Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on Gear  (Read 5184 times)

sassygrams

Advice on Gear
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:56:31 AM »

Hello,
I am hoping for a bit of advice on what gear to obtain for salmon fishing in the lower mainland.  I currently have fly fishing set up for trout on lakes. 
Upon arriving back to the lower mainland, I would like to fly fish the rivers  and perhaps do some drift fishing.  I would greatly appreciate the advice.
Looking forward to reading the comments.
Louise
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

dave c

Re: Advice on Gear
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »

Hi Louise: for salmon/steelhead drift fishing you could use a bait casting setup or centerpin.  Considering your fly fishing background you might want to try Spey, however saying that, during the salmon runs with increased fishing pressure you would be limited to certain areas with lots of room.  Centerpinning should not be a problem for you.  Tight lines :o)

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »

Hey Louise,

I remember you did very good at the cap and the vedder few years back. so you can use the same method for drift fishing .  Good luck.

sassygrams

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »

Thank you for the input, although I was hoping for actual gear suggestions - I've tried bait casting, need way more practice for elimination of birds nests  :-\ though.....  Which I have no problem doing, although the centre pin has my interest....  I've never purchased either and hoped for suggestions on brand, length of rod, weight of rod - and then some reels more common to the users of this forum.  Spey, that would be new to me.
I can walk into any store and ask, although after being on this forum for a few years, I have come to trust the suggestions to at least narrow my searching down.
Leapin' tyee - yes, I agree, I did ok back then - although few years have past and may just be a bit rusty....

L
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

dave c

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »

the centre pin has my interest....  I've never purchased either and hoped for suggestions on brand, length of rod, weight of rod - and then some reels more common to the users of this forum. 
I was new to centerpinning this fall and some helpful tips from members in this forum picked it up quite quick and now prefer it over may bait caster.  Entry level rods $100 - $150 Trophy, Shimano are common in the 9' to 13' range, most use a 10' 6" but alot of shorter people find 9' more manageable (i believe Rod uses a 9 footer).  There are so many reels to choose from.  Entry level again $150 - $200, brands - Okuma, Rapala but the list goes on.  Check out Buy & Sell in this forum as well.  Great deals to be had.... guys looking to upgrade etc.  I personally picked-up my reel in the Buy & Sell...it's a Kingpin Prototype used by a Guide and I couldn't be happier.  I hope this info helps. ;o)

dave c

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »

Louise:  On page 2 of buy and sell Steelhead Addict has a Sheffield Merlin Centerpin for sale for $90.00

sassygrams

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »

Thank you Dave C

dave c

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »

;)

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 02:18:53 AM »

Hi Louise.
I have both centerpin and baitcaster set ups. Love the pin, but sometimes the baitcaster is more suited.
Shimano convergence 10'6 8-17 pounds will cost you $90 new.
And can use an Abu 6500c3 for $130 I think new.
Or you can go for a Calcutta or daiwa Luna for 250-300. Nicer reels

My first pin set up was a 10'6 trophy xl 8-17lbs. For $149
And a vintage hardy super silex I inherited.
I now use an islander steelheader and have a hardy silex as a back up.
Lots of islanders to be found in buy ad sells all over.

If you're fishing the cap a 6 wt fly rod can handle those little coho.
Good friend of mine uses that set up all the time.
I haven't fished the cap myself for a few years...crowds irritate me lol

sassygrams

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:11 AM »

;D thank you for the responses - I now have something to research and ideas of packages. 
Tight lines y'all.
L

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »

Welcome back to the Lower Mainland L. :) Last season I started using a 9'6" Shimano Clarus baitcasting rod (rated 8 - 12lb) and a Shimano Chronarch low profile baitcasting reel, really enjoyed it. I used it for float fishing as well as casting spoons and spinners. This combo has worked well for both coho and chum salmon.

The setup is more on the expensive side, but the alternative is to get the Shimano Convergence in the same spec and a cheaper baitcasting reel. There are so many different reasonably priced baitcasting reels to choose from these days.

For centerpin rod, take a look at Trophy XL for sure if you don't want to invest too much. I would place more emphasis on getting a good centerpin reel that can last for a long time.

Good luck!

sassygrams

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the welcome back, I have missed being in the fishing ranks of the lower mainland, awesome photo's you posted. 

Baitcasting set up looks great - and something within the price I was considering.  For a Centerpin reel - not cheap or top end, what would you suggest?  I'd like mid range, maybe a bit better so that I'm not replacing or fighting with it. 

;D L

Bandit420

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the welcome back, I have missed being in the fishing ranks of the lower mainland, awesome photo's you posted. 

Baitcasting set up looks great - and something within the price I was considering.  For a Centerpin reel - not cheap or top end, what would you suggest?  I'd like mid range, maybe a bit better so that I'm not replacing or fighting with it. 

;D L

Raven makes great centre pin reels for entry level. they are around $200 at berrys bait and ive heard nothing but good things about them.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 07:54:25 AM »

Hey Louise, go check this out at the buy and sell section.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32485.0

sassygrams

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »

I have sent a message to the link - let's see what is still available.