Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe Flies  (Read 6954 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Roe Flies
« on: December 23, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »

Hey guys... pictures in the other thread died, so I'm just starting a new one up (Rod feel free to delete the old threads).

Roe Flies are a fly designed by myself as a roe imitation that incorporates lots of movement and a jig like motion. At times the fish can't stay off these, and I have already this year (2012) had a hand full of days on the flow where they out-fished bait and anything else that we threw at the steelhead that were kicking around. Besides hitting both winter and summer run steelhead very well, they also hit a variety of other fish including: Whitefish, Bull Trout, Cutthroat, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Coho, Chum and Chinook. These are PERFECT for bait ban flows!

* Unfortunately peachy pink is no longer available, these are the different replacements:

Shrimpy Pink

Creamy Pink

Peachy Orange

A comparison of 1. Shrimpy Pink 2. Peachy Orange 3. Creamy Pink and 4. Peachy Pink

I can do up almost any colour combo you want, feel free to ask. If I don't have the fur colour, chances are I can go buy it.
I tie the flies up in 3 sizes, in either scented or unscented - make sure you specify what you need for where you are fishing:

- 1/0 hook with 5 eggs (Large)
- 1 or 2 hook with 3 eggs (Medium)
- 4 hook with 2 eggs (Small)

As said, I can do almost any colour combo you want for the flies... feel free to ask. These are a couple of the combo's I have done already:

The original 4 - all 1/0 size (large) - half scented and half unscented (one of each in white fur and one of each with peachy pink fur):

Unscented 10 pack - 5 size 1 (medium), 5 size 1/0 (large):

And a 20 pack - all size 1/0 (large) - 12 Unscented, 10 Scented:

Other pictures of colour combo's can be seen here:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=85b40cd5658860a6#cid=85B40CD5658860A6&id=85B40CD5658860A6%21235

And of course we need some pictures showing they work:

Summer run on unscented

Vedder buck on scented white and orange - my fav

And another on that colour combo...

If you would like to order some, email me at....
steelheadfishing@hotmail.com
Payment can either be done through online banking, paypal, or mailed cheque (or I can meet you in person for cash/cheque if I am nearby).
Flies are $2 a piece, shipping is $3 within Canada.

Good luck in the upcoming steelhead season, and tight lines!
Dan
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:03:38 PM by Every Day »

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Roe Flies
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 02:56:41 PM »

Hey guys, have gotten a few PM's.
If you want to place orders, make sure you send them to steelheadfishing@hotmail.com if you want to make sure I get them right away.

At this point if you shoot me an email with what you want exactly, chances are I can have it tied in a day (unless it's huge).

Have a Merry Christmas and a great New Years!

Cheers,
Dan
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:51:31 PM by Every Day »

chromeo

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 04:26:42 PM »

are those eggs soft or hard?  I am interested where you located?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »

Soft eggs... fish will come back if you miss them on these so they must feel natural enough...
I'm in Chilliwack up until the 6th of January, then back in Nanaimo after that.

Cheers,
Dan

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

Couple other combo's to make it easier for you guys when ordering....

Scented 10 pack - 5 size 1 (medium size) and 5 size 1/0 (large size).

20 Pack combo (big variety pack)... 10 size 1/0 (large), 10 size 1 (medium)... Half are scented, half are unscented!

Order are coming in fast and furious, so may not be able to fill them as quickly as before at this point.
Also starting to run low on some things, but will be re-stocked on Saturday!

Thanks for the orders, and have a Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Dan

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »

Thanks again and nice looking roe flies :)

brownmancheng

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »

Hey Dan
I ordered some of these off you last year. Although I was unable to connect while using they sure look tasty. (Not taking anything away from these. Largely inexperience to blame)

Approximately when could I expect to receive these? Heading to stamp second weekend of January and would love to have these in arsenal
Thanks in advance.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:23:51 AM »

Approximately when could I expect to receive these? Heading to stamp second weekend of January and would love to have these in arsenal
Thanks in advance.

Have you shot an email to me yet for an order?
If you place an order it will most likely be done by the weekend (can also pick up from me on the way through Nanaimo if you want).

Cheers,
Dan

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »

Received my roeflies today.
Very nice looking and cant wait to try them out.
Daniel is fast and a pleasure to deal with.
Thank you.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »

Hey Dan let me know when your heading back into town as i'd like more of them wicked flies...... ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »

Hey Dan let me know when your heading back into town as i'd like more of them wicked flies...... ;D

I am back February ~23 to March 2nd for spring break.
I am also able to ship flies as needed.

Glad you like the flies!

dave c

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:43 PM »

would love the recipe

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »

would love the recipe

As would lots of people  ;)
Seems a lot of people have figured it out and are tying them now though... and selling them.

No biggy though, all of the others I have seen selling have problems with their eggs falling off, which I have't had happen yet even with the spey casting!
That and... the material cost of the flies almost isn't worth selling, so I'm assuming others will taper off any ways  ;D

dave c

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »

As would lots of people  ;)
Seems a lot of people have figured it out and are tying them now though... and selling them.

No biggy though, all of the others I have seen selling have problems with their eggs falling off, which I have't had happen yet even with the spey casting!
That and... the material cost of the flies almost isn't worth selling, so I'm assuming others will taper off any ways  ;D
No matter got it figured out.  picked up a beauty 16lb hatch buck today with it. Easy to tie.  Thanks for the idea.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 11:57:48 PM »

Hey guys.

First of all... the peachy pink fur you see in the combo pics is no longer available. It seems to have completely disappeared from every shop that use to carry it. Not sure if it is just the manufacturer messing up on the colours and having a bad batch, or if it is gone for good. I have something very close called fleshy pink (just kind of a lighter peach colour). I also have a peachy orange and a shrimpy pink sub as well. Will post pics of these in the next couple days.

Lastly, if you want to cut out on shipping, I will be on the mainland this upcoming week (Feb 23 until around March 4th at this piont). I am thinking I'll bring my tying materials back so if you shoot me an order by the 27th I can get it done for you!

Cheers, and thanks for the steady orders!
Dan