Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hicks Lake - May 29th  (Read 2167 times)

markyboy

Hicks Lake - May 29th
« on: May 29, 2004, 10:57:37 PM »

Was a pretty cold day out at Hicks today. The sun broke through for about 10 minutes in total, the rest of the time it was overcast/raining and cold. Despite the conditions, it was a pretty good day , caught 8 and at least 4 got away.

From what I saw, everyone landed some fish today (even the kids fishing from shore) but all were in the 8 to 10 inch range - no big ones around.

My fish were all caught on a leech pattern trolled just off the rocky point due west of the boat launch, most of the others were having success with worms.

This was my first time out with a fishfinder. Boy it makes it a lot easier, I don't think there'll be any going back for me now. :) What I find funny is the last time I fished at Hicks, I had picked out several spots that I was convinced would hold fish (such as between the two islands). Today when I trolled these spots with the fishfinder, I only saw one or two fish, whereas fifteen yards out from the boat launch was a school of twenty of them.

I can think of so many times standing on the shore or a dock looking out at the lake wishing I had a boat to go fish the little islands or the far shore and now that I have one, I tie up 30 yards from the dock.....go figure

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re:Hicks Lake - May 29th
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 06:20:06 AM »

glad you had a good time. did you try down at the far end of the lake it gets deeper there.have heard of some nice ones being caught at that end.

markyboy

Re:Hicks Lake - May 29th
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 11:36:56 AM »

That's Cheating

I know :) but it's either that or a stick of dynamite - and I keep getting the fuse wet.

did you try down at the far end of the lake it gets deeper there.have heard of some nice ones being caught at that end.

Nope, I only trolled the top third of the lake. What I did notice there was that (if you believe the fishfinder) 90% of the fish there are small, about 2% medium and 8% large - which means that the majority of the medium sized one's are holed up somewhere else. I had heard/read that the far end was a good spot, I'll try it next time, thanks.