Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding scent to single eggs  (Read 1760 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Adding scent to single eggs
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »

I still have some water hardedned single eggs in a jar that have yet to be tied into sacks. I'm kind of done with gear fishing for steelhead for this year and am trying to get out with the fly rod and work on that instead.

I'm thinking of tying them into sacks and just giving them to a buddy who is still gear fishing for steelhead. If he dosen't want them perhaps I'll use them for salmon starting July first. I have never fished egg sacks for salmon, just skien roe. I'm assuming there is no reason why one couldn't fish an egg sack instead of skien roe for salmon? I like how the mesh sacks stay on your hook for a long time; I find skien roe a messy bother - although sometimes a necessary evil.

Anyway, to the point. I've heard of guys scenting their single eggs. I've never tried this. I've always just tied up sacks with the eggs straight from the salt brine. Are their any opinion of scented eggs vs. unscented?

I have a few different bottles of scent kicking around. "Salmon" (Mike's green stuff, smells like anise), herring, and sand shrimp. All are the gel type and all are Mike's brand I think.

I'm curious if:

1- It matters if you scent your eggs with an oil in the scent of your choice, or if you can use the gel? I'm thinking the gel will make an ooey gooey mess when you go you tie your sacks. Or maybe the eggs will soak it in. I have no idea.

2- Does anyone have any tips of the best scent for differnt fish. For example for steelhead I would scent them with anise or shrimp, but for springs perhaps herring? If there is another killer scent I do not have I would be willing to pick some jup and give it a shot.

All tips appreciated as I know very little about this.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Re: Adding scent to single eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »

If youn want to use oil or gel scent I would tie the bags up first then add scent/store in jar.Or just add scent while fishing.That would make it easier to have more options till you find one that works/you like.You can add some scent and colour using a little bit of pro-cure/fire-cure before tying bags, and just use them like that. Or add additonal scent after tying....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »

Just squirt a bit of your favourite scent on the roe bags before putting them in your container.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »

Thanks guys. Gel vs. oil scent, do you think it matters? Will the gel soak in do you think? I've never used the oil based scents, but I figure it would soak in better. I don't really want goopey/snotty eggs. I like the idea of just adding a bit of scent to the sack while fishing, however if possible I would like to have them pres-cented before hittng the river.

Would anyone care to share thier favorite scents for fish X? I've also heard you can buy anise oil from the healthfood store. Not really sure what benifets anise oil has but I'll check and see if the one I go to occasionally for supplements carries it.