Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing opportunities in Cabo?  (Read 12683 times)

DRP79

Fishing opportunities in Cabo?
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »

I will be heading to Cabo in a couple weeks and was just wondering if anyone had any tips about fishing opportunities while there.

Things such as what I would be fishing for from shore, gear etc.

I have a 5/6wt setup but not sure if thats too light or what kind of flies etc.

Spinning rod with spoons/spinners?

Thanks.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing opportunities in Cabo?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »

Good fishing for Dorado,wahoo,marlin and yellow fin tuna. Trolling surface lures at a slightly faster speed then for Salmon. Best bet is to book a charter boat. There is surf fishing from shore in certain locations such as on the south side of the San jose del cabo marina.Not sure what they were using,or what they were fishing for, they were chucking bait with stout spincast rods and waiting for a bite.

DRP79

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:04:04 AM »

Thanks Dennis. I have been looking into charters as apparently it is still marlin season which would be a blast. They seem reasonably priced but based on 4 people so hopefully I can find other travelers who would like to go as I am the only fisherman of my group.

mikep

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

Try "Go Deep" charters in cabo, these guys are the real deal and love to fish. We went out on a 8 hr charter and then ended up staying out for 10.5 hours just because we were on the marlin bite! @ $750 a day they arent cheap but having quality tackle and a really nice 31' balckfin boat is really nice. Definatly is not your typical mexican operation.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

i have caught fish there. You can cast into the surf with metal spoons and reel rather fast. it can land you roosters and other variety of fish. If you get a charter then go try for roosters for sure! they are fun! good luck and have fun!

DRP79

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »

Thanks Ali, I am hoping to do some surf fishing for sure and want to do a charter if I can get a couple people to go with me.

iCemAn

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:19:07 AM »

I will be heading to Cabo in a couple weeks and was just wondering if anyone had any tips about fishing opportunities while there.

Things such as what I would be fishing for from shore, gear etc.

I have a 5/6wt setup but not sure if thats too light or what kind of flies etc.

Spinning rod with spoons/spinners?

Thanks.

I fished Cabo in January and will be heading back at the end of May. Are you staying in Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo or elsewhere?

I stayed in San Jose and did some beach fishing with a 9wt fly rod. I also did 1 day guided out of Cabo San Lucas with Baja Anglers. I set up everything with Grant and fished with Arturro.

http://www.baja-anglers.com/home27/welcome

This was my first Sierra on a fly. Caught him on my 10wt Sage RPLx and it took me into my backing in seconds! After a couple dozen fish on, my poor Islander LX 3.8 was put aside as the clicker/drag was destroyed. Thank goodness for having backups!

It was a blast but expect big seas out of Cabo San Lucas as you are fishing on the Pacific side mainly. I caught a ton of Sierra on the fly. Had shots at a Rooster and Dorado but didn't hook up. I didn't bother for bill fish that trip.

When I go back the last week of May I will be fishing the East Cape with Baja Fly Fishing Company 1 day and will be doing some beach fishing as well. I have chatted with Mike Rieser and met with him at the Fly Show in Seattle this winter. Also check out his book if you are going to get serious about fishing down there. Great info and is available on his website.

http://www.bajaflyfish.com/

As for a rod, for fishing from the beach you are going to want an 8-10wt setup that can handle the salt water, and a reel with a lot of backing. You are generally fishing in surf so you need to be able to cast and manage your line. This photo was on a "low surf" day in around my resort in San Jose. In Cabo San Lucas the waves are generally a lot bigger as you get onto the Pacific.

As for flies, clousers are a good start and I have boxes full of them. All different colours, but your chartreuse is your main colour. I have them in different colours and sizes along with a few boxes of other patterns.

I also did see a number of guys surf fishing with gear rods using poppers and bait fish imitation.

A third guide I have chatted with lots but he has been busy both of my trips so I haven't had a chance to fish with him is Jeff DeBrown.

http://www.thereelbaja.com

Let me know if you have any more questions as I have fished it and done hours and hours of research and reading. What dates will you be down there?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:22:18 AM by iCemAn »
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

DRP79

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 07:13:11 AM »

Thanks for the great info. I will be in Cabo San Lucas from the 5-11 of May. So many choices as far as charters go.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

Expect really hot and dry weather in early May.

stormhaven

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »

Hi
Just got back from Cabo a few weeks ago fishing is excellent from shore I fished with Wesley
Cabosurfcaster (he's on face book).
Fishing was none stop Roosters mackerel and jacks one guy even caught a Dorado all from shore.
He supplies all the gear and picks you up from downtown cabo 6am.
John

dod

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »

Hi
Just got back from Cabo a few weeks ago fishing is excellent from shore I fished with Wesley
Cabosurfcaster (he's on face book).
Fishing was none stop Roosters mackerel and jacks one guy even caught a Dorado all from shore.
He supplies all the gear and picks you up from downtown cabo 6am.
John

HI John,

Im in Cabo from 18th to 25th this month. So bloody excited esp to surf fish as ive read so much about it.
May i please quiz you on where you surf fished exactly?
Ive bought my own gear and feel that my 7ft pack rod will be slightly inadequate  :-[ but that wont stop me from giving it a right royal go! Did you mainly use spoons or surface lures too? 
Got any pics to brag with? Would love to see them!

danny

stormhaven

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »

Hi Danny
Fishing from the shore is really a lot of fun and there are tons of fish of huge sizes to be had.
I would invest in a larger rod though 10-12 ' feet as you have to cast far
And have to deal with huge waves at times btw be carefull i had to pull another guy
Out of the surf he seemed more concerned with his lost flip flop than nealry drowning.
I would really go with a guide its cheap and they know the best places to fish.
I went with wesly cabosurfcaster well worth thw money $120 for 4 hours and he has all the best gear.
I recenty picked up mt own surf rod an Century 1505 for next time .
If you need anymore questions send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number .
John

stormhaven

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »

For lures go BIG and go here
http://www.jansen.mx/jnsn/eng/contacto.php
They have all the lures and gear and at a decent price
Although if your needing a new rod there as are rather heavy.
If you do a search on trip adviser there is a guy who has a rod and reel
You can borrow for a small donation $25 I think to a local charity
It can be picked up from a local bar I think.

dod

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »

Fantastic, thanks for the response John.
Yeah i know i'll should have a longer rod but given its not too much of a hassle to bring my 7ft'er down im gonna give it a shot anyway, nothing to lose right? And a crap load of bragging rights if i can pull in a nice rooster lighter gear. : )
Ive checked out the guy who has gear for $25 but its booked out that week unfortunately.
And ive seen this wesly fella - will definitely be hitting him up if my solo efforts fail me.
Thanks again and will update everyone upon my return.

soliak

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:03 AM »

Fantastic, thanks for the response John.
Yeah i know i'll should have a longer rod but given its not too much of a hassle to bring my 7ft'er down im gonna give it a shot anyway, nothing to lose right? And a crap load of bragging rights if i can pull in a nice rooster lighter gear. : )
Ive checked out the guy who has gear for $25 but its booked out that week unfortunately.
And ive seen this wesly fella - will definitely be hitting him up if my solo efforts fail me.
Thanks again and will update everyone upon my return.

Hey mate,

I am going to have a solid 4-5 days of surf fishing with Wesley in August, definitely check him out.

Look what they landed this morning: