Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: build for a silex  (Read 4901 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
build for a silex
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »

keep looking at myt silex sitting on the shelf and given that the 1010 it was mated to long ago funded some other project/need.

with modern day materials etc. Yea most of my kit is vintage-ish  what would you build to match to the silex?

remember I'm on fixed income, so be gental; suppliers can feel free to wade in as well, with budget ( components only). I do have my own lathe that sits doing less than it should.

have at it!
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: build for a silex
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

Silex's are a classic reel that should be paired with a classic blank. I think it would be right at home on a Sage brown blank 2106lb or 3113lb with a hardy W fitting reel seat. Might be a little over budget, but if the reel is already sitting collecting dust, let it sit a little longer while you acquire the pieces for your custom build.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »

Silex's are a classic reel that should be paired with a classic blank. I think it would be right at home on a Sage brown blank 2106lb or 3113lb with a hardy W fitting reel seat. Might be a little over budget, but if the reel is already sitting collecting dust, let it sit a little longer while you acquire the pieces for your custom build.

X 2 on BNF861's post.
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 01:44:48 PM »

X3 on the Sage 2106lb, especially if its a Jewel or better  ;) Good luck finding a brown blank though ...