Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTB: Rod + Reel for Fraser River bottom bouncing and bar fishing.  (Read 1652 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer

Looking for a rod and reel suitable for casting heavy lead (3oz and up). I have a 11"6 med/heavy Shimano Technium rated to toss up to 2oz. I have used it on the Fraser several times for bottom bouncing, but a 4ishoz bouncing betty feels like it is overloading the rod on the cast, and with a big fish on + that weight the rod is pushed to the max. I'm looking for a rod with lots of backbone that can handle more weight and has more power. I don't care if it's old and ugly, or even fiberglass. Should be at least 9" long, ideally longer. Would prefer spinning style over casting.

As for the reel, well like the 11"6 rod I have I also have a nice baitcaster on it. This reel works fine on the Fraser and I could easily put it on a more powerful rod, but I would like to find a cheaper reel to match the new rod. I ideally I would like a big strong spinning reel. I prefer level wind reels, but IMO a spinning reel has less that can go wrong with it, and I don't intend to do any maintenance on it.

I am not looking for high end/expensive gear here. I'm looking for something that someone has lying around and wants to flog for cheap. I only go to the Fraser once or twice a year, the rest of the time I fish the Chehailus, Vedder, etc. If the reel already has braid on it all the better as that's what I would spool it up with.

If anyone has a set up for sale please give me the specs on the rod. I don't care about the brand, but would like to know the rod's length, power, line rating, etc.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:40:44 PM by Spawn Sack »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: WTB: Rod + Reel for Fraser River bottom bouncing and bar fishing.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »

Just curious why do you prefer spinning reel vs casting reel for bb'ing? I've never used a spinning reel...what advantage do you see?

kalex60

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:54:09 AM »

I have a 10'6" technium matched with a Calcutta 400b
I have not bounce it so it has never had Much stress put on it the 10 6 is stiffer than the  long rod that your are using

Pin-nook

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »

Just curious why do you prefer spinning reel vs casting reel for bb'ing? I've never used a spinning reel...what advantage do you see?

Good question!! 

I haven't BB'd for 6-7 years as I have seen the bad effects it has brought on other rivers after the Sockeye Harvesting has ended. The only advantage I would see a spinning reel having is line retrieval and drag system once you hook a fish but I bet the hookup ratio is better with a baitcasting reel because of the line payoff being so direct from the reel rather that the bail system and slack line from a spinning reel.   

At times I do miss the Sockeye Flossery and used to constantly listen to the Berry's phone-in report hoping to hear of an opening but then again the bars weren't as busy as they are in present years.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »

Dennis K, normally for this type of fishing I would favor a level wind reel. However in this case I am looking for a spinning reel for a few reasons:

1- From my experince an older baitcaster that has not been maintained well can have a lot of issues, especially when casting a 3-5oz bouncing betty and the innerds of the reel are spinning at a million RPM. Whereas an older spinning reel just has less to go wrong with it. Bailer works...drag works...probably fine.

2- I reel LH, and a spinning reel can be switched to LH no problem. If I were looking for a LH baitcaster it would be harder to find as most people reel RH.

3- There isn't much demand for an older spinning rod/reel, so I figure I can pick one up a fair bit cheaper than a levelwind and baitcasting rod.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »

I have a 10'6" technium matched with a Calcutta 400b
I have not bounce it so it has never had Much stress put on it the 10 6 is stiffer than the  long rod that your are using

Kalex60, thanks for the offer but that reel is RH (and only comes in RH unfortunately). I reel LH. Nice rod too but I'm looking more for a chreap spinning set up and that rod will only work with a baitcasting reel.

A nice setup, but even if I reeled RH would likely be more than I'm looking to spend. I only go to the Fraser a few times a year and am looking for something cheap and tough I don't need to worry about.

An ideal set up would be a 9 foot or (even better) 10+ foot spinning rod with lots of strength/power matched to a big spinning reel (Okuma or whatever...nothing too high end) with 50ishLB braid on the spool.