Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do it Yourself - A Guide to save money on hardware (Inline and Colorado Blades)  (Read 5699 times)

aaron.az

Hey guys, had some extra time inbetween my classes today, One thing i learned, school aint cheap so you gotta find a few ways to save a couple bucks. And with fishing that couple bucks adds up really fast.
Thought id make a quick spreadsheet to show people how much you can make some homemade spinners, will upload video's later this week if anyone wants to know how exactly to put them together. The prices are fairly high but i did buy good gamakatsu hooks and not everything was bought in bulk. Hope I can help someone out with this!

Shawn6o4

thanks for the post, was going to start making some this weekend. I will Probly go to army and navy, I also wanted to make rooster tail type spinners any tips for that? I've made one in a rush while at the lake after losing one of mine with success.

aaron.az

haha No problem Geff, not exactly my point of pricing them out  ;). Definetly gets cheaper the bigger in bulk you buy (and buying things online is much cheaper). Good on you for selling at a decent price for some good gear tho, pretty shitty to see some fisherman not helping out others or giving short words when asking for face to face advice. Shawn maybe ill see what i can do if i can try to make some and offer advice, you want rooster tails with single barbless hooks tho?

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!

1 Pack of Gammies was 10.99 and the other was 11.99 both 1/0 25 packs :o call the cops you got robbed! :o See what happens when you throw nickels around like there manhole covers! 8)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:50:52 AM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Shawn6o4

yes single barbless, I will do some of renown research too and see what I can make of them

Fillibert

Be careful with making spinners. I bought some for cheap and they didn't work. Looked fine with quality components but the blade wouldn't spin. I guess some of the money you pay for blue foxes is to cover R&D. Engineering is not cheap

RyanB

I just started making some spinners.  Very easy and quick.  I think the biggest cost is the hooks. 

I'm considering buying some stuff in bulk to save even more money.  I found this site http://www.luremaking.com/ that sells in bulk.  Anybody have any experience buying from them or have recommendations for other sites that sell in bulk?
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

aaron.az

Hahaha woops. Musta made a error in excel your right shoulda been 11.99. Hmm maybe you just had a design flaw fillibert. Clevises or beads were most likely your problem not the blade. Im gonna experiment with trying to make sorta like a trailing hook design (only one hook tho not like a worm style jig dont worry)

Fillibert

Hahaha woops. Musta made a error in excel your right shoulda been 11.99. Hmm maybe you just had a design flaw fillibert. Clevises or beads were most likely your problem not the blade. Im gonna experiment with trying to make sorta like a trailing hook design (only one hook tho not like a worm style jig dont worry)

I bought 3 different spinners from the same brand. Only one one of them worked sometimes if I cranked on it like crazy otherwise they would just flutter around

aaron.az

Oh so you didnt make them yourself? Army and navy has some for like $1.39 for whatever brand they are but when it comes to commercial products a cheap one usually has a reason for being cheap

bigsnag

• Old Timer

Nikka in Stevston sells split ring,beads,barrel swivels,stainless wire,and can order components in bulk from local suppliers. Give them a call.
It ain't the roe bro'

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

The biggest issue i see locally is the blades are junk.
You have to order from the USA if you want good quality and yes you will pay dearly for it.

typhoon

• Old Timer

Just picked up some Mustad Ultrapoint Siwash hooks from Sea-Run. They are one of the best spinner/spoon hooks - open eye, offset, with a hook point shaped very nice for holding power. 
They weren't too expensive: 50c per hook for an 8 pack. They'll be cheaper if you can find them in bulk.

Floater

• Old Timer

If u want cheap do what i do tie a 0/4 hook on your leader put 3 to 4 beads on the line, put a plastic spinner clip through the line. Clip on any size or colour blade you want. Works great and u dont shed a tear when you leader breaks.
[

skaha

• Old Timer

I just started making some spinners.  Very easy and quick.  I think the biggest cost is the hooks. 

I'm considering buying some stuff in bulk to save even more money.  I found this site http://www.luremaking.com/ that sells in bulk.  Anybody have any experience buying from them or have recommendations for other sites that sell in bulk?

--I have bought from them... they also have instruction books available... most of their components are USA made and bulk price is OK... Canadian Dollars and shipping... Depends on how many you are making and if you want the variety their quantities and prices not bad... To get same components direct from USA you may have to purchase 1000 vs 100 to get much better price plus USA dollar and Shipping although most of this stuff you can get send US postal ground which is not expensive.

--Its not all about saving money.... custom lures for your situation can be a benefit.. shorter shaft or extra bead for different spin or added weight. I've used Mylar spacer on ultralight gear to get better spin without adding weight.
--Conscider buying with a group each getting their special and trade or sell of the rest at cost for more variety.
--Like flyfishing, its part of the fun to make and modify your own lures.