Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What a day at the cap!!! May 29th  (Read 4374 times)

FishKid

What a day at the cap!!! May 29th
« on: May 29, 2004, 12:57:57 PM »

I woke up at around 3:15 am but as I looked out the window it was raining like cats and dogs,  well actually it was pissing rain.  Got to the river at 4:00 am.
I first tried the cable pool to no avail,  soon after I went to dog leg and saw one jump but no biters.  Then me and my dad went to doctors,  we fished there for about an hour with nothing to show for it. So we went back up to cable at around 9:00 am,  there I hooked into two fish quickly and lost them both, after those two nothing at the cable.  And again me and my dad head back to dog leg as we arrive at dog leg we see three anglers there already.  So I asked them,  any luck? They respond "no".  I first tried a crocodile spoon with some colourful dots and a red stripe on the side,  I took about 4-6 casts with this spoon before changing over to the brass smooth fire wing crocodile spoon.  first cast nothing, second cast nothing, third cast nothing, fourth cast nothing, and on my fifth cast or so I let my spoon sink quite a bit before realing it in slowly.  As I was realing it in I felt a tug, I think to myself oh cupcakes I missed it,  suddenly I'm yelling to my dad fish on and it's a good sized one too.  it fought hard, it was peeling line off my baitcaster.  I wanted to make sure I got this coho to shore so i took my time and after a minute or two I had myself a 4-5 pound coho 21 inches.  After that I was to stoaked to keep fishing at dog leg so I went back to cable.  Upon my arrival I saw a good number of coho's sitting near the bottom.  I casted of the cliff, twitching my spoon and I see them following it,  one takes it but quickly spits it out.  this happened many times today.  Then I made a lot more casts and lost a few and landed one in the 2 pound range(15 inches).

When I was fishing off the cliff I just twitched the spoon or used it like a zinger or Buzz bomb.  Because it's hard to keep your lure at a constant level when fishing from a high cliff.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 04:31:27 PM by Robert »

FishKid

Re:What a day at the cap!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 01:18:39 PM »

Oh yes,  it was extremely heavy rain today.  Fortunately I had my waders and my rain coat on.  I'll be at the capilano tomorrow as well.  What about you?

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 01:25:39 PM »

did u just lift the fish up that high cliff? ???

FishKid

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 01:26:07 PM »

I'll be at the cable pool first thing in the morning and then dog leg.  I just checked the forecast for tomorrow and it's supposed to rain,  that's a good thing ;D It'll push some more coho's into the river.

FishKid

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 02:33:28 PM »

badboi,  I just lifted the coho up the cliff.  Fortunately the fish wasn't bigger than the big one I caught.  If I had to pull a big one up that cliff my line might have snapped cuz I only use six pound line for the capilano coho's right now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 02:34:45 PM by Robert »

drifter

• I'm a llama!
Re:What a day at the cap!!! May 29th
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 05:55:23 PM »

hey robert me and my buddy will be there tommorow

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 06:25:43 PM »

nice ho's ;D

FishKid

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 06:35:38 PM »

Thanks.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 08:05:49 PM »

hi robert ,nice fish ,sound like you got better luck than your dad ;D

FishKid

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 08:09:09 PM »

My dad doesn't fish right now cuz he hasn't bought a new license.  Luck only played a small part the rest was just skill.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 08:14:25 PM »

Nice report Robert and a good fish as well.

You should have had a bet with the Doctor as he like buying people breakfast that catch a fish before him. ;D ;D

I have taken two off him so far this season. ;D ;D ;D

FishKid

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 08:17:25 PM »

Yeah,  I'd rather not.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 08:21:07 PM »

You should have had a bet with the Doctor as he like buying people breakfast that catch a fish before him. ;D ;D

I have taken two off him so far this season. ;D ;D ;D

He's setting you up for the Big One Chris.  ;D

trout flyfisher1

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 12:12:44 AM »

nice pic...  one question - what is that red thing by the fish? bait?   ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2004, 12:26:47 AM »

Skein of roe