Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gravlax  (Read 7448 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Gravlax
« on: February 21, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »

We tried Gravlax from last fall's coho salmon. It turned out very good. :)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/fish_recipes/gravlax.html

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: Gravlax
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »

That looks yummy!
How many days did you cure it?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »

Tastes yummy too. ;) I cured mine for two days. Next time I'm not going to cure it as long. I'm also going to add a little less salt and more sugar next time. Now I just need to catch another fish to make it.... :-\

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »

I also made gravlax with a steelhead I caught earlier this month and it was very good.
It reminded me of gravlax made from wild Atlantic salmon when I was young.
I cured mine for 2 days and made it in traditional Scandinavian style using only salt, sugar, pepper and dill.
As I couldn't catch another hatchery, I went out and bought some sockeye to make some more.
However, it didn't taste as good as the one I made from steelhead.
Maybe less fat content might have been the reason.
It still tasted very good and made a good family meal. :)

Mr Z

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »

Did my first gravlax test tonight. It turns out a bit too salty ad dry. I used a piece of sashimi I had left over after making sushi. I think the fish was a bit too thin and I cured for a bit too long, 2 1/2 days.

Next time ill keep time and thickness of the fish in check

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:17:48 AM »

For one inch thick fillets (skin on) I cure for 3~4 days depending on how firm I want the texture to be. I made some recently with summer cohos and they were delicious.  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »

Animal Chin

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 10:59:48 PM »

Oh OK I see. Great video, I've been adding the mix to both sides of the filet. Maybe that's why it's so salty. You also use a lot less mix than I do. Still really good, my friends love it but your video helps.

Also the texture of the gravlax in the photo above (drier with a nice white finish) and in your video (like cold smoked lox) is very different. Did you just air dry it longer for the sample in the photo. The gravlax you made in the video looks awesome too..with some sliced red onion, some capers, dollop of cream cheese, a lemon wedge and a hardboiled egg, it'd be a perfect breakfast.

Between gravlax and indian candy, I'm going through fish at an astounding rate... this stuff is perfect as a snack while you're fishing in the cold..especially with some soda crackers.   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »

Oh OK I see. Great video, I've been adding the mix to both sides of the filet. Maybe that's why it's so salty. You also use a lot less mix than I do. Still really good, my friends love it but your video helps.

Also the texture of the gravlax in the photo above (drier with a nice white finish) and in your video (like cold smoked lox) is very different. Did you just air dry it longer for the sample in the photo. The gravlax you made in the video looks awesome too..with some sliced red onion, some capers, dollop of cream cheese, a lemon wedge and a hardboiled egg, it'd be a perfect breakfast.

Between gravlax and indian candy, I'm going through fish at an astounding rate... this stuff is perfect as a snack while you're fishing in the cold..especially with some soda crackers.

Thanks, the photo above was from the second batch I made earlier this year, which was left in the fridge for one extra day than these ones in the video, so they were drier. I was really happy with this batch I made in the video. I added a bit less salt than the previous batch, and the two night curing time seemed to be just right.

Animal Chin

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »

Sweet, got a filet defrosting right now. I'm going to follow the method in your video exactly. Looks identical to cold lox, which I love but don't have the equipment to make.

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »

Followed the video, this is my second batch and both were absolutely delicious. A very fresh and clean taste. Putting the cure only on one side leaves it not salty at all. Firmer than sashimi but somewhat similiar.

Though I will also make batches like a did before with cure on both sides (lot more of it) and let it dry in refrigerator for few days, as well as adding lots of dill and more pepper, after the rinse. It forms a nice herb crust and comes out a nice translucent orange/red. It is a lot drier and much saltier, almost like prosciutto. Great in salads and pasta. 

Thanks for recipe and video dude. My friends thank you too.

Breakfast of champions:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:29:10 PM by Animal Chin »