Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Supreme Court refuses to hear appeal of B.C.’s non-native salmon fishermen  (Read 5748 times)

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website

Supreme Court refuses to hear appeal of B.C.’s non-native salmon fishermen

BY CHRISTIE BLATCHFORD, POSTMEDIA NEWS DECEMBER 21, 2012

For two decades, ever since the introduction to the salmon fishery on British Columbia’s Fraser River of something called the Aboriginal Fisheries Strategy, or AFS, this splendid man and his fellow non-native fishermen have been fighting a losing battle for fairness.

Cut to the short strokes, the issue is this: For years, the non-native fishermen (an ethnically diverse group, by the way) obediently tied up their boats while aboriginals were allowed to catch fish for their so-called Food, Social and Ceremonial (FSC) fishery.

Everyone on the dock knew the FSC fishery was a sham, because by expert reckoning even the courts acknowledge more than 90 per cent of the fish was feeding neither aboriginal families nor cultural ritual, but rather was being illegally sold.

But senior officials at the federal fisheries department (then and now and forever more known as the DFO though its name has changed) called off its fishery officers and ordered them not to charge aboriginal poachers — not to enforce the law evenly, in other words.

In 2001-02, Eidsvik et al. challenged the scheme by holding a token “protest fishery,” the goal to force DFO to charge everyone, and, when predictably it didn’t, to argue that their rights to equal treatment under the law were being breached.

“We always expect to lose,” he said.

Yet Eidsvek is fundamentally an optimist, and a few words in every previous decision — the courts would rule against him but usually find real merit in the argument —  would set his heart to racing.

This was particularly true at the B.C. Court of Appeal, where, he wrote me with trademark humour afterwards, the court “had a much better grasp of the principles at stake than the courts below despite only having this matter in front of them for just a couple of hours… Strange that despite our long string of losses for reasons which are blatantly wrong, I have more respect for the courts today than I did when we started this 20 years ago — I must be psychologically damaged or awed by pomp and circumstance.”

As recently as last week, he sent me a cheerful email, excited because the clerk in Ottawa who phoned to tell him when the SCC decision was coming down “sounded upbeat, like he was bringing me good news.” Even as he wrote that, he tried to quash the hope that rose in his throat: “I tend to read too much into signs,” he said. “He (the clerk) probably does not even know what the ruling is, and the good news is that a ruling is due.”

Now, near as he can tell, Eidsvek and his fellow fishermen are out of options.

They’ve launched orderly protests — this is called civil disobedience, when groups the government regards with approval do it.

For these actions, they were charged and convicted of Fisheries Act offences.

They appealed those convictions to B.C.’s high court and finally to the Supreme Court, losing every time though virtually every court but the last one has agreed with them that the “DFO has permitted and is permitting what amounts to a commercial fishery by aboriginal groups and persons” and with experts who say that this has been a “significant contributing factor” to the province’s so-called “missing” salmon.

They have testified in courts, told their stories to anyone who would listen, and often with Eidsvik — who is not a lawyer but could pass for one now, albeit as an unusually humble specimen — in the lead, submitted smart, respectful and cogent legal briefs.

Some of their number, the indefatigable Eidsvik key among them, even sat in and suffered the interminable hearings of the Cohen Commission of Inquiry in Vancouver, the first full-blown federal inquiry into the missing fish.

This commission produced its final report in the fall of last year, spending $26-million in the process and barely acknowledging the failures of the DFO to enforce the rules evenly.

Like the non-natives in Caledonia, Ont., who to this day find themselves being arrested by the Ontario Provincial Police while attempting to walk on the former housing development that was the site of the often violent aboriginal occupation of 2006 when native lawlessness was tolerated, B.C.’s non-native fishermen, and the rule of law, are firmly under the bus.

The real test for the courts was and is whether race-based policing and enforcement, on land or at sea, brings the administration of justice into disrepute. It did, and it does, but as Eidsvik says, “No one wants to bell the cat,” certainly not government, and now, we know, not the courts.

The Supreme Court case that got all the attention was the so-called “niqab” case, involving the Muslim woman who wanted to wear her face veil while testifying.

The end of Eidsvik’s long battle deserved attention, and he Canadians’ thanks. What he and the rest of them got, from their unique vantage point flat on their backs on the road, was the sight of the wheels of the bus passing over them again, one last time.

