Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoked salmon pasta  (Read 6767 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Smoked salmon pasta
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »

My family quite likes my smoked salmon pasta; usually there is a fight between my son and I who gets to take the leftovers the next day. :) Very simple to make.

One serving of the white sauce (bechamel) is 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour and 1 cup milk. Multiply the ingredients by the number of people you are serving (i.e. for my family of 4, the ratio is 8,8,4)    

Make a garlic roux (melted butter and flour) by sauteeing several cloves of crushed garlic as you melt the butter and before you add the flour. After you add the milk and just when it starts to thicken , add a generous helping of smoked salmon (I use smoke trout too) in chunks and flakes. As you stir the thickening white sauce, the wonderful smokiness of the fish will infuse the sauce and it takes on a pink hue.

Spoon over your favourite pasta (I prefer penne) and enjoy!    

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:32:59 PM by clarki »

DRP79

Re: Smoked salmon pasta
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »

Ill have to try this one out. I make one as well with a sauce of cream cheese, a little cream, fresh dill and capers with smoked salmon. Penne is also my choice of pasta.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »

i tried it tonight and man oh man u are my hero lol my mom hatse fish and i made it for now she cant get enough thanks for making a tenagers life a whole lot easeyer lol

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »

i tried it tonight and man oh man u are my hero lol my mom hatse fish and i made it for now she cant get enough thanks for making a tenagers life a whole lot easeyer lol
You are welcome. I made a batch last week with smoked pink that I had vacuum packed from 2011. The kids and my wife raved about it, and then devoured it. No leftovers!  :( :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:18:29 AM by clarki »

Animal Chin

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:29:05 AM »

Tried this recipe with some smoked pink salmon, it was excellent. I used a bit less flour, and a bit more butter..but pretty much the same. Wish I had more fish to smoke. Tastes a lot like carbonnara and very good for people who "don't eat fish".

I prefer linguini or fettucini.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:31:25 AM by Animal Chin »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »

Made a Fetuccini with some of the leftover smoked Turkey and it was very good as well.
Have some candied backbones that I will scrape the meat from and use in a pasta and other things.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »

Have some candied backbones that I will scrape the meat from and use in a pasta and other things.

So after you fillet/prepare the fish for smoking, you also brine and smoke the backbone? Interesting. I like it...

Animal Chin

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:55 AM »

So after you fillet/prepare the fish for smoking, you also brine and smoke the backbone? Interesting. I like it...

Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to give it a try as well. I used to save my backbones and make fish cakes using this recipe:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=28850.0

Though I'm desperate for smoked salmon with only one chum left in the freezer

smallmouth829

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »

Ah, sounds like a good recipe. I may try that out sometime soon. Thanks  ;)