Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Telescopic Rod  (Read 2688 times)

dod

Telescopic Rod
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »

Hi all - im faced with a horrible situation in the coming weeks where Im having to go on vacation to Cabo ... hehe  :P
So ive done so much research on Cabo San Lucas and its now apparent to me that Cabo San Lucas is one of the best surf fishing spots in the world.
Of course there are endless charters available to chase big game fish too but my passion is feet on land and rod in hand!
I desperately want to bring a rod with me but not have to check it in as additional luggage and pay unnecessary costs.
So what im looking for is a telescopic rod - preferably one 7-8 feet. I know they exist as ive found them online, the issue is they cannot guarantee to get deliver it on time. So im posting my desperate search to the 'Fishing with Rod' world to see if anyone out there can help, do you have one i can buy off you? Borrow? Rent? Whatever!!!!
Anyway - sorry for the long winded post - I hope someone can help.
Cheers - Danny

Fisherama

Re: Telescopic Rod
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »

Have you looked at any local big box stores?  Canadian Tire or Army and Navy should have these in stock http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/FishingRods/PRDOVR~1781489P/Shimano+Exage+Telescopic+Rod.jsp?locale=en

Another option is to look for a rod that can be broken down into 4 (or more) pieces.  You shouldn't have any problem bring these as a second piece of carry on luggage.

doja

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »

Not sure the line rating but this may work out for you...

http://www.armyandnavy.ca/Amundson-PK-Rider-6-Piece-Spinning-Combo-with-Case-_p_1597.html

I have that rod and it's OK for fish up to 3-4 pounds but I would be weary of using it in Cabo as there are larger fish that could snap it in half pretty easily.

dod

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »

I have that rod and it's OK for fish up to 3-4 pounds but I would be weary of using it in Cabo as there are larger fish that could snap it in half pretty easily.

Thanks for that Cutthroat22 - I was seriously about to head there this arvo and grab it, but thanks to your review probably best not to for this run. Just after something cheap so i can take down there and possibly donate to the next tourist whos there for a week and be sure that he/she passes it on after they leave... and so on.
Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll check out the larger stores and hope to pick up one under $50. I can get one on ebay for $20 and free delivery, but its not gonna get here in time. :(

lapa

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »

I have one from Japan. Not sure what is line rating. Will check after work.

jump14

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »

I know its not a telescopic rod, but why not one of those 4 piece Rapala Magnum pack rods? The case would fit almost anywhere

dod

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »

Thanks Lapa and Jump14.
I looked up the Rapala Magnum and they look pretty sweet. I might just bite the bullet in and pick up one of these as worst case senario. They look great. Cheers

lapa

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »

It is 5 sections telescopic spinning rod. Brand new. Length -180cm (54cm when closed),weight of rod -110grams, line 15-30. The only label on english  -SURF RODS activesus design.

DRP79

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »

I am heading to Cabo on Sunday and i have a morning of surf fishing booked with wesley, he is cabosurfcaster on facebook. I believ he works out of Pisces charters. 120 usd for 4 hours.

dod

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »

Hi Lapa, are you saying you're willing to sell that?

And DRP79 - yeah ive read PLENTY of reports and seen vids of Wesley, he looks like he knows his sh*t thats for sure. However im happier to invest that money into some gear to fish for a few days whilst im there oppose to only once.
Id greatly appreciate hearing how you go and where about you fished - and whether or not you feel you could have done it with your own gear etc... And be sure to post pics and report! Look forward to hearing from you upon your return!

lapa

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »

Hi Lapa, are you saying you're willing to sell that?

Yes, I can sell it.

dod

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »

Yes, I can sell it.

Ok great to know. I have purchased the Rapala Magnum 4 piece already and if find that it wont arrive in time i'll hit you up. This one is a 7ft so the longer the better. Yours is only 6 so will be a good fall back im optioned out.
Cheers mate!

dod

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 10:37:47 AM »

For anyone that is keen for a travel rod, the Rapala Magnum Travel rods are on sale here!
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=25452
I called a local Vancouver supplier and they sell it at the shop for $89! so this is a BARGIN!
Ive had feedback these rods are fantastic - proof will be in the pudding when i take it to cabo! WOOT!

DRP79

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »

I am heading out with Wesley on Thursday morning. I know that next time, i will bring some of my own gear but a locals experience is going to help a lot i am sure.  At least that way, i can get a couple hours of fishing every morning rather than one day but i am loving every minute here in Cabo.