Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Return To Still Creek  (Read 3651 times)

DeeAngler

Re: Salmon Return To Still Creek
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:14:26 PM »

Hmmm ... nice pat on the back for Mr. Angelo and BCIT. ::)  I'm afraid to say the fish have been back not just this year.  :-[

Here's where allot of the workload comes from, in the re-birth of these urban waters.

http://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services/Policies--Projects---Initiatives/Environment/Green-Initiatives-and-Public-Education/Burnaby-Streamkeepers-Program.html?PageMode=Print
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:27:23 PM by DeeAngler »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »

This is quite amazing.
My office use to be in that area so I use to walk by that creek during lunch hour and it use to look really dirty.
They mush have cleaned it up.
Cheers to everyone who made it possible! :)

jon5hill

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »

This has little to do with Mr. Angelo, BCIT and the rivers center. The credit for this return should go to those groups working in the Brunette River watershed, such as the Sapperton Fish and Game Club (Elmer Rudolph), Stoney Creek Environment Committee (the late Jennifer Atchison). Major projects like the new Cariboo dam fishway courtesy of Metro Vancouver, and attempts from the DFO and others to reestablish a healthy chum population over 30+ years also contribute to this return.

purpleperil

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »

The first thing I inoticed in the picture of Still creek in the Province was the significant oil slick that was cllearly visible in the creek. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It's truly amazing that there is any life at all in a water course that flows through one of the most industrialized areas of the city.

bcguy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »

The first thing I inoticed in the picture of Still creek in the Province was the significant oil slick that was cllearly visible in the creek. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It's truly amazing that there is any life at all in a water course that flows through one of the most industrialized areas of the city.
Glad I wasnt the only one to notice that, but regardless, the health of the system must be improving, so kudos to all involved with the work restoring this system to the point where salmon are willing or attempting to reproduce!!
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Burbot

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »

I wonder how the illegal introduction of Bass into Deer lake will effect these runs now?  The Bass will make their way down from Deer Lake into Burnaby lake and just dine like crazy on the smolts etc.

All the work to bring Still Creek back (and the Brunnette for that matter) could be all for naught because of some selfish fools who illegally stock fish that do not belong here.