Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another "environmentally friendly" salmon feedlot ???  (Read 21111 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Another "environmentally friendly" salmon feedlot ???
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »

I'll let ED off the hook here and say yes, the senior managers of DFO based in Ottawa are doing a poor job of protecting wild salmon stocks but certainly not for your conspiracy theories; I say too many people, FN, sporties, and commercial fishers, are demanding their perceived right to kill salmon; as an example I'm asked almost daily if "we" are going to get a sockeye opening this summer, and just like they did for the east coast cod fishery, the people elected to manage this issue are listening to the people who put them in (and back in) office.  It's greed af, pure and simple; we know the problem and it's us.

Seriously....  DFO has the ability to say no and they are being harassed into saying yes by the different interest groups?

More believable is their primary objective is the promotion of fish farms, wild fish are a hassle for them. Your argument points to the fact that the only winners in this exercise will be the feedlots...  DFO is the bad guy. FN, sporties and commercial will need to put their equipment away, while the Norwegian feedlot companies will be smiling all the way to the bank.   Sad.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »

Are you suggesting DFO is not doing a good job at regulating catches of wild stock? Why would that be? Is it because they see wild fish as a problem that is costing the government and the feedlot industry market share?

NO, that is actually not what I was suggesting.
I was suggesting that they can only do so much, but that people's greed will rule (as Dave just said).

Think of how many people disregard the rules just to get their fish out of Lafarge, etc. Are you honestly so blind to see that people wouldn't do that on salmon/steelhead rivers even if they are closed? We NEED aquaculture to provide relatively inexpensive fish so that people don't simple eliminate what is left of wild stocks. Gov will keep allotting more and more of what is left if they are pressured to do so until nothing is left. It's ALL politics and money, nothing to do with science or sustainability as far as wild salmon are concerned.

I appreciate that you like all pro feedlot posters would like to deflect the question of the unsustainability of growing feedlot fish when you need to catch wild fish to grow them. The post you were referencing was regarding feedlot salmon not pets. (but for your info I don't own any pets) Most people are aware that much of the fish meal comes from areas of the world where regulations are not enforced, so suggesting that only a set number of wild fish are caught for fish meal is just not true. Perhaps you would do better in "educating" us if you answered the question on conversion ratios rather than just repeating what previous feedlot proponents have said.

Did you even read my reply? Are you honestly that caught up in lies that you push everything away. Look at any salmon feed and you will realize that they are going away from fin fish and going almost exclusively to plant proteins, chicken bone proteins, etc.

And as for the conversion ratio's... I told the truth. They told the truth as well, what more do you want us to say? Once again... too lead astray to listen...

dnibbles

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »

Lol.....  but you won't answer the question. That 1:1 conversion ratio is becoming stale, can't you guys freshen it up a little with some truth?

Question was answered for you above with a link (something you haven't been able to provide to back your 10:1 FCR claim).

The crickets come out when af starts his nonsensical rants. I feel for the fellas with well thought out arguments that unfortunately happen to be on the same side of the fence as this guy.

My understanding is that our government works hard at managing the harvest of the wild stocks. Are you suggesting that the same good folks that are "supposedly" doing a great job of managing the feedlot industry are allowing overfishing, perhaps even managing the wild fisheries to extinction?

DFO is the bad guy. FN, sporties and commercial will need to put their equipment away, while the Norwegian feedlot companies will be smiling all the way to the bank.   

Which is it? Is DFO the bad guy, or does the govt works hard to manage the fishery well? Tax season is over, you should have some more free time to start researching this stuff now. But I guess that isn't really your style, is it? Kind of like your idol AM's MO of just throwing out inflammatory and alarmist nonsense. Better stick to the script hey? lawlllllllll!!!!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 07:00:22 AM »

A simple answer and some support for the question I asked would have been sufficient and would have saved you boys a lot of typing.....

I like how you say that with a straight face......  If the industry was honest about it they would tell us how many pounds of "live fish" it takes to produce a pound of "live" atlantic. The ratio is probably closer to 10:1

Taking the weight of the fish oil and dried compressed fish meal it takes to put a pound of atlantic filet on a grocery shelf is not an honest comparison....

I maintain Salmon feedlot farming is not sustainable because the feedlot industry is taking fish that could otherwise have been eaten by humans and converting it to fish food so they can turn around and sell it at a profit. Any attempt to minimize the fish meal and fish oil in the feed diminishes the taste, texture and nutritional value of a feedlot fish. Feedlots already need to feed their fish, dye just to get the color of the flesh to an acceptable level.

Why don't we all just focus on the discussion and leave the personal insults out of your responses.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »

Five minutes of your time with Google and the search function here would vastly increase your understanding of this and all the other subjects you pontificate on. It's your responsibility to at least make an effort to educate yourself, not everybody else's to do the work for you. Bottom line is that your opinion isn't important enough to do any more work than has already been done for you and even that is more than you have earned with your approach to dealing with those who have tried to assist your understanding.

Don't like the insults? Then curtail your own use of them; you will be treated in the same manner you treat others.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »

Don't like the insults?

The insults don't bother me..... just that I realized if you boys stopped tossing them and answered a simple question that this thread would be half it's length.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 10:38:36 AM »

If you made even a small effort to do some research, the thread wouldn't exist.