Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Struble skeleton reel seat  (Read 5129 times)

joshhowat

Struble skeleton reel seat
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:03:18 PM »

Hi guys

I'm building a 3113 lb and I want to use a Struble skeleton reel seat. Only thing is I don't know what model I need and where to find one. The reel I will be using is a milner.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Josh
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Struble skeleton reel seat
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »

Struble has discontinued manufacturing reel seats but there may still be some available.
Talk to Andy @ http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com/Struble%20fly%20reel%20seats.pdf

Pin-nook

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »

I was thinking of Struble or W Fitting for my 3113LB before I had it built but given that I would want this rod  to last a long time and seen the wear on the cork on used old rods I changed my mind last minute.  My builder was happy to build it any way but was my deciding factor for not going with either one in the end.  I am more than happy with the final result but ended up taking my Brown 3016LB in to change handle to W Fitting.  Really think it over before you decide because I was really pushing for Struble and now very happy I didn't but everyone does have their own preference.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »

I was thinking of Struble or W Fitting for my 3113LB before I had it built but given that I would want this rod  to last a long time and seen the wear on the cork on used old rods I changed my mind last minute.  My builder was happy to build it any way but was my deciding factor for not going with either one in the end.  I am more than happy with the final result but ended up taking my Brown 3016LB in to change handle to W Fitting.  Really think it over before you decide because I was really pushing for Struble and now very happy I didn't but everyone does have their own preference.

That is why you use burl in the struble skeleton reel seats as burl lasts a very long time and can take way more abuse than regular cork.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Pin-nook

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:56:28 PM »

That is why you use burl in the struble skeleton reel seats as burl lasts a very long time and can take way more abuse than regular cork.

Of course....but that's exactly what I saw and what my builder pointed out! I am also glad I opted for something else because the rod felt great and does it ever look clean. I've seen a bunch of Sage builds the last couple years from known local builders but I can honestly say the my guy builds the cleanest rods around. From cork matching(no filler) to wraps, the finished product looked like it came out of a factory only custom built to your specs. I can't wait till I get my brown 3106LB back because I know the W Fitting is done better than most.