Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saltwater set up  (Read 1992 times)

Lyall

Saltwater set up
« on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:34 PM »

I'm interested in doing some saltwater fly fishing this summer and want to get some opinions on an optimal set-up. I've done some estuary fishing and really enjoyed it, would like to get into the saltwater side a bit more. Will be targeting pinks, coho, and cutthroats, from shore or from a small boat. I'm thinking either a 7wt or 8wt, 9ft? Maybe 9'6?Recommended rods and lines? Probably will be using a intermediate sink tip set-up but would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance.

SteelheadAdict

Re: Saltwater set up
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:23:02 AM »

For coho and pink i use a 7 or 8 weight sage vxp and for cuthroat a 5 weight  it just fine the rio salwater lunes are great for pinks and coho for the cuthroat i use. A cortland shakskin line for the reels i like the hatch reels or hardy if u buy a freshwater reel and want to use it for salt mke shuer u wash it relly well if sage isnt in your price range tfo makes fntastic rods and they have life time watenty i like the lefty fork sereis rods but i would sugest a 8!weightnfor pinks and coho and a 5 weight for cu throat