Fillibert

Wikipedia - Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior

I think this would qualify. Just because they are of a different race they have extra rights

dave c

The aboriginal's arguement has always been that fishing is a part of their heritage and because of that it shouldn't be taken away.  I wish the gov't would grant them the right to fish as their ancestors did, that being with dugout cedar canoes, carved paddles and nets woven with cedar bark.  Make them work for it like their ancestors did.  No whiteman made boats, motors, nets, gasoline etc.  Oh yeah while I'm at it,  can't use a white man made chain saw to fall the tree,  or white man tools to make their nets.  If they want to do it like their ancestors have at it boys.

Dave

• Old Timer

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but lets put some perspective on your thoughts ... today's FN ancestors did not have to deal with the greed and fish habitat destruction of the Europeans and others (they turned into us, btw) and salmon, sturgeon, shellfish, halibut, etc populations were unlike anything white men have seen, or ever will. Think hundreds of millions of fish annually to the Fraser and Columbia River's alone.
Sure they worked at it because if they didn`t they would die.  Most fishing was done on streams with weirs to trap migrating spawners or juveniles ... not sure that strategy would work so well today but it is being tested on a few interior streams when projected escapements (that is, after commercial, sporties and lower river FN bands harvests) allow.
Very rarely are there enough fish for FN to exercise their true ancestral rights and imo they have every right to be pissed about that.

Having said that I have worked with and respect Phil.  He fought a good fight but the outcome was again, imo, inevitable and correct.

hotrod

The key words IMO are "rule of law" to understand that and what it intailes is the key to why he was denied. In fact it was the "rule law" that prevailed

hotrod
[UCC 1-207.]

azafai

Wikipedia - Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior

I think this would qualify. Just because they are of a different race they have extra rights

NO, it is not because of that.  They lost a lot and what they become in return is just nothing.

Fillibert

They didn't REALLY lose anything, their ancestors did yes, but that was a long time ago. Today's FN are born in the same conditions as the rest of us (and better because a lot of Canadians are immigrants), benefiting from the tech that unfortunately wiped out the fish habitats.

An example is if you lose money on the stock exchange and the guy who buys it makes a fortune. Can your grand grand grand grand children go to his grand grand grand grand children and demand money and support?

How many of the FN fishing the rivers volunteer to rebuild the ecosystem. That was the mentality of the REAL FN way back when, not just take but take care of nature.

Chehalis_Steel

First Nations getting away with illegally selling fish is really just another way the DFO are showing how useless they are at enforcing regulations. This is the same reason we see the pathetic snagging on the Vedder every year. If the government actually gave the DFO enough resources maybe we would start seeing some change.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer

The aboriginal's arguement has always been that fishing is a part of their heritage and because of that it shouldn't be taken away.  I wish the gov't would grant them the right to fish as their ancestors did, that being with dugout cedar canoes, carved paddles and nets woven with cedar bark.  Make them work for it like their ancestors did.  No whiteman made boats, motors, nets, gasoline etc.  Oh yeah while I'm at it,  can't use a white man made chain saw to fall the tree,  or white man tools to make their nets.  If they want to do it like their ancestors have at it boys.

Hmmm....good idea...but to make it fair like you seem to want it then the white man of today should fish like the white man back in the past - like their ancestors did.  You know....do away with the fancy sonar equipment, jet boats, and propeller boats.  Did the white man of the past always use gasoline to power his boats or did he paddle also?  Didn't the white man of the past use an axe before he advanced to using a chainsaw to fall trees in massive quantities?  Whatever happened to some of those salmon bearing streams anyway?  Parking lots?  Shopping malls?  Ummmm...Greater Vancouver?  Oh yeah while I'm at it maybe white man of today should do without the advancements made in angling equipment or do you figure that is off limits?  Don't you like fairness now?

Hmmm...who encouraged the BC aboriginals from the past to abandon their traditional ways of fishing (i.e. like weirs) anyway?.....Could it have been the white man canneries in the past? 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

Comparing the methods the FN use versus what the white man use is one of those red herring arguments that make no sense. If the white man was catching salmon today for food and ceremonial purposes then the argument may have a little merit..... however only the FN are being allowed to apply "traditional lifestyle" to catching salmon for food and ceremonial purposes using modern equipment.

