Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Wolf Cull  (Read 3611 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
BC Wolf Cull
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/11/14/bc-wolf-management-plan.html

Just thought I'd see what the others' thoughts are before posting my own...

Cheers,
Nog

Nucks

Re: BC Wolf Cull
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

I agree for the Interior for sure. No bout a doubt it! Can't say much for anywhere else though.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »

Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I can understand why people (ranchers, etc) want the wolves reduced/gone. on the other hand, if you let your cattle free-roam, well, nature takes its course  :-\ I have only ever seen wolves twice in the interior (both times along the coquihalla late/early in the morn). Very beautiful creatures. That being said... if they are to do a wolf cull, I hope they let trappers or the such do it, so that the furs are not wasted. Just my 3 cents.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »

Normally I'd say leave nature alone and let it take it's course, but since we've already messed with it, we need to try to manage it. It's unlikely we can reverse the way we have encroached on their territory. One of the problems with the wolves is the fact that they can find and run down wild life much easier today than they could even 20 years ago. Clearcut logging of not only regular forests but the more recent pine beetle logging of vast tracts of forests leave ungulates with less cover. Add to that logging roads and things like snowmobile trails in the winter, gives wolves a huge advantage. Of course the more successful they are in their hunts, the more they reproduce.

I question the numbers in the article that suggests that there are only 400 more wolves today than there were 20 years ago. It would be interesting to know what sort of surveys they took to come up with those numbers. If there were 8100 20 years ago, I would suggest there are at least double that number today...
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[