Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser May 26th  (Read 6482 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser May 26th
« on: May 26, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »

Finally we hit the right tide this morning for a couple hours of bull trout fishing. The tide a few days ago was a bit too early for me. Chrome Mykiss was able to land one fish that was between 4 and 5lb on Monday, and apparently the bites were non-stop.

The high tide at 9am was a low one. In fact it didn't really rise at all since the flood tide before that around midnight. The water was already 2 feet lower than what I was hoping for when we arrived. It didn't really matter, because I've had spectacular dolly days when the tides were identical to this one.

The first 30 minutes were rather quiet, not much action at all except the odd small nibbles and the small northern pikeminnow that I landed. That soon changed, as I first missed one huge hit when I was doing Nina's bait. The rod basically hopped around on the ground by itself. :o After that, it was hit and miss for about 5 more casts. The five fish that I missed were rather big. The bites were not really bites, but more of a sudden huge tug that could easily pull the rod out of my hand. Very frustrating indeed. After donating a whole bunch of roe into the water, I finally landed two small to medium size fish. Soon after that, Nina got into a much bigger fish but it came off after a minute or so. ::)

Here are some action shots.

We fished from 10am to 12:30pm when the bites died off. Between 10:30am and 11:30am, the bite was really on. Water clarity is still improving. If water was higher today, I would have been spinning for sure. Still another week or so before this is all over.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
Re:Lower Fraser May 27th
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 03:17:40 PM »

Can I use the roe they sell at mohawk?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 03:26:55 PM »

Re: What roe to use?

Any roe will do, but freshly cured or well prepared roe is best of course. The last couple of weeks I've actually experimented with several different roe textures and colours. The brightly coloured (Procured double red hot) worked very well today. Soft roe got us into fish right away, whereas the drier roe took longer to set the hook but they stayed on the hook better.

Re: Max's question.

I said another week or two because the coarse fish like pikeminnow and sculpins are starting to be active now and are stealing the bait constantly. This will only get worse once you get into June and July. Every year the bull trout always show up at the same time, it coincides with the time when smolts are moving down the river. Starting the end of April until last weekend of May is usually the season for me.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 04:03:48 PM »

Nice fish Rodney!!!

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 04:48:04 PM »

nice fish.Must be crappy fishing from the rip rap.I prefer the lawn chair,a cooler to rest the rod on and the truck behind me playin some Hank.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 04:49:49 PM »

You know where we were fishing Leady. 8) We were sitting on our chairs at the top of the rip rap. :) I would only go down there when there was a fish on. ;D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 04:49:58 PM »

nice fish.Must be crappy fishing from the rip rap.I prefer the lawn chair,a cooler to rest the rod on and the truck behind me playin some Hank.
Ya, he fishes there cuz like you said if he comes to secret spot #211 he's afraid to get shown up!!

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 04:53:47 PM »

right next to the road? is'nt that kinda scary?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 05:11:05 PM »

Extreme fishing, Vancouver style.  8)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 05:14:27 PM »

Ya, he fishes there cuz like you said if he comes to secret spot #211 he's afraid to get shown up!!

mostly I just go fishing to relax(unless Don is there) in the great outdoors, fortunately I live in the right place.The only way ya'll could show me up is a more scenic,quieter, more rivers kind of place.
good luck.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 04:34:11 PM by leadbelly »

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 05:52:29 PM »

I will probably give foreshore park a try tommorow morning.  I don't know how the tide will be tommorow, but will give it a go ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 11:27:59 PM »

Ya, peace and scenic is nice too. :) We always fish that other particular spot so often because it is just so productive. The cars do worry me at times, especially the trucks. The other spots where we head to are usually very peaceful. I still want to take the flyer out around Steveston and spincast when the water gets a bit clearer.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re:Lower Fraser May 26th
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 11:45:07 AM »

hey rod....you think those big takes you lost could have been springs on their way up??? is the brownsville bar under the pattullo bridge any good for these bull trout?...just wondering if i should give it a go. :D thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 04:06:16 PM »

Most likely not springs. We were using pretty light tackle to begin with, so any medium sized fish could easily pull the rod down like that. Also, the area where we fished was fairly shallow (4 - 6 feet), not preferred by the really big fish.

You can probably catch them at Brownsville too, anywhere really.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 04:13:58 PM »

Speaking of the Brownsville Bar, I've seen people fish that bar in the middle of the night during the fall salmon season. Do they catch fish at night ?