The point being made is the FN of yesterday was able to catch enough fish for his food and ceremonial needs using traditional methods. Today using modern technology they are catching vast numbers that are surplus to their needs and these are being sold. (A few years ago the Tswassen band caught more than 500 salmon for each man woman and child, supposedly used for food and ceremonial purposes)

Everyone knows that this is a commercial venture, everyone knows it is illegal and promotes the fact there are different standards of law that are being applied for FN versus the white man.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer

Wow, close to agreeing with you af. ???
 I've had the opportunity to work with representatives of most FN Bands, Councils or Tribal organizations throughout the Fraser River watershed.  My observation is the further upstream FN bands are situated, the more respect salmon are shown ... traditionally, ethically, and culturally.  The end result of salmon catches from First Nation salmon fishers upstream of say Boston Bar or Lytton should not be compared to the lower river bands as fish caught by upper river fishers are most often always used and not sold.   I've watched old women fishing at Tachie on Stuart Lake and Chilcotin elders dip-netting at Farwell Canyon ... these fish were and are a part of them and to take that away is again, IMO, totally wrong.
 Where FN fisheries are a problem is on the lower Fraser, where salmon are considered money and no longer really culturally important to a growing segment of the present FN population.  To the Sto-Lo Tribal Council and the Sto-Lo Nation governments now controlling FN fisheries below Sawmill Creek  ... get over your obsessive greed and think of future fish (especially early run sockeye and chinook) and most importantly think of the people upstream who suffer from all the lower river and approach areas harvests.   

Dave, dreaming.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

Wow, close to agreeing with you af. ???

If it makes it easier for you to bear.....  I've almost agreed with you a couple of times as well.   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer

;)  I know

dnibbles

Hug it out boys.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer

Comparing the methods the FN use versus what the white man use is one of those red herring arguments that make no sense. If the white man was catching salmon today for food and ceremonial purposes then the argument may have a little merit..... however only the FN are being allowed to apply "traditional lifestyle" to catching salmon for food and ceremonial purposes using modern equipment.

The point being made is the FN of yesterday was able to catch enough fish for his food and ceremonial needs using traditional methods. Today using modern technology they are catching vast numbers that are surplus to their needs and these are being sold. (A few years ago the Tswassen band caught more than 500 salmon for each man woman and child, supposedly used for food and ceremonial purposes)

Everyone knows that this is a commercial venture, everyone knows it is illegal and promotes the fact there are different standards of law that are being applied for FN versus the white man.
Fighting SFC fisheries like this is useless because particular methods are not the problem.  The issue is mixture of a lack of enforcement, government inaction on treaties, politics, bands with different outlooks at different ends of the Fraser (as Dave eluded to)  and court decisions – not the methods used (i.e. whether they use a gillnet made of nylon vs. a net made of bark).  If anything, many FN fisheries use much more selective methods than most non-aboriginal commercial fisheries.  As Dave also alluded to there are FN bands along the Fraser that utilize dip-netting in parts of the Fraser.  They also utilize weirs in some parts.  In Stellako, FN operate a fish enumeration fence where they harvest Sockeye also (recent high water years have impacted fence installation).  The FN fisheries further up the Fraser (Chilko, Tachie, Nechako) are much more terminal than Lower Fraser FN fisheries meaning that catching mixed stocks is likely much more reduced.  For your information, Upper Fraser FN have been practicing conservation for some time now – which is easy to do when there is hardly anything to catch further upstream.  Ask any FN elder in Tachie how many Sockeye they have caught in the last 4 years.  I can tell you it is not “vast numbers”.  In my opinion, the problem is in the Lower Fraser where the cultural significance seems to be conflicting with the monetary aspect.  Respect for the resource by the younger generation may not be as solid.  Unfortunately, the general public automatically believe this is how all FN operate when they see what happens in the Lower Fraser, but it is wrong to lump all FN bands along the Fraser together.  Lastly, Fishery Officers are in a tight bind because it is not just a simple lack of enforcement on their part.  Talk to them sometime.  

The important thing to note is that SFC fisheries do not specify that FN in this province have to apply “traditional lifestyle” in the form of cedar dugout canoes, carved paddles, nets woven out of cedar bark – nor should they.  That is plain silly and should not be the focus.  If FN use salmon for food, social and ceremonial purposes it does not mean that they are relegated to using methods they used in the past.  Those same cultural traditions are carried out today by FN – not just in the past.  Why can’t FN use a gillnet net made out of nylon with a mesh size that captures larger Chinook Salmon, but allows smaller Sockeye Salmon to pass through?    Although they are demonstration commercial fisheries conducted by FN, PICFI fisheries in the BC Interior utilize these selective methods already in terminal fisheries already.  In contrast, conventional non-aboriginal commercial fisheries conducted in the Lower Fraser and near the mouth of the Fraser over the last 100 years have used advances in technology on mixed-stock fisheries catching “vast numbers”.  You want to talk about modern technology catching vast numbers?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:08:12 PM by shuswapsteve »