Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: #5 Vibrax spinners  (Read 6661 times)

noobfisher

#5 Vibrax spinners
« on: October 23, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »

Do you guys put any weight onto the line when tossing #5 Vibrax spinners for systems like the Vedder and Fraser?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: #5 Vibrax spinners
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »

Only time i add weight is if i really need it in order to cast.
Otherwise just a swivel 4 ft  up from spinner.
I guess if you were fishing deeper water but i mainly fish slow moving shallow water for them and works for me.

noobfisher

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »

Thanks, any reason for the swivel 4 feet from the spinner? I've always attached a swivel directly to the line and the spinner to the swivel at the end of the line, but I'm also a fishing newbie :)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:40:02 PM »

Firstlight is bang on, you dont need to add any extra weight.It will help your gear sink and get snagged and may affect the motion of the lure as well.
If i want to cast a long long way with my spinning outfit I will put on something heavy like a crok spoon.
If Im using Blue Foxes Ill go from a 2 to a 4 depending in depth and clarity, the bigger the spinner the faster it will sink and get snagged on bottom.
I use a two to three foot leader attached with a swivel, this allows me to use lighter line on my leader and replace line that may be damaged by fish or something else, and the extra swivel works against line twist.

noobfisher

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »

Thanks for the tips!

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »

for example fished by the bridge friday and the water was dirty and high and ugly through on a brigth orange #5 i find some timse they dont sink very well so i put a small chunk of led will let them sink a bit and then i just keep my rod tip up so it dosnt sink

aaron.az

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »

Or customize some Vibrax spinners yourself. just made these 5 up tonight, 2 of them in that vibrax style model. hopeing to give them a go on thursday this week!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 10:52:04 PM »

Nice looking spinners but i would bump up the hook size a notch or two.

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »

I would also change the hook style if possible. Use something with a straight eye rather then one used for bait loops. Nice looking spinners though!

aaron.az

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »

Thanks any recommendations. Just happend i had 1/0 gami's haha the joy of split rings changing a hook in seconds

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:46 AM »

Straight eye siwash is needed for sure but I don't see a need to go larger than 1/0 especially if you are targetting coho.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »

Straight eye siwash is needed for sure but I don't see a need to go larger than 1/0 especially if you are targetting coho.

X2 hook size is fine.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »

I'v switched to 1/0 "normal" sickles on most of my spoons... has resulted in way more hook ups and less lost fish.
The only problem I have ever found with small eyed hooks is sometimes they sit funny on the split ring, but it hasn't seemed to effect hook ups.

Pin-nook

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »

I second bigger hooks as well! Great looking spinners there but if you notice, coho will sometimes follow almost all the way until you lift the spinner out of the water. You have a small hook for a big spinner body and could potentially miss out on fish that strikes.

I also believe that siwash hooks are better suited for hardware as I used to change factory hooks to octopus style but noticed the hook was flailing about when receiving.  This time of the season is hardware time and I would even venture to say that hardware and flys(gross..)would out fish bait or at least hook more coho.

1 thing I have to add and I used to do it myself and see it quite a bit.  If you are using hardware(spinners and spoons) and manage to hook a fish, don't set the hook like you're in Bass Masters but use the fishes weight and if you can reel down and do a sweeping set you will have a better hooking/landing ratio. See fish get lost right after homerun hook set all too much. 

Fillibert

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »

Use a barrel swivel that has split rings to attack hooks when fish rolls or jumps it will absorb some of that. Also it puts the hook a bit farther away from the body and helps with short strikes.
For extra weight I might put a size 10 bullet weight on the line. Just small enough to add weight but not hinder performance