Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What????  (Read 6092 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
What????
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »

>:( >:( We paid 26 million and the Cohen report may not be made public? If this is even close to true, I expect there should be a campaign to get the report out. This makes me sick and reeks if it's redacted or censored in any way..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/26/bc-sockeye-inquiry-report-public.html
http://

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: What????
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »

Ke-Rist! Harpo has gone so damn far off the rails in so many directions it is becoming Absolutely SICKENING!!  >:(
26.5 Million Tax Dollars went into this. RELEASE the Findings You &%#@!!

Totally PO'd,
Nog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:19:50 PM »

Trying to cover so many things including fish farms? Sad. ::)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:31:52 PM »

Trying to cover so many things including fish farms? Sad. ::)

Very Mortonesque!  Well done.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »

Might be a bit early to be jumping to any conclusion.

It does appear from that article that the idea the report might not be released isn't substantiated by anything but speculation by a reporter based on a lack of information about a release date rather than a fact based on some piece of real information that indicates the report won't be released. A Google search of the news shows that single article is the only one reporting the possibility.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:21:57 AM »

I agree, it is early to be jumping to conclusions based on this news article.  However, the article does states: Under the terms of reference, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen must deliver his report to the federal government by Monday.  This part is true.

It does not state that the government will never release it to the public.  People should be cautious about how much they read into what the media says sometimes.  After reading the posts about this on other forums it seems to be taking on a life all on its own.  Nevertheless, I hope it is released.

hotrod

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »

In accordance to section 337 criminal code of canada, it says the following!

Public servant refusing to deliver property
337. Every one who, being or having been employed in the service of Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province, or in the service of a municipality, and entrusted by virtue of that employment with the receipt, custody, management or control of anything, refuses or fails to deliver it to a person who is authorized to demand it and does demand it is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

[ hotrod
: UCC 1-207 .]

dnibbles

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »

I have a feeling it will leak once submitted  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »

I have a feeling it will leak once submitted  ;)
Please do. ;D ;D

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »

In accordance to section 337 criminal code of canada, it says the following!

Public servant refusing to deliver property
337. Every one who, being or having been employed in the service of Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province, or in the service of a municipality, and entrusted by virtue of that employment with the receipt, custody, management or control of anything, refuses or fails to deliver it to a person who is authorized to demand it and does demand it is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

[ hotrod
: UCC 1-207 .]

Sorry... I'm confused why this is relevant... yes he is a public servant and yes he already has delivered it...so? could you please explain

StillAqua

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »

It will be posted on the commission website after the news conference on Halloween. I expect all you whiners to read it cover to cover before commenting. That should lock this thread up until early December.  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »

hotrod

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »

Sorry... I'm confused why this is relevant... yes he is a public servant and yes he already has delivered it...so? could you please explain

So as it reads, If you or anyone in the public makes a 337 demand for the cohen report to be delivered to you and they refuse, they are breaking the law!

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »

ooh I get it

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »

For me, the key word is “authorized”.  If someone is a lawyer who knows this stuff perhaps they can explain further; however, from my understanding not anyone can make a 337 claim – unless they are authorized.  How can anyone be authorized?  That does not make sense to me.  That’s why I thought I would look into this.  If you read the Term of Reference from the Cohen Commission website it clearly states how the report gets passed along and to whom.

Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, hereby
a. pursuant to paragraph (b) of the definition “department” in section 2 of the Financial Administration Act, designates the Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River as a department for the purposes of that Act; and
b. pursuant to paragraph (b) of the definition “appropriate Minister” in section 2 of the Financial Administration Act, designates the Prime Minister as the appropriate Minister with respect to the Commission referred to in paragraph (a).]

Therefore, Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, hereby

a. directs that a Commission do issue under Part I of the Inquiries Act and under the Great Seal of Canada appointing the Honourable Bruce Cohen as Commissioner to conduct an inquiry into the decline of sockeye salmon in the Fraser River (the “Inquiry”), which Commission shall

xv. direct the Commissioner to submit, on or before October 29, 2010, an interim report, simultaneously in both official languages, to the Governor in Council, setting out the Commissioner’s preliminary views on, and assessment of, any previous examinations, investigations or reports that he deemed relevant to the Inquiry and the Government’s responses to those examinations, investigations and reports, (as replaced by Order in Council P.C. 2010-954 of July 23, 2010)
xvi. direct the Commissioner to submit, on or before October 29, 2012 (as replaced by Order in Council P.C. 2012-1132 of September 24, 2012), one or more reports, simultaneously in both official languages, to the Governor in Council, and
xvii. direct the Commissioner to deposit the records and papers of the Inquiry with the Clerk of the Privy Council as soon after the conclusion of the Inquiry as is reasonably possible

In addition, seeing as though Bruce Cohen is an actual judge I would expect him to realize what the law requires him to do under the circumstances he was under.  Honestly, I do not believe there was ever the intention to not release the report to the public considering the testimony that has been already available to the public on the commission website.  If it was (dumbest move by Harper), it would surely be leaked (as dnibbles stated).

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/Commissioner.php
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:52:44 PM by shuswapsteve »