Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: capilano river  (Read 8872 times)

jacklam999

capilano river
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »

Any one have fished there recently?  I have never try to fish salmon before, and i have a normal spinning reel and rod and a fly rod set, (I mainly fish in lake before). Does anyone know what is happening there now? also which location of the river is better for begininger, since i looked some video on youtube and most people are fishing off the cliff, which is quite dangerous.

Thank you

jacklam999

Re: capilano river
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »

also is it ok just to use normal spinning rod+reel instead of using centerpin reel? thank you

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »

No salmon in the cap right now. Around the end of April/may the early jack coho will start to trickle in. In June it will heat up and when the water starts to drop again in the summer, the fishing will slow. It will pick back up after towards the fall depending on water conditions, this is when the chinooks, chum and coho will flood the river. Make sure that if you fish it, ALL steelhead, hatchery or not, MUST be RELEASED.

jacklam999

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »

oh i see, do you think is ok just to use spinning reel/ fly fishing for these salmon instead of using centerpin ?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »

Spinning rod is perfect and so is flyfishing. 

As for spots I suggest parking at the hatchery and doing a little exploring before the salmon season starts.

jacklam999

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »

hwta bait or lure do u usually use, also how long is ur leader is usually?       what kind of flies is suitable in these river? thank you

kalex60

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »

Fish roe lots of roe doesn't even need to be good roe the like it even if its like jam.
And any dark leeches like size 8-10 for coho flourocarbon will give you a big advantage these fish are leader shy. Please know your fish the steelhead are aggressive and the summers stay sliver like coho and I have seen to many die there.

jacklam999

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »

I SEE THANK YOU, yes i will go online to make sure how to identify the fish and all the regulation before i head out there.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

kalex60

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »

Thanks rod

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »

A trout spinning outfit is adequate enough if you are just targeting coho salmon in the Capilano River. Bring along a box of lures like Gibbs' golden/silver hammered Crocs in 1/4oz and 1/8oz, spinners made from size 2 to 4 Colorado blade, you should do just fine. I would find spots where water is less turbulent so your lure can reach the depth where the fish are without being swept downstream too quickly by the current. I would also find spots where you can walk into the water safely. Cast and retrieve, be ready for strikes immediately after the lure lands in the water, watch for fish following behind your lure as you retrieve. First and last light are your best bet, a steady rise of water level after or during rainfall is also a good time to be there. As cutthroat22 pointed out, invest a day of hiking around the area to discover potential spots you can get to them quickly when you decide to go fishing there at first light. April and May are months when you will start seeing some fish in the river, but June and July are usually most productive, depending on water level and the amount of fish returning of course.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »

Just tossing spoons and blades will catch you fish, just important to time your outing with the tide that the fish come in with. The fresher fish will be more aggressive than stale fish that have seen plenty of presentations. In the summer, fly fishing is your best bet with the low conditions. These coho like fast stripped leaches and streamers and will often chase your fly in a group, often they will turn away at the last second, making it frustrating at times. First and last light will produce best most of the time.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:45:13 PM by BCfisherman97 »

colin6101

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »

Hiking around is a good idea. Finding a few different spots is a good idea so that if you get there and the popular spots are crowded you have backup spots in your mind. Be careful on this river though, water levels can change drastically without warning so always have an escape plan if you are wading and never put yourself in a vulnerable position. During low water conditions you can always try down at the mouth as well, coho will sometimes stack up waiting for the water levels in the river to rise.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 12:41:15 PM »

You can use the tide table to fish the Cap in the lower section from Park Royal to around the H1 bridge. Rising tide will bring in some fish. A mid night to dusk high tide can mean good fishing at some of the lower river runs and pools at first light. Roe is the best but lure works too. Be aware of the regulation when roe is banned in August. Fly fishing the upper pools can be very productive especially during lower water period. I find a small olive green nymph fly stripped at high speed quite effective. Quick sink line is better than floating. Good luck with your Cap adventure.

jacklam999

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »

thanks, do you think a 6wt fly rod will be enough to handle these fishes. Thanks