It was however caught on my OWN gear with 10lb line. The guide (who was outstanding btw) said this fish was 13-14lbs. 

The fight was unforgetable.  It was like nothing I have experienced before.  I was giggling the whole time like a 10 year old Japanese girl eating jello for the first time.  The strength of these fish is incredible.

In 5 hours, I casted exactly 6 times.  If you don't land it perfectly, the fish are GONE.  The guide spotted them and said, 'LOOK, right there!!!!", I look and can't see ANYTHING.  Yes I had polarized lenses on.  The quality guides down there can spot them, untrained eyes, you see NOTHING.

He would yell out, "2 o'clock, 40 yards!" and I would try to land it.  I had one hook up and after a quick run, lost him.  Another bite/turn and off.  And this one I got to hand.  Like I said, 6 casts, TOTAL, all day.  You simply don't cast until he says too.  You will be casting at sand if you try to blind cast for fish out there. 

What an experience.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »

No bones or tarpon? I am going there next year for my 40th birthday

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »

Yes, many bones right off the shore at the places I stayed.  I even caught one while my wife was swimming, she took the hook off while she was in the water.  They are not hard to find/catch there, for now...

I only fished for a couple hours off the shore, and had just one quick 5 hour 'charter' to go after Permit, exclusively.  This was my goal.

Hard to get away fishing too much when the trip was for my 1 year wedding anniversary and her 30th bday.

Didn't bother for tarpon, been there done that and I didn't bring gear for them.  I watched a guy catch one (about 15lbs) from the shore at night, right off the dock where the main party bar is.  You can literally hand feed the tarpon where I was.

banx

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

awesome man.  thats a gorgeous fish.......  and it's funny what you said about the perfect cast or you spook the fish in the daytime.  I did that a couple of times. hahaha  and at night you could make the biggest splash casting out and they would be on your bait in 3 seconds.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »

Heading back in January.

Going south this time to Hopkins and maybe all the way down to Punta Gorda.

Can't wait to get out of this cold!

banx

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »

bump... how was your trip? any fishing reports? 

i'm going back early may again this year...... staying in the exact same apartment.  this time I will be bringing less gear (berkley baits, plugs and spoons) and zero flies.  I will just buy them from the fly shop there.

caught a ton of bones, but am aiming for a permit this trip and a grand slam if i'm lucky.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »

Sorry, for the delay.  Haven't been around for a while.

Forgot my damn travel rod.

The trip was good.  Didn't fish though.  It was too action packed inland for the most part.

Then for the 3 days I was in Hopkins...I didn't have my rod.  I booked a charter, then cancelled the night before.  Felt like sleeping in and saving the cash for another day.

Regrets?  Yes.