Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What????  (Read 6091 times)

hotrod

Re: What????
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »

For me, the key word is “authorized”.  If someone is a lawyer who knows this stuff perhaps they can explain further; however, from my understanding not anyone can make a 337 claim – unless they are authorized.  How can anyone be authorized?  That does not make sense to me.  That’s why I thought I would look into this.  If you read the Term of Reference from the Cohen Commission website it clearly states how the report gets passed along and to whom.

Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, hereby
a. pursuant to paragraph (b) of the definition “department” in section 2 of the Financial Administration Act, designates the Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River as a department for the purposes of that Act; and
b. pursuant to paragraph (b) of the definition “appropriate Minister” in section 2 of the Financial Administration Act, designates the Prime Minister as the appropriate Minister with respect to the Commission referred to in paragraph (a).]

Therefore, Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, hereby

a. directs that a Commission do issue under Part I of the Inquiries Act and under the Great Seal of Canada appointing the Honourable Bruce Cohen as Commissioner to conduct an inquiry into the decline of sockeye salmon in the Fraser River (the “Inquiry”), which Commission shall

xv. direct the Commissioner to submit, on or before October 29, 2010, an interim report, simultaneously in both official languages, to the Governor in Council, setting out the Commissioner’s preliminary views on, and assessment of, any previous examinations, investigations or reports that he deemed relevant to the Inquiry and the Government’s responses to those examinations, investigations and reports, (as replaced by Order in Council P.C. 2010-954 of July 23, 2010)
xvi. direct the Commissioner to submit, on or before October 29, 2012 (as replaced by Order in Council P.C. 2012-1132 of September 24, 2012), one or more reports, simultaneously in both official languages, to the Governor in Council, and
xvii. direct the Commissioner to deposit the records and papers of the Inquiry with the Clerk of the Privy Council as soon after the conclusion of the Inquiry as is reasonably possible

In addition, seeing as though Bruce Cohen is an actual judge I would expect him to realize what the law requires him to do under the circumstances he was under.  Honestly, I do not believe there was ever the intention to not release the report to the public considering the testimony that has been already available to the public on the commission website.  If it was (dumbest move by Harper), it would surely be leaked (as dnibbles stated).

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/Commissioner.php

So basically, you don't have to be a lawyer to make a 337 demand. If you are a card carrying canadian you can make the claim based on section 337 of the criminal code of canada. If the fail to deliver, then you file a criminal complaint against the alleged parties and let the investigation begin.
Further, the fact that he is a judge is a sure sign that he swears an oath and is in service of Her Majesty, just as all canadians are! Therefore, it stands to reason that the criminal code of Canada applies ! Unless ,of course, he is not Canadian!

hotrod
ucc 1-207

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: What????
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »

So basically, you don't have to be a lawyer to make a 337 demand. If you are a card carrying canadian you can make the claim based on section 337 of the criminal code of canada. If the fail to deliver, then you file a criminal complaint against the alleged parties and let the investigation begin.
Further, the fact that he is a judge is a sure sign that he swears an oath and is in service of Her Majesty, just as all canadians are! Therefore, it stands to reason that the criminal code of Canada applies ! Unless ,of course, he is not Canadian!
 hotrod
ucc 1-207
Perhaps you don't need to be a lawyer, but you need to be "authorized to demand it" according to the Section 337.  A "card carrying canadian" is not sufficient grounds to be deemed "authorized".  If that were the case my mother could come to my office and demand the data I am working on right now.  That makes absolutely no sense, hotrod.  I think you are mixing this up with the Freedom of Information Act which is totally different with different legislation.

So, let me get this straight.....Because Justice Cohen swears an oath and is in service of Her Majesty this is the same as the average Canadian who has citizenship so they are automatically authorized.  Not quite, hotrod…lol.  The authority that Cohen received in his capacity as a Commissioner of a Public Inquiry is not the same as some average person just having Canadian citizenship alone.  You need to read the applicable legislation that is mentioned in the commission website.  However, if you are very certain that Section 337 works like the way you say it does in this case I would be very interested in getting an update from you at some point on this website to see if any public servants have been prosecuted.