Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weaver Lake  (Read 3769 times)

bcboy

Weaver Lake
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »

Hey guys.  Planning to head to Weaver this weekend, We got a canoe and will probably just cruise the shore looking for hot spots.  I went up last weekend,  The gate is finally open and the road is decent (they redid the road with small shale so its really loose,  but go slow and you will be fine)  We didn't catch anything but we fished from shore.  Has anyone had any luck lately?  Or got a tip they are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.  I will let you know how it goes when i get back! (if you have any questions on the road up just ask)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Weaver Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »

When you launch, there is a large island on your right. Past that island, there is a wide opening (looks like a bay) with several logs sticking from the bottom near the end. Troll that area with a black leech or a "pumpkin seed" on a clear intermediate fly line. Try to keep the fly as close to the structure as you possibly can without snagging. Lots of nice sized fish there that have been more than cooperative in the spring. Careys and Doc Spratleys in maroon have also produced for me there. Chrironomiding also works if you find a suitable dropoff (a depth finder sure helps in that regard).
All the advice above is provided you fly fish.

If you fish bait and gear, I've seen people from shore take trout on worms and Powerbait and also from boats by trolling a flatfish. Can't give you details, as I don't use gear to fish lakes.

bcboy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »

Thanks a ton Milo!  Any info is good info.  I will be fishing bait this time around but do want to try fly fishing later this summer.  My buddy will most likely be fishing fly.  I will tell him to use those flies.  Let you know how we do!! Thanks again.  Looking forward to posting many fishing reports this year.

kid fisherman

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »

Rodney have a good video of his set up that he use at weaver lake. Lots of good info as per usual.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »

Like Milo stated once you head out on the lake there is a long bay on the right. There is a couple of small islands over there with shoals around them where you could bait fish as well. This time of year dragging a Carey 6 pack over those shoals with a type 5 will get a strike almost every time. It's a cool lake to explore if you've never been out on it in a boat before.
Just remember there's no fishing from the log booms to the creek at the launch there.
Good luck.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »

fishing bait on weaver simple, cast it out, let it sink to the boat and let it sit about 1-2 feet from the bottom i usually would do 2 cranks on the reel off bottom.  fish will be hungry now since the lake will be heating up, and with this weather, fishing should be really good.

Fly fishing i have found that olive woolly buggers with some purple or blue flash in the tail, and a orange or gold bead head works really well up there too.   trolling them near bottom and around structure.

bcboy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! Cant wait to get this season started  :).  Where are your guys favorite lakes?  Not asking for your secret holes just some good stories :)

mr.bean

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:03:09 PM »

did you ever make it up to weaver ? how was the fishing ? going up there next sunday any adcice about bait and gear would be appreciated. have never been up there, so should be good.  one of my favourite lakes is bluey lake  close to merrit.  fly fishing only, but rainbows up to 5 lbs. there. cheers

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »

I heard from a fella a weekend or two ago there was a large tree blocking the road on the way to weaver, and he could not get passed it. If youre heading out, take a chainsaw or something if you can!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

whereismyfloat

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »

My son and I went up this past Easter weekend and did great.

When you get there in the morning the lake is usually covered in logs. Often the boat launch is a gauntlet to get out of. As the morning progresses and the wind comes up the logs move from the boat launch across the lake to other side. If you take a minute and look closely at the logs you'll notice they are covered in these. These caddis fall off the logs as the wind moves them around the lake. If you pump a stomach it'll look like they're gorging on twigs;

I first noticed this about 3 years ago. When I got home I tied up some of these;

Since then, I've never needed another fly on Weaver.

Either go to where Milo suggested or head straight out from the launch. As you move to the back half of the lake you have to travel through a tight passage. As you move towards that passage the water depth goes from 40 feet to about 15 feet. Fish this drop off with an Intermediate or Type 3 if you're trolling. Keep your fly tight to the log structures near shore.

Do that and you'll get lots of these;

mr.bean

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »

thanks floatman for the update. very cool and interesting pictures.i dont have a flyrod, so we gonna try baitfishing with eggs and krill and trolling a small spoon or flatfish. 

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 12:08:08 AM »

spent the day up there today, road is rougher then i though it would be after hearing it was resurfaced, but its still good.

Fished all day, but trolling with no motor makes it difficult to control a fly rod and paddle a 14 foot alu boat at the same time.   needless to say, i missed a lot of fish, but still had fun, fish have been feeding heavily on mosquitos on the top. but got all the strikes near bottom and near log structures like usual for weaver. hooked / missed fish throughout the entire lake