Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Center pin reel damaged  (Read 8339 times)

kosanin kosher salt

Center pin reel damaged
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »

I'm currently using my friends centerline reel , I just want the feel of the centerpin first before buying one .
To cut things short the reel dropped from those stupid sliding rings and hit the pavement road I was walking on . I noticed right away the reel was damaged after my first cast since the spin was not true and became stiff , however it did get better throughout the day . But there is the obvious damaged still there and now a couple small dents/scratches . It's my friends reel and I need to get the true spin back 100% , is it possible to fix it ? Does anyone know someone ? The costs ?  Im pretty sure mikes reel repair does bait casters/ and such but not center pins although I'll phone in the very near future 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Center pin reel damaged
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »

What reel is it?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:02:32 PM »

If it's a cheapo reel like an Aventa or Winter Run it would probably be best to cough up the cash for a new reel for your buddy. If its a higher end like a Milner, King Pin or other it would be cheaper to pay the repair bill. However I would say it's up to your friend to decide if he wants it repaired or replaced. To have the knicks and dents smoothed out will ruin the anodizing and will never be able to be fixed like it was before. Have you told your buddy yet? lol
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:32 PM »

I haven't told him yet , because it just happened today  . He told me the reel was made by someone small from around here in lower mainland hence no brand . The quality of the reel is just too good , also mentioned he paid the guy something  like $700 or more for it .
He has  one more reel and won't be asking this one back for a little while , he takes too much pride in his reels he put this coat of arms on the reel with his name engraved on it , and took immaculate care of the darn thing . (he even said return it back without a scratch )
Oh man I'm in way over my head on this one
Thanks people !

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 12:08:50 AM »

If I was your buddy I would be P'd right off if you didn't tell me about it and just tried to get it fixed. The right thing to do is fess up and tell him you will cover repairs or replacement, not much else can be done...

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »

That's why you have a case on all your salmon reels the minute you stop fishing. I agree, just tell him, much better to be upfront with it than to hide something.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 01:03:23 AM »

I haven't told him yet , because it just happened today  . He told me the reel was made by someone small from around here in lower mainland hence no brand . The quality of the reel is just too good , also mentioned he paid the guy something  like $700 or more for it .
He has  one more reel and won't be asking this one back for a little while , he takes too much pride in his reels he put this coat of arms on the reel with his name engraved on it , and took immaculate care of the darn thing . (he even said return it back without a scratch )
Oh man I'm in way over my head on this one
Thanks people !

In that case I'd fake my own death, or stage a robbery... ::) Or you could just level with the guy, you said he was your friend right?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 01:05:57 AM »

How about some carnage pics of the reel, we could at least ID the make & model then as well.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 01:12:46 AM »

Outch.... hopefully it is not one of those rare reels that are near impossible to replace.

paul1971

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 05:52:36 AM »

Neoprene reel case for $15 and peace of mind is priceless.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »

jerry wong is in vancouver and fixes old reels.

brownmancheng

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 11:18:55 AM »

Step 1. Tell your friend ask him if he would like it repaired and by who.
Step 2. Do step one

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leIN05jI1Gg&feature=youtu.be

this is a 40 second video of the reel . after just playing around with it and letting the thing spin for 15 minutes it seems back in orignal spinning shape . but still on the river line wouldnt go out on the lightest current which it always has until now . maybe im  just over exaggerating a bit too much . the small dents and scratches you cant see anyways too small and poor quality video from an iphone . does anybody know the make of the reel ?

carnage pics lol ! sorry if i made it sound like the thing was busted i just take better care of other peoples things than mine
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:47:30 PM by kosanin kosher salt »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »

hopefully your friend isn't a FWR forum member  :D