Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cuba - 2013  (Read 3903 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Cuba - 2013
« on: April 20, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »

Admittedly I did a lot more looking through my bins than I did shooting.

Unfortunately, given my poor photo skills combined with the distances that I was shooting from and that these are untouched.  I was excited to see many of the endemics of Cuba including the Bee Humingbird, Cuban Trogon, Cuban Tody, Cuban Emerald Hummingbird, Great Lizard-Cuckoo (also found in the Bahamas) and the Cuban Screech Owl.  Our guide was terrific.

My pictures are here for giggles only, and do not do these beautiful creatures any justice. 

The amazing endemic, Cuban Trogon

Great Lizard-Cuckoo

The ubiquitous American Kestrel and a personal favourite species

Smooth Billed Ani

Helmuted Guinea Fowl

West Indian Woodpecker

Greater Antillean Grackle

Cuban Screech Owl, we had to some SERIOUS bushwacking to find this guy

Bonus, me evacuating a few Bucanero Fuerte into the Bay of Pigs

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Cuba - 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »

Cool!  The Trogons look a lot like the masked Trogons of Ecuador.  From the brush around that owl... I imagine it was some hard work finding the little sucker!

Nice work.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »

It was DENSE and the ground was pure mosquito laden MUCK to make matters worse.  Ankle deep trudging, getting eaten alive (30% deet did as much good as slathering your skin with maple syrup) and the branches snapping and forth made me look I was hit with 50 lashes.

It was all for the greater good and worth it though.  Our guide (Angel Martinez) knew where he was going and we got to see the owl come out of a hollowed out tree and flicker away.  It was an experience.

His ability to mimick and call out the Cuckoo's was hilarious.

Anyhoo, off to Belize on Friday!  No endemics, but it should be awesome anyway.  We are going to be at the Crooked Tree Lodge for a few nights, then off to Caye Caulker for a few more days.  Should be a lot to take in.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:19 AM »

Anyhoo, off to Belize on Friday!  No endemics, but it should be awesome anyway.  We are going to be at the Crooked Tree Lodge for a few nights, then off to Caye Caulker for a few more days.  Should be a lot to take in.
I hate you. :D

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »

Yeah, first birding for a couple days, then chasing Bonefish, Permit, Tarpon and Snook (and a few Belikins).

Tough life, lucky my wife is good with this, as it is her 30th B-day and our 1st year anniversary all happening on our trip.

1 year ago;